Study Room

Register
Sign in

The Last Empty Seat  PV Mae Reeds   Finished 

Amaya sighed, setting her Herbology Homework next to a couple textbooks and empty pieces of crisp parchment as she took her seat among the rest of the soft, cushioned chairs full of bliss. She’d done okay for the first lesson’s Homework, and was now working on the second lesson. She’d been planning to study and work on it at the Library, but it was bustling with students, overflowing with people from all the years. There were literally no spots left.

So Amaya, full of hope, had turned to the Study Room.

It seems she wasn’t the only one with the idea.

This was the last spot, a small table in a corner, Amaya’s table being the last one. It was a two-seater, the other seat empty. Amaya sighed. She wished to lbe alone, for this moment, as everyone else seemed to be too tiring, to require too much work. It was rather nice, having some time to herself, some time not spent getting angry or melancholy because of some strange keyword that set her off. Gosh, she really had been getting soft lately. Her resilience seemed to have went down the drain.

It was nice to be alone sometimes, but this could only last for so long.

She quickly turned back to the Herbology Homework, recalling as much about the Wolfsbane and Gillyweed that Professor Wright had taught as possible, before skimming the textbooks quickly for any extra facts that caught her eye. She scrawled some notes on the side, wishing to do better then last time.

After a while, Amaya grew a little tired, rubbing her eyes and setting her quill down. She yawned, stretching out, similar to a cat, before she relaxed in the comfortable, sofa chair. She picked up a extra book she’d brought, ready to read, when the door snapped open.

She froze, keeping herself from frowning at the cruel irony.

It was Mae. Amaya forced herself to let her gaze wash over her, as if Mae wasn’t someone she knew and as if there wasn’t a longing to be friends again flushing through her, as if they had never had a great rift that tore them apart, as if she’d merely never met her. It was as if she were merely just another person in the crowd, just another random person.

Eventually, Amaya’s gaze returned to her book, all calm on the outside, majorly freaking out on the inside. Amaya’s eyes flew over the words, unseeing and yet reading all the same. She could no longer comprehend the words, too caught up in the memory of what had been and not caught up enough in what was now.

Amaya sighed, her sharp, stinging pride reminded herself of how she’d chased after Mae, and how Mae had swatted her away as if she were nothing more then a fly. So Amaya sqaushed down the longing, her face blank and calm, ignoring everyone else, her book the only focus of her attention.

She dearly hoped that Mae would just leave, and never see her. Amaya slinked further into the corner, wishing she had a invisibility cloak to hide her from the world.
Last edited by Amaya Bourne on 26th August 2018, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amaya Elizabeth Bourne

Realizing my past weeks had been a waste in the way that I had gotten almost no work done, I decided to sit down and complete at least a portion of my homework. Prepared for productivity, I opened the door only to find Amaya Bourne sitting straight in front of me. Seeing as there were no empty seats, the same as the overflowing library, I was prepared to go back to my dorm to study, yet I heard footsteps against the hardwood floor and turned around. Some Gryffindor kid walking out, clearing the seat across from Amaya. Knowing the dorms were busy and loud, I knew this was a better option.

Emitting a deep sigh, I headed for the seat, and soundlessly slid into the cushioned chair. As I put my books onto the table, I realized I let go of a breath I hadn't realized I had been holding. I would be alright, I thought, if I simply focused on what I came here to do. Earlier in the library, I had completed the larger part of both my Transfiguration homework and Charms homework. I quite liked Professor Yornikovych as both a head of house and teacher. Though most students had trouble with his Bulgarian accent, I found it quite nice, almost adding a tone of interest. His lessons were captivating as was the subject of his teaching. I found myself wanting to become an Auror in his classes. The same applied to my other professors, from all subjects, and I strived to live up to their high standards.
Last edited by Mae Reeds on 26th August 2018, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mae E. Reeds

Amaya made no movement, breathing sharply. Finally, she decided to act as if she didn’t know Mae at all and become some kind of strange, bouncingly happy person.

Hi.”

Fortunately, that was not the case, and he mere, dull greeting Amaya uttered seemed suiting.

Amaya returned to her book. It was Fantasy, as many of her books were, and finally able to focus, she quickly decided it was trashy and not at all as it seemed. Amaya let out a small sound of disgust, and set it aside, before returning to her Herbology Homework. She had a sinking suspicion she would only get a A.

Amaya sighed softly, a sound barely noticeable, and finally, spoke once more, making sure her voice was soft and quiet as not to disturb the other people.

So. Um... How are you?”

Amaya felt slightly guilty for talking so much, but she wanted to at least reconcile somewhat with Mae. Their old friendship’s memories wasn’t nothing to Amaya, but she would not chase after her so blindly. She would rather ease into it, by at least making idle talk, and if that was all it would amount to, then fine.

At least every single little thing wouldn’t be constantly reminding her of a lost friendship.

Amaya’s gaze returned to her Herbology paper, reading through it once more as she awaited some kind of awknoledgement, or even a reply.

She wasn’t foolish enough to get her hopes up, though.

Amaya Elizabeth Bourne

"Hi," muttered a voice from across the table. I looked up. Amaya.

In an attempt to respond, my tongue tied itself into a knot, and I only stuttered.

"So. Um... how are you?" she continued.

Her ease rubbed off on me, and I relaxed my muscles and began again.

I replied, "I'm good, thanks for asking. I'm sorry I didn't go after you that night. I thought it'd be best to give you some space... but in doing that I lost a friend. Everything just went downhill after that... I'm sorry for being argumentative. Can we... start over? My name is Mae Reeds, first-year Ravenclaw. And you are?"

I chuckled and crossed my fingers under the desk. The best I could do was simply hope.

If we could start over I had a feeling everything would be okay. We'd talk, we'd laugh. Amaya was the only friend I'd made so far at Hogwarts unless you count Quinn Healy. I simply wanted to forget about what had happened with him, the confusion. I didn't want to be that girl anymore. The girl who runs away from a minor mistake. Instead, I wanted to be the girl who makes the best of it. But I wasn't.

Still, I could try.

Mae E. Reeds

Amaya blinked. The most she'd expected was a small nod, or a tiny greeting, but this...

Amaya stayed there, staring at Mae for a long time, before finally, she spoke. "It's okay. Of course it's okay. I was being too sensitive, too lost in the past... It was my fault. Hi... I'm Amaya, Amaya Bourne. First year Slytherin."

Then Amaya looked back down, her voice nothing more but a low whisper, or a murmur. Silent enough so that she hoped Mae wouldn't hear the next part. "I've missed you, you know."

Amaya suddenly perked up again, feeling a little embarrassed, (very embarassed), and finally gave Mae another smile. "So how was Hogwarts for you, so far? Oh, and read any good books lately? I have a couple of recommendations for Fantasy, if you want it!"

Amaya had always been a awkward person. But somehow, this moment, this time, just the excitement of regaining the friendship with Mae again had let everything seem better and less awkward, and more... Calm. Peaceful.

It was funny how humans try to put words onto everything, yet none of them seem to describe emotions right. Emotions are funny things. They'll be there, and then suddenly gone in a flash. You can even fake emotions, but making it realistic comes with time and much practice. Letting your face go blank also helps calm your emotion, make it stiller.

But Amaya could not fake the excitement roaring around her, within her.

Because she'd truly missed Mae.
Last edited by Amaya Bourne on 26th August 2018, 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Amaya Elizabeth Bourne

It was great to be friendly with Amaya again. I really very missed having this.

"It's okay. Of course, it's okay. I was being too sensitive, too lost in the past... It was my fault. Hi... I'm Amaya, Amaya Bourne. First-year Slytherin. I've missed you, you know. So how was Hogwarts for you, so far? Oh, and read any good books lately? I have a couple of recommendations for fantasy if you want it!"

This is what I had been waiting for, wishing for, hoping for.

"Of course I want it! I haven't been getting to much time to read, I've been a bit unproductive lately and I'm busy catching up on homework, hence my location. But, I think I'm finally out of that place. Otherwise, Hogwarts has been amazing for me. I've been pushing through this interesting Astronomy book, which is aiding to the subject, but also an interesting read. It's called Celestial Markings," I responded, excitement building up in my voice.

And suddenly, I wanted to tell her everything. About Quinn Healy and the snapdragon girl, about the angst, I had felt trying to get back to her. About the nights of sleep spent worrying about homework.

Mae E. Reeds

Celestial Markings.

Amaya rolled the name around, letting it take on a sense of familiarity. She would have to visit the Library, later.

While I do love Muggle Fantasy better then Wizarding Fantasy, as the Wizarding world is practically a muggle Fantasy if it’s own, I found a couple books particularly intriguing. For example, The War of Dreams. It’s name is rather strange, yes, but the writer, Mazu Y. Iki, manages to craft a entire, elaborate world where the main character is merely just another person going to war, yet it rings with truth as it displays the cruelty of the human species and how alien species reveal it. The main character isn’t of important stature, and will not rise to a important position, but it truly shows how low the human race can get. That is truly one of my favorite books, and the title... the title makes all the sense in the end. I refuse to spoil, though! But the main character, no matter how heroic, will not be remembered. That is perhaps the largest truth of it all, as everyone seems to be, in the phrases of a friend, ‘so obsessed with being remembered’. Now, a second book I recommend is Where The Sun Doesn’t Resch. It’s a book about a young girl, named Agatha, who lives in a world of pain and shadows, the shadows the only comfort in that cruel world. She has markings of something otherworldly marked all over her body, something that forced her to be a outsider throughout her whole life. When she finds out that the Shadows are sentient beings, and she is half-Shadow, she is dragged into a new society where hope now reigns and there is a new future awaiting her. Now, for a realistic fiction muggle book, The Fault In Our Stars. It’s quite depressing, really, and... even... has... a sprinkle... no... a handful... no... a big portion of romance. Mostly fluff. It’s about a muggle girl named Hazel who had Leukemia, a type of cancer... and that is all I have to say about it. I’ve reread it too many times to count, and o truly believe it is a great candidate for a good read.”

Amaya took a deep breath, and settled back into her chair. She did love talking about books. She was quite a bookworm, after all.

There was also the fact that books had been her entire life growing up. Not enough human contact caused her to envelope the truth and pain and hope and make-believe that books brought with them. It had made her childhood a little easier, and that was perhaps why she was so eager to talk about them.

Amaya Elizabeth Bourne

I soaked in every word of Amaya's ramble, even rapidly jotting down her titles as she spoke about them. All of them seemed worthy, yet dark. I liked her style...

"Wow, sounds interesting!" I began. "We have a similar taste in books. I should get to studying though, I'm a bit behind on homework. Perhaps we should meet up tomorrow morning, perhaps in the ballroom? After finishing my potions homework I'd like to try to concoct one or two of the potions. We could meet in Owlery as well, the view's always nice from there, right by Ravenclaw too! I dunno, the choice is yours!" I said, joyously celebrating our reunion in my mind.

While waiting for her response, I realized I would have to work hard tonight, if I was to finish my homework on time. I suppose I had put off the work for too long, and now it had piled up. But tonight I would get rid of everything and simply start fresh, and attempt to truly soak up as much as I could, and truly show my potential.

I was yet to meet a few teachers, such as the Astronomy Professor. I had walked by his room a few times and saw that the was young and red-headed, and seemingly interesting. I couldn't wait to attend his class.

Mae E. Reeds

Amaya paused. Homework? POTIONS?

I could help you with your homework, if you’d like... And. And. POTIONS? Can I help you concoct the potions? PLEASE? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE.... I PRACTICALLY LIVE FOR POTIONS...! And yeah, maybe the Owlery, then... Though when you’re done with Potions homework, please notify me... maybe send me a Owl? I’m sorry, you don’t have to, but... POTIONS. POTIONS. POTIONS.

Amaya gave Mae a small smile. She was rapidly losing her interest in Potions, but... The knowledge was still there, and she was still eager to help. It was funny, really, how a ambitious dream was now so far away and so seemingly distant. She realized now, that it had really mostly been to please her parents, and her head tilted higher at the thought.

Anyways, I’ll be sure to check out Celestial Markings later, but... Who’s your favorite teacher? I really like Leonie Scheinberg... She’s really cool, and I may or may not be biased because she was a Slytherin. And is the Head of Slytherin...

Amaya laughed sheepishly, and looked back at her paper. “Yeah, I’ll just stop now... still gotta work on my Herbology homework, if you still wanna stay and I’m not bother you.

Amaya Elizabeth Bourne

“I could help you with your homework if you’d like... And. And. POTIONS? Can I help you concoct the potions? PLEASE? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE... I PRACTICALLY LIVE FOR POTIONS...! And yeah, maybe the Owlery, then... Though when you’re done with Potions homework, please notify me... maybe send me an Owl? I’m sorry, you don’t have to, but... POTIONS. POTIONS. POTIONS. Anyways, I’ll be sure to check out Celestial Markings later, but... Who’s your favorite teacher? I really like Leonie Scheinberg... She’s really cool, and I may or may not be biased because she was a Slytherin. And is the Head of Slytherin... Yeah, I’ll just stop now... still gotta work on my Herbology homework, if you still wanna stay and I'm not bothering you."

Amaya finished almost as soon as she had begun.

"Yeah, I'll be staying. I'll be sure to send you an Owl as soon as I'm done, and then we'll meet in the ballroom. I'm excited now, I'm glad you'll be there to help me, I'm afraid of messing up and killing myself. I'll just be wrapping up my Transfiguration and Charms, and then I'll head bad to my dorm to get ready for bed. See you then!"

I studied on through the evening, and just as the sun began to set, I took my things, gave my salutations to Amaya, and walked back to my dorm.

Surprisingly, my Potions homework did not last too long, and I was soon in bed.

Mae E. Reeds

Amaya nodded, wrapping up her own homework. She found facts of Gillyweed within the Chocolate Frogs, which she was amused by, though somewhat disappointed because she would not be getting a lot of facts about Gillyweed’s history. Gathering her things, she gave Mae a small glance, but she was still working away.

I’ll be bringing some Potions books...” Amaya murmured, before standing up and checking her duffel bag once more to make sure she had everything.

Waving at Mae, she left with a big smile and with a skip in her steps, deciding to go to visit the Great Lake later on. Amaya had become a regular there, and recalled with a fond smile how her own friendship with Mae had started there.

She was on her way to the Library, determined to both get some books on Potions safety and techniques to recommend for Mae, get the book she recommended, and to find some more books for homework.

She already knew she was going to get a A for her second lessons homework, but she vowed to do better for the last lesson because HERBOLOGY AND POTIONS WERE TIED, and Amaya winced.

Her green and black duffel bag swinging beside her, she made her way to the Library she was now so familiar with, before grabbing her stack of books, dropping some stuff off at her dorm, and leaving to read at the Great Lake.

Reducio
OOC: sorry this post was kinda rushed...

Reducio
Amaya leaves the Study Room.

Amaya Elizabeth Bourne