Study Room

Register
Sign in

A Secret in the Study Room  Closed 

Stella plopped her bookbag on one of the wooden benches and stared at her neverending stack of homework. Blah. She whipped out her first book and began to read, but her mind wandered from History of Magic to her comfy spot in the library, where she had put all of her favorite fiction books. Stella shook her head, like she was trying to shake away all thoughts non-related to studies. Must. Focus. She stared down, but the words seemed to blur together on the page.

Angrily, Stella pushed back her chair with a loud SCREECH! and huffed in frustration. How could she focus now, of all times? Right now, History was the last thing on her mind. What about the Quidditch match she had wanted to attend? Because she was stuck in study hall, she couldn't find out the times. Stella stormed out of the room and fumed in the hallway, before heading back to the classroom. No one was in there for now, which was good. She banged her head on the table, trying hard to concentrate.

There was a click, and a small cupboard slid out. Huh? How did she do that? Stella nudged it open and gasped at the contents inside. A dusty notebook. Some glass phials and herbs in bags. But the notebook. She covered her mouth as she read Nicolas Flamel's exact notes on how to create the Philosopher's Stone, with all of the ingredients provided there. But how? Why? Who could have done this? All of a sudden, footsteps clattered in the corridor, and she froze.

Uh oh.
Last edited by John Johns on 16th September 2018, 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Outside of a dog, a dog is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's dark
- Groucho Marx

Reducio
Yeah, Stella didn't really find the recipe for the Philosopher's Stone. Certainly a recipe for something. But we'll have fun with it anyways.

John entered the study room with two intentions in mind. The first was to get some homework out of the way. It took quite some time to do the research for all the questions. Honestly, he much preferred the essays. He often used the space to write his series of fan fictions. Technically, they fulfilled the requirements, but they probably raised a few eyebrows. Still, he was getting pretty OK grades, so the multitasking proved fruitful.

Speaking of multitasking, the second reason John was around was his duties as prefect. Hogwarts was a pretty big place, so it needed a team to keep an eye on things. This week, John was tasked with watching the study room. Most of the time, students were quietly studying for exams or homeworks. However, there were occasions where a bad apple would try some shenanigans. Someone tried to make a potion one time; it nearly caused a fire! Other than that, nothing really got too out of hand. Still, John made his rounds, singing his little theme song in his head:

Bad guys, Bad guys,
Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do when John comes for you?
Bad guys, Bad guys,
Whatcha gonna do?
Whatcha gonna do when John COMES FOR YOU?
"PREFECTS is filmed on location with the boys and girls of Hogwarts rule enforcement. All suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

As John walked through the room, his attention turned to a young girl, who seemed to have been caught by surprise by something she was reading. As the prefect's footsteps came closer to her table, the girl froze. As John arrived at the table, he suspected he knew exactly what was going on.

"Let me guess," John said to Stella, "After hours of looking for the right answer to a homework problem, it was on the first page the entire time. That happens to me all of the time."

John conversed with a big smile on his face. His prefect badge shimmered on his robes. His uniform's yellow highlights indicated that he was a fellow Hufflepuff. In other words, a dependable figure unafraid of toil. Perhaps silly at times. Well, all times...

John Johns
STAMINA: 6, AGILITY: 4, STRENGTH: 5, CONTROL: 6, ARCANE POWER: 4, ACCURACY: 5

Stella slammed the drawer shut as a prefect entered the room, and then breathed a sigh of relief at the fact he was Hufflepuff, and not Slytherin. They still frightened her. He began to talk about homework, but too many thoughts were buzzing around Stella's brain for her to listen.
The first one: Aaaaah! I couldn't have really found the Philosopher's Stone notes, but then what could it be?
Second: Oh my gosh. Did he see me close the cupboard? Will he arrest me? Or do whatever Prefects do? Last: I really do need to finish my homework...
Stella nodded along like she knew what he was saying and totally understood it. He stopped and smiled. Stella gulped. What now? She decided to attempt a diversion. Grabbing her history book, she clumsily pushed away her chair to get up and knocked over a stack of books. She then went over to pick them, so she wouldn't have to talk. That's when it happened. Everything seemed to go in slow motion. Stella's foot hit the chair and pushed it back. It hit the desk, and, with a barely audible click, the secret cupboard slid open. She dropped her textbook on the ground and hurried to cover it, but it was too late. He must have seen it, right?

How could today get any worse? Stella groaned. Bad things were coming her way.

- Groucho Marx

So John was unable to get a verbal response from the first year. Perhaps she was shy around authority? John was about to walk away and let the girl be when Stella unintentionally started a Rube Goldberg machine of school supplies. Pulling a chair caused a pile of books to fall over. As Stella went to clean up, the same chair knocked into the table, causing a hidden drawer to reveal itself. John only saw the secret compartment after kneeling down to help Stella pick up books.

"Woah cool!" John said as he went over to look into the drawer. "I didn't know these tables had secret stashes. I wonder if there's candy in this one?"

Naturally, John peeked inside to see if there was any secret stash. Sadly, nothing sweet remained in the dark corners of the compartment. Disappointed, John went back to what he was doing. He looked over to Stella to help pick up the fallen books when he saw the really old piece of paper haphazardly covered by the history textbook.

"Gee, I think we have newer paper somewhere in the school," John remarked. "I think I have some to spare if you need it."

John reached down to grab the history book and the piece of old parchment. As he reached over, his eyes glanced over at what was written. He found that he didn't recognize much on it. Did he really forget last semester's homework so quickly?

"What subject is this for anyway?" he asked as he picked it up for a closer look.

John Johns

"What subject is this for, anyway?"
Stella sucked in a breath as the prefect's eyes flitted over the paper. When no look of comprehension showed, she let out a long sigh of air. "Er, I-I, ummm..." She stammered for words.
She could say it was for Potions, but what if he offered to help her make it? And, as he seemed to be a prefect, he would know that most potion papers didn't look like the recipe for whatever it was Stella had found in the desk.
But she couldn't tell him the truth. Not ever.

Stella coughed. There was no other way. "I found it in the desk. I don't know what it is, or how to make it, but I don't think we should mess around with it or anything."
That was actually the exact opposite of what she was thinking, though. She wanted to get the ingredients and see what it did. However, he did seem nice enough... still, after the incident with her father, Stella couldn't trust anyone again.
It would be too hard. And she barely knew him!!
She stood up, gave him an apologetic smile, and, picking up her History book, she ran from the room.
Stella would have to find a way to get that Potion recipe back later.

- Groucho Marx

"Ooh, that sounds ominous," John remarked. "Well, that sounds like a job for Prefect John!"

By the time John was about to give his usual introduction catchphrase, Stella had already ran off with her books. She must have been spooked by the old set of notes. That didn't really make sense to John, but then again, he hadn't read through the notes.

"Now, what could have scared her off...," John muttered as he read the notes. According to the author, a fancy French man by the name of Flamel had written out a recipe for immortality. The Philosopher's Stone, as it was called, would allow a wizard to live hundreds of years past their natural lifespan. To have such a world-altering secret hidden in the study hall, well, was quite unbelievable.

When John looked through the rather simple list of ingredients, he couldn't help but laugh. He recognized the list very quickly as a practical joke. Judging from the age of the paper, it was literally the oldest trick in the book.

"This isn't for immortality. This will give you explosive diarrhea!"

Apparently, some sneaky upperclassman had disguised the recipe as one for the Philosopher's Stone. When a first-year came across it and attempted to drink the potion, there would be immediate regret and very soiled clothing. he had heard of the joke, but never a version so old. It was fortunate that he came across the recipe before Stella got any ideas of attempting it.

And so, John decided this wasn't safe for anyone to come across. He didn't want to clean up the mess resulting from the concoction. He crumpled the recipe into a ball and hid it in his pocket, where it would remain until he came across the nearest fireplace.

"Ooh, that reminds me, I gotta do some potions!"

And with that, John took the table to start his own studies. As he studied, he couldn't help but wonder what he would put in the secret compartment. Candy? Beetles? A picture of himself?

Clearly, nothing was gonna get done today.

Reducio
It looks like Stella left, so I will deem this RP finished.
If I'm wrong, owl me and I'll unlock it.

Unlocked

John Johns

Stella leaned back from the door frame. The laugh, some muttering, and then the potion recipe thrown in the fire. Seriously? She had made such a big deal about explosive diarrhea? Geez. All of a sudden, an idea popped into her head. It grew until she couldn't resist the plan. She waited until the prefect's back was turned, and then reached into her pocket. She had found a snake of some kind on the grounds, and had put it in container, not quite sure what she would do with it at the time. Now it was obvious.

Stella crept around the side of the desks, moving stealthily. It was one of her weird, almost ghostly talents. Blending in with the shadows, and having footsteps so quiet no one could hear. Or at least, she thought. Of course, that wasn't true... She was just strangely quiet. Worried that she would make something crash or squeak, she started on her journey. Surprisingly, it went smoothly. She scaled a bench and crept towards the still open compartment. Stella felt a bit bad for the prefect, but she condidered it revenge for almost giving her a heart attack and making her run out of the room. Stella crept up to the drawer, now almost right behind the prefect. If he turned around, there would be a problem. She dropped the snake into the compartment, slid it shut, and hurried away. CRASH! She knew it couldn't have worked out this well. Something always went wrong! Too bad she couldn't really move stealthily... The other Hufflepuff made a move like he was going to turn around. Stella crouched down under a desk, hiding, watching. She had to hold her breath to stifle her laughter.

This was going to be hilarious.

Reducio
Thanks for unlocking the post! I would like to see what John does next!

- Groucho Marx