Study Room

Register
Sign in

The Moral Question  PV Oliver Cavallo   Closed 

The sunlight was just starting to dim on the horizon as Sebastian left his final class of the day. Slipping his final piece of homework for the week into his bag he began to seek out an area where he could make a start on it all. Based on prior experience, he found it easier to do everything at once than to work on it separately during the week. A larger amount to work on just helped him to focus, gave him a goal to work towards.

Sebastian chose this study out of convenience, rather than choice. With the amount of work they'd been given this week, he'd normally have selected a quieter spot where he could focus on the task at hand and work his way through all of this quickly without any distractions. However, going to the general study had been the quicker option, especially since he didn't really need to make the trip down to his common room for any of this. It wasn't as if it was particularly hard, he'd found that as long as you made the effort to listen and find the right books it wasn't that different to the workload he'd dealt with at home.

Moving towards the closest table he set down the stack of papers in his arms and sat down, sorting through the stack and moving each topic into its own pile and quickly looked over each one. Deciding that History of Magic required the most work he opened the corresponding textbook and flipped to the relevant chapter while noting down any worthwhile information on a separate piece of parchment.

He worked like this for around ten minutes, so engrossed he almost missed the sound of footsteps approaching the area around his table. In response, his gaze moved upwards, noting the amount of work he'd set out was taking up the majority of the workspace. This was the other reason why he usually picked the common room.

Still, there was no point in making a bad first impression. Moving the books he wasn't currently using into his bag he smiled at the boy nearby. "Oh hey do you want to sit here? I was taking up all the space for a second" He noticed the chart in the other boy's hand and gestured towards it. "So are you busy with homework too?"

Life would be tragic if it weren't so funny - Stephen Hawking

Oliver always ended up alone. Although he was often sickeningly-sweet in his politeness, he didn’t often go out of his way to make connections with people. And because he didn’t go out of his way, people returned the favor. And so, he was alone. It wasn’t as if he could relate to most of the students here, anyway. He hadn’t gone to school like the muggle-borns, he hadn’t been taught about magic like the wizard-borns. He couldn’t read as well as they did (because he was ‘dyslexic’, as a friend had informed it. The new bit of information was disconcerting, to say the least)…

The castle was always cramped. It was always too hot or too cold. There was the constant omnipresence of whispers, the gentle hum of human life that was so foreign to his ears. But, he needed to be grateful for what he had. This would be a good growing experience. None of that changed how heavy it weighed on him.

Oliver had never been homesick before, not in all of his travels across England and Italy and Germany, because he had never left home. There had always been his family, his life, and his memories. There had always been the open sky he knew so well, the wild grasses of the field, the shared philosophy that bound his entire bloodline together in common brotherhood. Here, he had none of that. He had never been homesick before, not in this way that turned his stomach and pricked his eyes.

It was easier to ignore when he had to hide it in front of all of his fellow students.

Now, he was struggling to read his History of Magic textbook again. The ceiling reached up further than Oliver would ever reach, but it still seemed as imminent to fall as clouds so pregnant with rain they might burst. In front of him, the words swam like fish across the page, but once he stared and re-read a few times, they were eventually convinced to sit in the right order and actually make words. However, the people who were sharing his current table were prattling along in a manner that certainly didn’t help all that much, so after a minute or two of tolerating them, he hugged his textbook to his chest and moved to another table, with a muttered curse beneath his breath. One with another boy, who seemed hard at work. He would be quiet, most likely.

But, he paused for a second, after he caught what had passed his lips only a moment before. He had let himself become too angered by such a simple thing. As he sat down, he pulled a crumpled piece of paper from his pocket and scratched off the day’s ‘Tranquility’ square reluctantly.

Then, his eyes were drawn up as the boy he had assumed to be hard work offered a seat nearby. Oliver nodded gratefully and took up the chair across from him.

After the boy pointed to his paper, he looked away slightly. “Oh, it’s not homework. It’s, ah, a morality chart.”

' ' Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ' '
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Strength: 9 Agility: 8 Control: 3 Stamina: 10

Despite his original goal of working alone, Sebastian was pleased to find that the other boy had moved to take the seat opposite him. Out of the corner of his eye, he was able to see the table he'd just originally moved from messing about, moving their books around the table, probably some game. They hadn't been bothering him in particular. After all, he'd been blocking out repetitive information from his old teachers for years, it wasn't like some background noise was anything special. At the same time, he couldn't see why they didn't just take it to the Great Hall or the grounds. It wasn't like the study was the place to be at Hogwarts or anything. Why not just move and stop bothering everyone else?

Again, this was proving why he usually did the homework in his dormitory. No need to tune the noise out when you can eliminate the source.

Hearing the answer to his earlier question his head tilted to one side in thought. Morality chart, now that was a new one. Was this chart based on some universally accepted right and wrong or was this the other boys own system. Honestly, he wasn't sure if morality was something you could chart, at least in an unbiased way, but maybe that wasn't the other boy's intention. Well, if he never asked then he'd never know.

"Morality chart, now that's something you don't hear every day. Sounds interesting though, do you have some time to talk about it? It seems like a pretty cool thing to study anyway, I can't say I've met anyone who's put much thought into that kind of thing before."

Oliver was taken aback by the other’s sudden intense interest in his hereditarily-gained hobby. At most, he got an odd glance or two, although he couldn’t really figure out why. He just assumed people either hadn’t yet examined themselves and found their souls lacking, or had attempted to be of upright character, and found the pursuit of it too taxing. But, since no one asked about it, he assumed that everyone knew it was possible to achieve moral perfection.

Now, here was the question. And he was taken aback. Well, perhaps this boy was a muggle-born, and it was only a wizard thing, although Oliver didn’t know a tid of a bit about wizards. Or, maybe his family just thought differently. All of these thoughts rushed by like a gust of wind before Oliver shook himself out of his daze.

He clasped his hands together, as he usually did when he was searching for his words. It was funny. He had been familiar with the chart, the same thirteen lines and seven rows, since he had learned the alphabet, and yet, he could barely think of something to say about it when finally asked.

“Yeah, of course--… I am beginning to think that not many people have put much thought at all into it. My m-- my family taught me it’s important, though.”

Even if people thought it was weird, or useless, Oliver knew it was true. He had thought about it long and hard, just like Grandpapa had told him to, and he had realized how right his family was about it.

If anything, he should be more excited than put off that someone was finally showing interest in his rigid sense of self, but now, his resolved faltered. As it always seemed to do when he was supposed to be strong.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sebastian listened carefully as the other boy spoke. He seemed a little hesitant but still, Sebastian could tell that the topic meant a lot to him, if only due to its rarity. It was true that it wasn't something the typical person cared about all that much, for understandable reasons. At the same time, it was a shame topics like this weren't debated more. If nothing else they generated some interesting information about the other person.

His family taught him this then? Sebastian found that he wasn't particularly surprised by that. A morality chart wasn't the kind of idea you pick up from the other kids at school. He'd picked up enough habits from his own parents despite them working more often than not, Who's to say this boy was any different.

He gave the boy a nod in acknowledgment as he spoke up in response. "Well yeah, it can be a hard topic for the average person to think about. I mean, when you start thinking about the morality of others, you're more likely to start comparing yourself to them. Everyone has their personal version of right and wrong, it's hard for most people to admit that they might not be as upstanding as the next guy. Although, if your family taught you about it, I can see why you're comfortable with the topic."

HIs attention was once again drawn towards the chart across from him as he made a small motion towards it with his hand before speaking again. "So anyway, how does your chart play into all of it? Do you use it to chart the morality of the people you meet?"

Oliver understood what his companion was saying. In some ways, morality could be subjective. It depended upon motive, context, and people involved in every situation. But there was also a definite objective truth that could be discerned. Everyone had universal morality in their hearts from the beginning of their lives. Everyone knows that killing is wrong, stealing is wrong, lying, etc. etc… And if we know at least that, that don’t we have the potential to discern the morality of any action with correct logic and reasoning? The problem was that people didn’t think about this sort of stuff to know all of the ins and outs of the subject. They had so many blind spots that they couldn’t properly act in a way that is just and good. After all, it is man’s purpose to do good to his neighbor.

“Oh, no, I would never!” Oliver looked horrified to even consider the thought. It was not in his place to judge anyone’s character. He couldn’t see into someone else’s heart. And even if he was tracking his own opinion of other people’s morality, what would he do about it? What use would he have? Surely, it would just puff up his own ego to continuously be aware of what he considered to be other people’s faults.

“It’s for me. Benjamin Franklin came up with this chart… Whenever I catch myself violating one of these thirteen essential virtues, I mark it down for that day. Then I know what I need to work on.” He smiled enthusiastically. Now that he was sure that this boy genuinely cared about this, he was much more open to talking.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson