Study Room

Register
Sign in
  Back

Knit My Problem  PV Remy Alto   Closed 

Interactions | NIL

The Hospital Wing had been nowhere near as terrifying as the rumors had made it out to be. In fact, her experience there, while rather dimly lit, had actually been rather pleasant. A quick incantation had fixed up Dinara's ankle and wrist faster than she she could even blink! Perhaps placing a little more trust in the unknown would be beneficial to the young girl. It was in this moment that a sudden interest and a passion for learning more about magical cures and spells would ignite in the young girl.

Before the manifestation of her powers, Dinara had always wanted to be a doctor. Not a vet, simply because she didn't think she could stomach seeing all those cute critters get injured. To her, the human body seemed incredible; for it to be able to regenerate so many times even after it gets knocked down time and time again is nothing short of a miracle. She also had the utmost respect for Muggle nurses who toiled hours and hours with the sole goal of saving someone's life! It's truly a remarkable act of pure goodness that Dinara hoped she'd one day be able to emulate.

Now that there seemed to be a more efficient way to be able to help to rid people of their ailments, Dinara was more than excited to learn about it. She hadn't seen anything in her textbooks (which she had briefly flipped ahead in order to get a headstart in class for) that had mentioned anything that was anywhere near the healing spell that the nurse had used on her. Nevertheless, Dinara had made up her mind to find out more if she could ever become a magical doctor. For now, she would have to settle for doing other things that were out of the goodness of her heart.

The whole reason why the young Huffle was hiding out in the Study Room during such a festive season rather than going out to mingle with her friends was also an act of pure goodness from her own heart. Surrounded by balls of yarn and knitting needles of various sizes, Dinara worked tirelessly with only the soft crackle of the fireplace and the steady clicks of her knitting needles to accompany her.

Piles of wooly sweaters, scarves, socks and gloves were neatly folded into different sets, different names clearly knitted into the design of each sweater to indicate the receiver of each set. If one looked beyond the balls of yarn which were the objects that predominantly occupied the majority of the tablespace, they would also notice the various spools of thread and a sewing kit at the side, along with several fabric adhesives. Apart from her knitted clothing, Dinara also had made use of her embroidery experience to make little iron-on patches that she intended to give out to her other friends; be it simply Housemates or acquaintances that she's not had the pleasure of getting to know better.

The iron-on patches came in various shapes and designs, but Dinara was proudest of a sunflower design that she had done. She had intended for these patches to be nice little additions to the students' scarves or robes, though she wasn't entirely sure if that was against the school rules. Letting out a loud breath of air and wiping off a small bead of sweat off her forehead, Dinara quickly turned her attention back to the current task at hand -- a pale yellow and white scarf for her brother back home.
Last edited by Cecily Quinn on 24th December 2018, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Strength 3 ✣ Agility 9 ✣ Control 8 ✣ Stamina 10
Make a Din!
“Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be!”

Remy was never much the person to study. He was very whiny about academics and hated doing his homework. Some might call him lazy, but he was a very diligent and hardworking boy. His determination was quite impressive and admirable for an eleven-year-old to have. Something about people trying to tell him what to do and telling him what to learn would tick him off though. Maybe it was just his pre-pubescent self being rebellious. If it was so, Remy would definitely get even worse when his actual teen years would come around.

He was humming quietly to himself. The reason why he was going to the study room (something that was very rare) because he had a random spurt of motivation to finish the work that he had started not that long ago. The other day he was supposed to finish his work and he had climbed on top of a tree branch on the grounds and started with his work. He had only gotten maybe midway through before he was distracted by Anatole France and Loser Lucey. Remy often found her lurking in his mind after the incident that caused her to mess up her limbs.

He tried to run his fingers through his hair, failed because of the tangles he had and gave up. He had this weird choppy texture to his hair that made it look like a raven's nest despite his hair being straight. Maybe he should start taking care of his hair to achieve those shiny and smooth looks that his brothers were blessed with. It was only Remy who had received his mom's frizzy texture and dad's straight hair. Terrible to work with! At this point, he had given up on his looks.

Remy had left his copy of Thais at the boys' dormitory, hoping that no one found the time to destroy it. He walked through the corridors to the study room, and when he arrived, something caught his eyes. In the midst of it all, sticking out like a sore thumb, there she was. He wasn't sure if his heart sank from disappointment or skipped a beat upon seeing his rival-friend. Remy held his breath and observed her for a while. She was buried under heaps of yarn and all kinds of things that were crafted by hand. Dinara Lucey sure was something, it almost felt like she was following him.

He scratched his temple and let out a small grunt escape his lips. He picked a chair a few ones from her, deciding that he would not be distracted nor would he distract the girl. Pulling it back and seating himself, he reached for his back. He placed his books right there, opened them from the right page. Remy also searched for his ink and a quill. He hated quills, the idea of not being able to erase something was terrible and made him anxious. He already had terrible handwriting and he was awfully slow at reading, why would they antagonize him even more with this?

Starting to read his homework, he couldn't help but steal a glance every once in a while. What was she doing? Why was she so occupied? Remy was rather intrigued by her and her secret hobbies. No finger sweaters in sight, he thought. He forced his eyes to shift towards the books again and started to read his homework. Scribbling some notes down here and there occasionally, he found his peace and focus finally.

Strength - 4 - Agility - 9 - Control - 9 - Stamina - 8

Interactions | @Remy Alto

The soft footsteps that signaled the entrance of another student into the Study Room barely roused Dinara from her state of focus, her eyes never budging from the pattern that was starting to form beneath her needles. Her ability to zone out and focus solely on the task at hand may seem surprising to many people who only saw Dinara as the 'hype girl', but those who were closer to her knew that that was simply the way she functioned. Her extremities didn't just apply to her emotions -- Dinara tended to focus her 101% on anything that she's decided to commit to.

As her needles worked furiously under the light of the fireplace, her wrists which had been working non-stop for the past few hours were begging for a rest. Finishing up the last of the pair of gloves which she had been working on, Dinara let out a loud sigh of relief, stretching her weary arms and shoulders out. She was glad that classes had been relatively light in terms of workload lately; these presents and cards would have to be sent out by tonight!

Thankfully, the cards and the knitted sets had already been completed. The only thing left for Dinara to complete were the little embroidery patches that she had planned on distributing to her fellow Hogwarts schoolmates, though those shouldn't take very long. In the next 4 hours or so, Dinara should be able finish the last of the patches.

From the peripheral of her eye, she noticed a ebony-haired boy who was bent over a piece of parchment, his quill scratching rapidly. He vaguely reminded the young girl of her rival-friend, Remy Alto. She may have regarded the mysterious boy as a rival, yet somehow he occupied her thoughts more often than she'd like to admit. Of all her years dealing with the boys in her neighbourhood, she's hardly ever referred to anyone as 'mysterious'.

Smiling gently as their past adventures flooded back to her, Dinara was suddenly reminded of that one instance where the boy had seemed to let his guard drop. Right before he sent her into that Hospital Wing, she felt like she had almost glimpsed the real Remy -- what of him that lay beneath the wit and the snark.

As much as the student reminded her of him, Dinara quickly dismissed the rather ridiculous thoughts. Remy Alto, studying? Not a chance. Besides, loads of male students had black hair. What are the odds that he would stumble into the exact room that Dinara was camping out in rather than study in his own Common Room?

"Now that these are finished..." Dinara pushed aside a set of clothing, one with what suspiciously looked like 'Rem' knitted on the front of the sweater towards the ebony haired boy. Dinara hadn't meant to take up more space than what someone typically did! Smiling apologetically at the male, she slid an embroidery patch over to him. "I'm sorry for taking up a little of your space! If you need me to move my things, just let me know! Anyway, this is for you, fellow Hogwarts friend! Happy Holidays!"

She figured that the first patch she'd be giving out should be something nice. That's why Dinara had decided to donate her proudest work, her sunflower patch, to this stranger. This was indeed the season of giving, wasn't it?

Make a Din!

He could almost feel her eyes. She might be looking at him with just her peripheral vision, but he could just...feel it! That, or he was just being paranoid as he sometimes was. He was the one who had his eyes glued on her this time. Remy was a person who was often awfully well aware of his surroundings. Observant, always scanning the rooms and the people that inhabited them. His sharp eyes analyzed everything they came across. Some people found his gaze intimidating, there wasn't much he could do about his own two eyes. Maybe it was the very dark color of his irises, maybe it was the serious expression he often wore on his face. Perhaps all this combined with his tallness gave out a message that told people not to approach him.

For some reason, this one person was not afraid of approaching him. Loser Lucey would oppose him, defy his dominance. He found it annoying in all honesty, but there was something intriguing about it too. Remy subconsciously shuffled his legs around, eventually crossing them as he became painfully aware that he was the one who was creepily staring now. Shaking his head he bent over the piece of parchment again. He had already done lots of work by now, he was quite proud of his procrastinating self. Finally, he could feel the stress that had made his muscles ache wash slowly away.

As he realized that his parchment was ending short, he started to play around with his quill. Placing it on his cupid's bow, he tried to balance the quill by puckering his lips. He failed (surprise surprise) and gave up. By the time he had quit playing around, he noted that the girl had started to creep on his territory. What a pain. Why did it have to be her from all the people? Then again, she did make his day a bit more entertaining with her appearance. Yeah, a simple glance at her would take him back on their - in retrospect - stupid shenanigans. Remy looked at the heaps of knitted things and yarn again clearly impressed. It seemed that she had survived the horrors of the hospital wing. The whiny girl looked just fine. Judging by the work she had done, at least her wrist was doing fine

She kept on pushing stuff on his area, Remy didn't dare to disturb her. It was peaceful for now and he would love to keep it that way. He pushed his ink away, careful not to stain her precious craft. Upon closer inspection, he noted the letters R, E, and M on something that looked like a sweater. Raising his brow suspiciously at this, he dropped the idea. Why on Earth would she give Remy something like this? It probably took her lots of time and effort to knit these things. Why would she waste her energy and time on him? Her alleged rival? Scratching his temples, he just figured that this was for someone with a similar name or nickname. He had specifically told her not to call him Rem, she would have listened to him, right?

Well, of course, she would not listen to him. He just liked to think that she did. It was his own little fantasy, escape to a dream world where Dinara Lucey was not as stubborn as she was. Ah, that would have been a wonderful and utopic world. A utopic one because it would never exist. Remy shifted his focus on the sweater again, trying to come up with names starting with Rem. He didn't come up with that many but still refused to believe that this one would be for him. It did not make sense! As simple as that.

She finally spoke up after the silence in the study room. Remy immediately perked up and looked up and listened attentively, as if he had not noticed her before. He blinked slowly as she slid something for him and wished him happy holidays. Fellow Hogwarts friend? What was that supposed to mean! Looking at her with a blunt face, he couldn't help but snort a bit.

"Are you dumb?" was all he could blurt out. Not the most thankful or respectful answer, but at least he spoke his mind truthfully. Dinara Lucey didn't even recognize her own rival?

Her words caught in her throat when she realised who she had been speaking to. Her suspicions were right -- the raven-haired boy wasn't some mere lookalike, he WAS Remy! Quickly clearing away her look of confusion, she looked around at the other students who were already preparing to leave the Study Room. She didn't blame them, most students wouldn't study late into the evenings. Even if they did, it would often times be at the library for some light reading.

Knitting her brows together, Dinara spoke in hushed tones. "Well, I didn't recognise you. Who'd have thought Galto would be over here studying?" In spite of herself, a smile played on her lips as she waved the sunflower patch in front of him. "Now, do you still want this or not? I have others to complete."

Gesturing towards the small basket which was already filled to the brim with patches of various designs, Dinara pulled out a piece of paper that was half filled with sketches of the remaining patches she was planning to make. "Well, if you would rather something else other than my personal favourite sunflower, you can draw it out and I'll do my best to stitch it out for you." As she said that, she slid the paper and a wooden pencil over to the young boy.

While their little exchange was going on, the rest of the students had somehow unknowingly filed out of the room, leaving the two with ample space to work in the small room. Turning her attention back to her crafts, Dinara started to organise the sweaters, socks, gloves and scarves into neat bundles to be owl-ed out to the respective recipient. All this while, the sweater bundle with the letters 'R', 'E' and 'M' was getting pushed closer and closer to the boy, almost as if it were taunting him.

Of course, Dinara was completely oblivious to the situation at hand. She wouldn't have guessed that Remy would've found anything off about it. Heck, she was so focused on completing the work that a pig could fly across the room and she wouldn't think twice about it! (Not that that's unusual for Hogwarts)

Humming cheerfully as she picked up her needle, Dinara referred to the detailed sketch to her side as she started to stitch out her next design -- a small bowling pin. If you ask her why, she wouldn't be able to tell you. It was just something that she thought would look cute and in true Dinara fashion, she acted upon it without much further thought.

Make a Din!

As she spoke, he did not feel ashamed to stare anymore. She did not strike him as a person who was fussy about manners and etiquette, so maybe she would not think of staring as rude. Intensely focusing on her as if she was a puzzle of some sorts, he didn't let his gaze falter. He could hear other students starting to scurry in their places and start gathering their stuff. He didn't blame them. No matter how quietly Remy tried to talk, in the presence of Miss Pretty Sunshine Doll he'd have troubles to control his voice. Not that he cared, this was more important than whatever the rest were doing. They could read in their dorm rooms or something.

He matched her expression and knit his eyebrows together too. "I told you not to use that nickname. Just call me by the real name that my parents gave me," he demanded, although it was a bit hard to take him seriously. He was leaning forward to hear her better and looked like he'd fling right out of his seat any moment if she said something 'scandalous' in his books. Finally softening his concrete expression, he continued; "Why are you giving me this? I thought that you hated me," it was a weird way to say thank you, but there was a tiny, baby smile on his face as he accepted her gift.

He looked at the basket filled with creations and a small and innocent gasp escaped his lips. So! Many! Exciting! Things! He decided to keep his composure and leaned back as the last students that had attempted to study or read in here left the place. Finally, he could yell as much as he wanted. He was feeling rather energetic now. Might be the effect of Dinara Lucey, or the fact that he had stuffed his cheeks with toffee before this. Some people had commented that Remy's breath always smelled almost intoxicatingly sweet.

He looked at the sketches she later pulled and inspected them. She really had a thing for cutesy patterns and phenomena, didn't she? He shook his way, waving the gift she had already given him. "No. I like it. Reminds me of-" he stopped before continuing. Remy should really think twice before starting to speak. Just giving a quick smile at the end of the sentence in hopes of distracting her, he said nothing more.

Still, he picked up the wooden pencil. These things would beat quills any time, anywhere. Something he had brought from the muggle world was wooden pencils. Quills sucked! Oh, the amounts of parchment he had ruined and wasted just because of too many mistakes that he could not erase because of all the ink he used. Erasers were his best friend. He wished that erasers existed everywhere in life... He finally got her message as the 'REM' started approaching him. What was she doing, making him uncomfortable on purpose? He clicked his tongue and picked up the sweater. He got the message, alright? She didn't know how to give it to him!

"Rapid Eye Movement? Looks great, I wonder who is it for?" he gently fiddled with the sweater next to him. Remy had a gift for her too. He didn't have it with him (Obviously, he did not think that he'd meet a lioness in here), but after guilt his thoughts gnawing him from his insides after all he put her through, he decided that maybe a small gift could make up for his mistakes. He tilted his head slowly but surely to his side, bringing his whole body with him and in the end, slumping on the table. "After all the whining and pathetic attempts to escape, your wrist seems to be doing just fine. Don't know about your ankle just yet, I presume it's fine too. he teased her about the day she tried to wiggle away from him and tried to use her 'feminine charms' to convince him.

Dismissing his 'demand' for her to call him by his given name, Dinara continued to work. The outline of the bowling pin had already begun to take shape, and she picked up another needle with a white thread through it in order to colour in the patch. Raising an eyebrow at his question, she scrunched up her nose, a gentle smile adorning her face. " Why would you think I hated you? Even if I did, it's Christmas! Everyone deserves gifts on Christmas." The tone of voice and the somewhat demure expression didn't quite seem to match Dinara's usual personality.

Crafts had always reminded her of her late grandmother and it always put her at an odd place of peace and wistfulness. Besides, Remy Alto's presence often seemed to make her behave in ways she would usually never. This time was no exception. His small gasp as she pushed the basket within sight did not go unnoticed by the girl, a small sliver of pride finding it's way into her gaze. "Go ahead and look through the basket to see if you want anything else! You seem to like it very much." His reaction to the sunflower patch only served to boost her confidence, something that she graciously took in stride.

As much as Dinara Lucey waved about her inflated ego, it was really just for show. She wasn't a particularly arrogant person by nature, but the things that she took pride in (such as her work, be it academic or hobbies), she really puts in the time and dedication for it.

He didn't seem to finish his sentence though. She was glad he had liked her personal choice of design -- Dinara reckons that sunflowers will never fail to brighten up a room. Cocking her head curiously, she echoed his words, not unlike a parrot eager for a treat. "Reminds you of...?" Dinara also mimicked his smile -- one that wasn't a mocking grin. Christmas truly does have it's magic! For Remy to be so... Nice?

Struggling to stay focused on her work, Dinara remained blissfully oblivious to the boy's thoughts and scheming as he watched the sweater. His sudden question knocked her out of her little embroidery world, leading her to turn to him with a confused expression on her face. Rapid Eye Movement? What was he going on about?

Eyeing the sweater, something suddenly clicked in her brain. He must have thought the sweater was meant for him! Letting out a little bubble of laughter, she tugged the sweater set away from him and unfolded it to reveal the word 'REMU' plastered in white against the dark green of the sweater. "No, not Rapid Eye Movement! This one is for my mom's friend's aunt's cousin, Remulus!"

Smiling brightly, she put Remulus' sweater set aside. One may call her foolish for putting in so much effort so such a supposed distant association, but fact of the matter was that Remulus had actually been one of her closest childhood mentors. It was just that referring to him by his alternative title seemed much cooler.

What Remy didn't know was that while the sweater labelled 'Rem' wasn't his, there was indeed something that Dinara had prepared for him, though it was positioned quite a distance away from him and hidden out of sight amidst all the other bundles of sweaters. Besides, the particular bundle prepared for him wasn't even labelled with his name! At least, not with his given name. The boy would have a hard time looking for it if he were to try.

Make a Din!

He gave out a shrug as she asked why he would hate her. Well, there were many reasons. First of all, something about her face was just making him feel intense annoyance. Second of at all, she had beaten him in all kinds of games and whatnot. Third of all, she was similar enough to him to annoy him but different enough to also annoy him. He obviously did not start listing these things, he was going through them in his mind alone. "That doesn't make sense. I thought we were supposed to hate each other," this time even the emotionless Remy sounded confused. It was a question targeted at the bot of them, Remy and Dinara alike.

He shook his head enthusiastically, somehow contradicting himself. "No, I'm just surprised that you can actually do something," he tried to cover his own excitement about the things that she had made by subtly insulting her. He knew that she wouldn't take this seriously anyway. She should probably know by now that he didn't mean anything that came out of his mouth nine times out of ten. The rest would be unnecessary blurts of segments from his mind that shouldn't be said. He wondered what was about Christmas that made her act suddenly twice as nice as she had been before. Maybe this was her favorite holiday? His personal favorite was the day of the dead, for obvious reasons. That just fit his image. It was time to play annoying Remy again, enough of this niceness. He had already got to taste the consequences of being nice to her. Being mean worked much better and felt more natural.

"Reminds me of..." he took a look at his little gift and pondered for a good alternative answer. "I..uh, Brazil?" he asked with a sheepish smile and a tone that was basically asking if she accepted this as an answer. Well, it was sunny in Brazil, she should accept his half-baked answer. He was busy trying to save himself and her in here from future embarrassment of his thoughtless and meaningless blurts. She tugged the sweater from him and he gladly gave it away. No use in fighting her, that never ended well.

She explained about her cousin, and it was an a-ha moment for him. He mouthed something again to 'Oh' and quickly looked at his parchment. Of course! It just did not make sense that she would make him a gift. Then...why the hell did he buy her one? He was having an identity crisis in here, but due to his hatred towards thinking, it ended short and early before he could come into some sort of a conclusion. Who made gifts to their mom's friend's aunt's cousin? Well, that explained her massive amounts of gifts that were all over the tables. He gave a snarky smile, what a loser, seriously.

"Remulus huh?" he nodded his head side to side as if he was contemplating something. Sounded like his mom's friend's aunt's cousin's parents had trouble choosing between Romulus and Remus and decided to smash both of them together, creating Remulus. Pffft, Remy was much better of a name. What did it mean again? Grandfather had explained the origin of his name once. Something about it coming from Latin. He didn't remember the exact meaning anymore. But he sure remembered what Alto meant! Tall! Obviously, it was a fitting name. Good choice, good call random ancestor who picked a surname for himself! It must be a genetic thing, the tallness of everyone in the family.

"And here I was, worrying about your frail little limbs and joints but you never answered my question about them," it had not even been a question. Remy was just asking subtly and nicely for her to react to his teasing from before. While Dinara had worn a rather demure expression, Remy too had been unusually upbeat. Jumping on walls before coming in here and struggling to stay put in one place for long times.

Interactions | NIL

Replaying his words in her mind, she put her thread and her little bowling pin down. Wait, they were supposed to hate each other? Dinara knew that they were some form of rivals, but rivals didn't necessarily hate each other... Right? "Do you hate me then?" She asked pointedly. There was no use of her 'feminine charms' here, yet one might think her voice sounded a little sad. Almost like a puppy who brought the ball to someone who didn't want to play.

Picking up her needle once again, Dinara failed to pick up on Remy's thinly veiled excitement. As poor of a disguise as his insult was, Dinara wasn't exactly known for her insight. Shrugging casually, she nodded slowly, slightly confused. Mr. Nice Remy seemed to disappear and re-appear at the oddest of times, with seemingly no warning whatsoever. "I mean, now you can see it? Does that clear away your doubts?" Her tone wasn't defensive or threatening whatsoever, it was a very matter of fact statement; though the girl's bluntness could very well be misinterpreted by someone more sensitive. It was just in her nature to be very forthcoming about things.

Once again she struggled to focus. It was like Remy's presence magically caused her productivity to fall exponentially, but she would never allow him to find out that he had such an effect on her. He'd probably blabber on about him being 'distracting' or something of that sort. It'll only boost his ego further!

She continued to work, her hands nimble as they worked to fill in the outline of the bowling pin. His answer seemed... Weird, to say the least. Brazil? What does that have to do with sunflowers? Raising an eyebrow at his less-than-convincing answer, she nodded, feeling rather apprehensive. "...O...kay? She wasn't quite sure what he meant, but didn't bother to clarify. Everyone has their quirks, why would Remy be any different?

As she explained about her friend Remulus, he seemed almost... Disappointed. The small 'oh' he had let out and his downtrodden face softened her otherwise steely face. Pushing her needle aside, she stood up at peered down at the boy, her small frame barely taller than him even while she was standing and he was seated. "Don't look so down! Look through these bundles, you might see something you like."

Waving her hand over her neat little bundles, Dinara wasn't sure if Remy would be able to find his sweater. She'd used her precious silver yarn on his jacket, a forest green sweater with the word 'Gato' spelled across the front in silver. Dinara had taken the liberty to find out what the boy's proposed nickname meant from her other friends and had very nicely put on a small cat patch on the hem of the sweater sleeves as well.

It was well camouflaged amongst the other sweaters, no doubt. Sweaters of all colours decorated the table, and Remy's green one blended in nicely in a section with blues and other greens. Folded in each bundle was a sweater, a scarf, gloves and woolly socks -- Dinara figured if she were to make something she may as well make a set of it.

His statement about her injuries made the corners of her mouth twitch upwards. Leaning over towards him, she opened her eyes wide and batted her eyelashes omce again, puffing out her cheeks and sticking her bottom lip out. "Aw, was Galto worried about me?" Sticking her tongue out, she smiled mischevously before letting out a loud guffaw. "But well, yeah! I feel great. I want to be a magical doctor now. Healers! I think that's what they're called." A hint of her excitement escaped through the calm that befell Dinara Lucey, glimpses of her typical self showing through.

Make a Din!

He wasn't sure what to answer. Ruffling his hair and licking the corner of his lips in a way more stressed manner, he really had to think on this one. Should he lie and say yes, clearing out their odd relationship? Or perhaps say no and just continue residing in this awkward zone between lowland and highland? He decided that it was better to be truthful and honest, even if it meant confusion. He was the one to confide to if you wanted to confuse everyone. Remy practically wreaked havoc as his job! Sadly, you could not get a living out of it.

"I don't hate you," he said each word slowly and with much weight. He stared into her eyes like he was looking for her soul from somewhere beyond this wall. He had detected the little bit of a melancholic tone and he absolutely despised it. She shouldn't be sad at all, it rubbed on him and made the air in this room feel heavy. Remy didn't like to be gloomy for too much. Of course, he would occasionally answer with only tired sighs but would be back to his energetic self just as soon as he could.

He fed off of her blunt tones and gave out a sneer once again. "I still have my doubts," he teased her but stopped early. He looked at the gift he had been given with a fond face. He wasn't really sure what he was supposed to do with this. Maybe he'd just keep it in one of those boxes where you kept all the important trinkets that had no other use but to just send people down the memory lane. Then after years (presuming that he hadn't been killed by the school's squid or something) he could take a look at the box and feel sad about his miserable life, wondering where it went wrong! Wait, no. Sounded too grim. Remy knew his fate lied in conquering the world. That seemed much more fitting for a future. He knew his destiny was to do something great! Maybe pull the biggest prank that Hogwarts had ever seen, maybe become a dictator. Who knows. He had big plans, that was all he knew for sure.

Instead of expanding his web of lies like a spider, he stayed quiet before choosing to play safe. The boy imitated her fearful-sounding 'Okay' and neatly folded his arms on his lap. She suggested that he should look through her mountains of work, which he declined with a shake of his head and a hand showing the universal 'no thanks' sign. He didn't dare to rummage through her stuff. It felt like an invasion of privacy. Sure, he could shove around people less than three-quarters of his size, but to go through someone's things? No thanks, he'd pass even when presented with permission!

He leaned back on the chair and lifted his legs and feet on the table. After all, no one was here and he doubted that she cared. She had shown to be a messy person herself. Maybe except for the preciseness that knitting and other little things that needed all the focus for all those intricate little details. She said that she was still practicing, and he let his mind wander, take a walk for a short bit after thinking for a few minutes. What could she do in the future? Harness the powers of sweaters and be the next super-grandmother? The idea of an old Dinara Lucey made Remy chuckle as he was brought back to this world again.

Yes, I worried for not only you but the nurse too! If I had it bad with you, how much did she have to tolerate your wiggly nature?" he asked, raising a brow as he too leaned forward. She was doing that despicable puffy cheeks thing again and Remy just had to roll his eyes at it. At this point, he'd have trails in the back of his eyes because of all the eye rolling. He was surprised that she had decided on her career so quickly. He had done so too, but there was no hesitation in her voice. She was always so determined, he wondered what the secret to that kind of passion was?

"You're going to have to deal with lots of whiny kids just like you if you become one," he said, no malice in his voice this time. It was just the truth. Most people hated getting themselves treated for some reason and had no respect for people who sacrificed many hours from their weeks to heal and salvage others. It was disrespectful, unnecessary and stupid, but still happened. Would she be able to take such things on? Nonetheless, he respected her decision and her will to help others. It was a virtue, after all.

"You'll make a great healer then," he cheered her on and crossed his arms the moment he made a compliment.

The young boy seemed rather stressed at the question that Dinara had posed. She didn't blame him -- that's how most people typically reacted when faced with Dinara Lucey. She had a talent for being unaffected in situations which most others would consider awkward. This coupled with her blunt manner of talking often led to situations such as this where the other party is unwittingly forced into a corner.

His piercing gaze bore into hers, two darks pools mirroring her reflection in them. Staring at her reflection in his eyes, she saw a young girl who looked rather... haphazard. Her hair was much messier than she had thought it to be, and somehow her face looked much rounder than she remembered. Frantically trying to run her fingers through her hair in an attempt to neaten it, Dinara quickly looked away, her face flushing red with the familiar feeling of creeping embarrassment. It seemed that, more often than not, she was more self-conscious around Remy. It must be because he would exploit all her flaws and make fun of her! That must be it.

Pretending to fiddle with her needle, the corners of her lips lifted into a small smile. "That's... That's good to know." Unsure of how to react, she poked him teasingly with the blunt end of her knitting needle.

"That makes us friends then, doesn't it? Her smile widened as she said that, especially with the emphasis on the word 'friends'. Although she did say that to get a reaction of out the normally composed boy, Dinara herself wasn't quite sure what to make of him.

Pushing that thought to the very back of her mind, Dinara put her needle down, choosing to focus her attention on the enigma that lay in front of her in the form of a young boy with feet propped up on the table. He didn't return the favor, instead opting to stare down at the little sunflower patch that Dinara had just handed to him not too long ago. Did he, perhaps, not know what to do with it? "I can sew that onto something for you if you want. Maybe your pencil case or... or your scarf!" Dinara's suggestion had somehow ended up becoming an exclamation. Scarves! What a great idea! She looked at the boy hopefully. Though she wasn't trying to pull the doe-eyed effect or anything, something about her eyes made her seem like an over-enthusiastic puppy. One could almost see her tail wagging excitedly as she spoke!

His declination of Dinara's offer to have him look through her bundles of sweaters left her in a rather awkward position. How else would she be able to give him her gift? Frowning as she thought, Dinara was suddenly hit by a 'Eureka' moment. She moved with all the speed of a cheetah and chucked one of her pencils behind him. "Oops, how clumsy of me. Could you help pick that up, please?" While Dinara's speed was nothing to scorn at, her acting was a whole different story. Even the most naive of people could pick up on her over-exaggerated 'acting' -- it wasn't so much an act as much as a scene from a comedy show!

Holding the sweater bundle labeled 'Gato' in her lap, Dinara waited patiently for the boy to be distracted and to turn and pick her pencil up for her. Her little scheme was to place the sweater under his chair while he was distracted and surprise him with the gift, though wiser minds would surely spot the (numerous) flaws present in this plan. Nevertheless, she continued to speak as per normal; though her eyes suspiciously bright and her voice holding a quiver of excitement.

A loud chuckle escaped the girl when the boy spoke about the nurse. "By that time I'd more or less already given up. Plus, the nurse only waved her wand over me and all was good! It was like magic!" Barely realising the stupidity of the statement that'd just escaped, she cleared her throat and corrected herself.

"I mean, it is magic. But I daresay I'm pretty good with kids! I had to take care of little Deb all the time so I'm pretty experienced." Pumping her fist up enthusiastically, Dinara acknowledged the male's attention with a sharp nod of her head as she turned to face him.

She was then suddenly made aware of the close proximity in which they were in. Dinara's heart jumped and she too jumped along with it. Squeezing her eyes shut in embarrassment, she quickly tried to play it off, moving swiftly along to the next topic. "What about you? Have you ever thought about what you want to be?"

Make a Din!

He didn't understand what suddenly threw her off. She started meddling with her hair like it was some kind of a nuisance. It was a familiar feeling, trying to tame one's hair when you had to work with something that wasn't considered traditionally pretty or conventional. Not that it would stop him from relentlessly teasing her and her looks. Nothing was wrong with her, it was just entertaining. Remy shrugged lightly to himself as he waited for her to be done with the lion's mane. He smiled at the idea of the raven's nest sitting on his head and her lion mane. Would have been funnier if they would have been Ravenclaws and Gryffindors.

She suddenly poked him with her needle (the blunt end, thank the heavens) and asked him a question. No, it was more like a statement. Friends? It was a revolting idea, being friends with Dinara Lucey. But here he was, unsure if he should even begin to disagree and argue with her. He intertwined his fingers and locked them under his chin, placing his elbows on the table and removing his legs back down. There was a short silence as he thought about his answer. To avoid his cheeks reddening, he tried to look to the side so she wouldn't have to stare into his eyes.

"I don't care what you call us. You're just miss pretty sunshine doll to me. Or loser Lucey if you prefer. Why do you need a label to go with that?" he asked with some genuine curiosity. It didn't matter, right? They both could just be confused together. He did not mind the idea of living in this awkward state forever! He loved the kick he got out of annoying and teasing her. She seemed to be a reliable friend too. Why else would have he helped her? Remy was sure it was his instinct telling him that she was someone he could trust. That or the yellow and black scarf she often wore.

He caressed the place she poked him in. She knew that he bruised easily! Shooting daggers at her but still letting the smile on his face display itself. He wasn't ashamed to smile anymore, even if it was just a subtle little turn of one corner of his mouth. It didn't matter, she was the only one who was seeing it anyway. If she would tell someone, no one would believe her. Remy Alto smiling out of something else than pure malice? Scandalous! Well, not that anyone really cared about those kinds of things. That was just him dreaming.

She wanted him to give up his scarf once again for her to sew this patch on. He felt the patch with his index and middle finger, playing around with it. Whatever, she would get to do whatever she wanted with it. He shrugged once again in agreement and handed it to her. "Do as you wish, you know more about these things than me," he grabbed the scarf from next to him and handed it over to her too. It was almost like this scarf was hers right now, it spent so much time with her. He couldn't resist the doe-eyes anyway and gave up.

He flinched as she suddenly performed some...action and flung the pencil behind him. Remy stared at her for a while, raised an eyebrow as a way to question if he should be the one picking that up. He finally just rolled his eyes and lazily stood up to get the pencil. He crouched to get the pencil and fiddled with it for a little bit before standing up once again, back still facing the girl.
"Deb?" he asked, refusing to turn toward her. He exhaled as she started talking about magic as if it wasn't a common thing. They were witches and wizards. What was this about? Had she forgotten? Dimwit.

Dinara Lucey was a young girl who didn't exactly enjoy uncertainty. She thrived on being in the know and knowing how to appropriately react to situations. This, of course, came with the down side of her being somewhat myopic when it comes to her worldview on certain topics. The girl can be rather hardheaded in seeing the world in a purely black and white manner, ignoring all the various shades of grey that can be found between.

Which is why Remy's answer proved to be rather unsatisfactory to her. Sure, they could always be stuck in this weird state, but Dinara absolutely detested not knowing. As much as she enjoyed this process, she didn't want to be stuck feeling confused and having Remy Alto stuck on her mind for the rest of her life! "Yeah, we don't have to label anything... But this confuses me and I think about you too much."

Upon realising what she had blurted out, Dinara quickly tried to explain herself. "Well, in the sense that because I spend a lot of time trying to think and figure out what we are. Not that I think about you you specifically." Her half-lie came out rather smoothly for someone as bad at lying as Dinara Lucey. Deciding that she shouldn't speak much more on this subject, she turned away and took a sudden vested interest in the wood grains of the table.

She grabbed the scarf that Remy had tossed at her in surprise. He didn't seem like the sort who would surrender his personal possessions so easily! Not that she was complaining, of course. Grabbing the scarf and the sunflower patch, Dinara quickly stitched the patch onto the lower right corner, near the edge of the scarf. Once she was satisfied in making sure that the patch wouldn't budge, she quickly returned it to the male. A scarf felt like a rather personal thing to someone and she didn't exactly want to intrude on that as much as she already has.

Taking advantage of the time that her distraction had bought her, she quickly whipped out the sweater set meant for Remy and slid it under his chair. As he turned to pick her pencil up, she bobbed up and down on her seat, very clearly excited about something. She had hoped the boy would like the green and silver set that she had made for him -- firstly because silver yarn was more expensive that the others, and secondly because she had spent quite a fair bit of time decorating his socks and gloves with little cats. The scarf was rather plain, she didn't expect him to wear it much since he already had the Slytherin one, anyway.

Tapping him gently on his shoulder, Dinara feigned a look of confusion as she pointed under his chair. "Remy, what's that under the chair? Her mock confusion barely veiled the giggles that were threatening to escape her at any moment, and Dinara watched with bated breath, eagerly anticipating his reaction.

Make a Din!

He could feel it coming. Her nagging in some form or another about his answer to her. What could he do? He had no right answers for this. Besides, he felt content enough to not explore the meaning of their relationship more. She on the other hand? She seemed to want a clear word to describe what they were. Perhaps he could offer awkward...? Maybe then she would shut it and stop questioning everything he said and stood for. He didn't know either, he just wanted to leave it alone like this and move on to the more important things!

He was caught off guard when she mentioned that she thought about him too much. You could pinpoint the moment of surprise on his face. This was one of the rare times he let some type of emotion display on his face. She thought about him? Why!? As she started explaining more closely about what drove her to do so, he felt a tiny blush climb on his face and heat up his cheeks. Of course she wouldn't have been thinking about him specifically like that. Now he was just inappropriately dreaming. Her rival-friend-whatever should stay that way. Only friends thought about others. She differed by being a rival-friend-whatever.

Once he sat back, he noticed the bobbing beam of sunshine jumping in her seat, barely even sitting on it. He was suddenly worried, wondering what made her panic like that. He then realized that she wasn't in any kind of trouble, simply excited. Remy stared at her, mouth slightly open. What was it? What did she see or think of? If she was this excited, something very big must have happened. He had learned that she has a wild and vivid imagination anyway, Remy was super curious about what she had figured out.

She returned him his scarf and he weakly smiled at it. Cute, he would start wearing this around her just to either make her happy or piss her off. Remy still had to decide which one. He let his smile trace on his lips and wasn't afraid to show it to her. It wasn't about the gift really. Like said before, Remy was not satisfied by heaps of materia, he preferred experiences to that. The thought behind this work was an experience too. The boy indulged in his rowdy ways again and lightly shoved her like she was one of his actual friends. "Thanks," he showed his gratitude in a peculiar way but still acknowledged her effort behind everything.

He looked a bit surprised when she told him to look below his seat. Remy hesitated, narrowing his eyes. Was this some kind of a prank? It reminded him of some pranks that he had made. He was more careful with his pranks, more subtle. Surely she would have been way more secretive and subtle if she tried to prank him. Taking a deep breath and mentally prepping himself up for some crazy scare, he slowly bent down to see what was going on down there. He was about to attack the furry creature below the chair before realizing that it was just something furry as in a sweater. Not only a sweater, but there were also many other things that seemed to go with that color.

He looked up, unsure what to do. He pointed at himself as if to once again ask if these were intended to be given to him. Remy looked down once again, stared at the set and slowly reached for it. The boy pulled out the set and stared at it blankly, mouth still in slight agape. He felt a bit sentimental this day and had to hide his face to disguise his blush. She had done all of this for him? He still felt embarrassed, guilty and thankful. Maybe he should stop pissing her off on purpose. Once he had calmed down, he had a beaming and genuine smile on his face.

"Thanks!" he had a similar jumpiness as hers to him suddenly. It was highly contagious, everything she did. He wondered if she was rowdy too and tried to think of a better way to thank her than just a simple thanks. There must have been more than just words to show your gratitude for something or someone. "Do you like hugs?" he sheepishly asked, falling back on his seat and waiting for permission. So what if he got cooties and he'd probably get infected and die? That was the price he had to pay now.

The boy's reaction to his Christmas sweater set seemed... Underwhelming, to say the least. His face remained passive as he stared wordlessly at the sweater, seemingly unimpressed with the work that she had put in. Dinara's expression fell as she watched the boy, her bottom lip starting to tremble. Maybe this was a bad idea, after all. Rivals weren't supposed to be so nice to one another, were they?

Remy Alto wasn't known to Dinara as someone who was particularly expressive nor energetic. If Dinara were to be compared to a raging wave, Remy would be the still surface that veiled an unexplored world beneath it. It came as a surprise to her that he actually jumped off his chair -- that was about the most action that she's seen from him thus far. Chewing her bottom lip apprehensively, she watched the boy who towered over her from her lowered lashes. Did he dislike it so much that he had to stand and threaten to leave? Dinara wasn't quite sure what his actions meant and that left her feeling rather unsettled.

As he sat back down, she shifted uncomfortably in her seat. He was smiling, brighter than Dinara had ever seen him do so, yet a part of her still worried that his smile was simply a facade to hide his true feelings about her Christmas present. Suddenly feeling very small, Dinara perked up slightly when she heard his request for a hug.

Surely something must have been amiss! Dinara shook her head in disbelief. 'Who doesn't like hugs?' Eyeing the boy suspiciously, she wasn't quite sure what he'd expected or wanted her to do. Confused, she pointed at the male, a small hand slipping out from beneath her sleeves. 'I'd think you didn't like hugs. You didn't seem to like physical contact at all!

Crossing her arms, Dinara moved from side to side, attempting to observe Remy from various angles. He had always been somewhat of an odd-ball - not that Dinara minded at all, she couldn't lay claim to being the most normal person either - but even by his standards, his behaviour on this day was off the charts. If she had found him hard to read on normal days, he was even harder to read on this particular day!

The last of the sketches that Dinara had planned to make into patches had since been long abandoned; she would never admit it, but Remy's presence proved to be far more entertaining and far too distracting for her to truly be able to shut him off and solely focus on her work. Besides, she had already completed most of what she had intended to gift out. The patches were just a little extra bonus in order to boost the festive spirit at Hogwarts.

Turning away from the boy and pretending to fiddle with one of her knitting needles in an attempt to appear busy, Dinara let out a soft sigh. 'In all honesty though, Remy, if you don't like it or if you want the sunflower patch removed from your scarf you can just let me know.' The slight tremble of her voice betrayed the otherwise casual manner in which she had spoken. She didn't want to guilt the boy into keeping the gifts just because, yet she couldn't help the creeping insecurity that was slowly washing over her.

In an unexpected pang of self doubt, Dinara suddenly whipped her head around, sending her curls flying in a blur.'I'm sure you get a ton of Christmas presents from other people. Don't feel obligated to accept mine if you don't like it or if it doesn't measure up to your other presents! Promise I won't be mad.' Her typically low pitched voice had somehow spiked - perhaps in agitation, perhaps in trying to overcompensate in order to sound "normal". Facing her rival whom she had somehow grown rather attached to, she bit her bottom lip as she eyed him anxiously, waiting for his next move.

It felt like the two were perpetually caught in a game of chess, though Dinara was quite certain that she was constantly on the losing end. She could never quite predict what Remy was thinking or what he was about to do and that frustrated her to no end, but at the same time, it was also what made him so fun to be around. After having grown used to the mundane and predictable reactions from everyone else, this was a fresh and welcome change. Dinara couldn't deny that, although this whole uncertainty and guesswork thing constantly kept her on edge, threatening to build upon her insecurities.

Make a Din!
  Back