Study Room

Register
Sign in

Completely Lost  Closed 

Christy walked into the study room since it seemed to be a bit quieter than the library; plus it was on the first floor compared to the library being on the fourth floor. Her arms started to shake as she was holding all of her books for all of her new wizarding courses. Being a muggle-born was very difficult, she's found. She's been late to every class since she has no idea where she's going yet, which has made it even harder for her to understand her classes and to learn about her new powers. She has noticed that no one seems to be carrying books anywhere, but, during classes, everyone has them, she had no idea how they did it. "They're lucky they know how to use their powers to make life easier for them... I've had to do everything by hand my entire life." she thought as she found an empty table and finally was able to set all of her stuff down. 

She took out her Book of Spells so she could practice her charms. Hopefully the book would be ab;e to help her since she wasn't able to levitate the feather during class. She found the correct chapter, laid her feather on the desk in front of her, and took her wand out. "Win-guard-ee-um lev-ee-oh-sah..." she practiced slowly, and tried the wand movement a couple of times before clearing her throat to actually try it out: "Wingardium leviosa!" she said altogether with the wand movement. She felt something strange inside her, almost a tingling, and the feather trembled a bit. Her face lit up as she finally at least had some sort of result. She continued to practice for a bit as other students were studying around her as well.

Completely Lost  Closed 

Kendra had been buried in her "History of Magic" book for more than one hour. Even so she was able to comprehend only the first half of the first chapter.  Her interest gradually faded away as she started flipping through the pages without actually reading them. She finally set the book down on the desk in front of her and leaned  back against her chair. 

She had had very little experience with magic even though she was a pure-blood. She never really cared to use it and it only came to her by instinct. She held in a small yawn and looked around at all the other students that had their faces buried in some book or were trying to achieve some sort of spell. 

Her eyes landed on a girl just a little further away from where she was sitting. She began watching her attempts in making the feather float with genuine interest. One could say she found watching others use magic more interesting than actually using it herself. She observed the girl's movements, her words. She had yet to realise that staring could be considered rude but until then, she did it very often like a bad habit.  

Kendra

Completely Lost  Closed 

Christy had been trying to make the feathe levitate for at least an hour at this point, only getting it to jump a little bit, but never to actually float and move around how other students had been able to even on the first day of classes. "Am I ever going to figure out how to do this?" she thought to herself. 

Frustrated with the feather, she put it away and moved on to another subject, History of Magic. "Maybe I'll have better luck with this class since there's no magical practice involved with it..." she thought as she pulled the book out and flipped to the first page. She didn't realize how long the history of magic was, and, wow it was dense. "Maybe this won't be as easy as I thought," she said to herself as so many names and unfamiliar names were thrown at her all at once. It seemed like she was reading the same section over and over, while taking notes, making flashcards, to hopefully help her remember everything, but, unfortunately, she felt that none of this was sticking. She started looking around the study room again and noticed another girl sitting nearby who looked like she was reading the same book. "Maybe I should ask her if she wants to study with me... That might make it easier... But I don't want to bother her if she'd rather study by herself..." she thought as she battled with herself on what to do.

Completely Lost  Closed 

Kendra observed the girl as she gave up on trying to make the feather levitate and pulled out History Of Magic. She was a little disappointed that the girl gave up so quickly, she would like to see her succeed. She took a look at her History Of Magic book still laying on the desk. Just looking at it made her feel dizzy. She had never studied with company before therefore she wasn't certain if it helped or not. But just the thought of maybe helping someone else on something she might understand and them doing the same thing made her feel like it was something worthwhile. She had gained a lot of confidence since she had first come to Hogwarts. She still needed to gather up her courage for a few seconds, take a deep breath and turn to look at the girl again. 

"Hey there." she said quietly as to not bother the other students studying around them. "I'm Kendra, would you like to study together?" she asked and smiled at the girl.

Kendra

Completely Lost  Closed 

Christy looked up from her notes, surprised by the sudden interaction after so much silence. She smiled as she noticed the girl was studying for the same class and said, "Sure, I'd love that," she cleared some of her stuff from the table so the other girl could join her. She reached out her hand to shake and introduced herself, "I'm Christy, it's nice to meet you." She was happy that someone had offered to study with her, she didn't know what she would do without some socializing after so long of studying. She'd go mad for sure.

She looked at the girl, curious of her background and asked, "how did you find out about your magick? Is your family all witches and wizards, too?" Christy loved to hear stories of growing up with magick since she was muggle-born and had no idea what it was like. "Personally, I come from a muggle family, so I have no idea what it's like growing up around it. We honestly found out about mine by accident and kind of doubted it for a while until we couldn't deny it anymore." Christy's face flushed as she realized she was talking too much, she didn't want to scare the other girl away.

Completely Lost  Closed 

Kendra picked up her stuff and set them all carefully at the desk. She pulled the chair and sat next to Christy. 

"I'm Kendra." she said and shook the girl's hand. 

She opened the book and listened to the girl talk about her magic and her family. That was the first time a muggle born had revealed her "blood status" as she introduced herself to her. Kendra had been raised in a muggle hating environment but had never shared her family's beliefs. She considered the whole idea of "blood status" ridiculous. She thought it best not to go in detail about it while speaking with this girl for the first time. 

"My parents are both wizards." she began explaining. "My grandparents were wizards too but you know what they say, there is no such thing as a one hundred per cent "pure-blood".". She smiled. "To be honest everyone thought I was a squib since maybe two years ago. I showed absolutely no signs of magic. It drove my parents crazy but here I am." she concluded.

Kendra

Completely Lost  Closed 

Christy listened intently as the girl told her about her family history - it was all so fascinating to her. "What do you mean there's no one hundred percent wizard? What if there's one who's entire family as far back as possible were all wizards?" Christy didn't really understand it. Surely it was possible for there to be a true pure blood.

As she waited for an answer from the other girl, she continued to try and study her History of Magick textbook. Seemingly she was reading the same few sentences over and over, not really understanding anything still.

Completely Lost  Closed 

Reducio
Excuse my absence, if you like we can continue, if not it's alright!

Kendra shrugged and opened her History of Magic book again.

"Well yeah that's the thing. Some people say it's all lies. I have read in a book that we were once the same as muggles. I am not sure if that means that they also had magic or that we didn't, but as we evolved I guess magic was either discovered or forgotten."  she explained.

Her parents would freak out if they ever found out about that particular book. Kendra had made sure to keep it well hidden and read it every night when everyone was asleep. 

"That's why wizards are born in muggle families. Because magic is always there in every person even if they can control it or not." she smiled. 

Thoughts like this kept her mind balanced and shielded from her parents preaching against muggles. 

"I wish we were taught stuff like that here." she said looking at the book which she knew only dated back to the middle ages. The origins of magic were still unknown to everyone but nevertheless a simple story like that would at least keep the discrimination at bay. 

Kendra

Completely Lost  Closed 

Reducio
It's okay! I understand, life gets busy. I'd love to continue!

Christy listened carefully as the girl spoke of the history of magick. The book surely didn't teach this, but it was so interesting! If the book was written more like that, Christy would surely like it even better, rather than this dense, boring book it was. It made sense, though, that magick is just 'awakened' in certain people. Maybe everyone had magick, but some only in mundane ways. "That's really interesting, actually! I'd like to think everyone has magick and 'muggles' only have mundane powers, like being a really fast reader, or having a photographic memory, or something like that. It kind of makes humanity seem a lot more exciting than people normally see it as." Christy's mind was running wild with possibilities. She'd always been imaginative that way; always believing in ideas that most people haven't even thought of.

She looked up and smiled at the other girl, "I wish we were taught that, too. It'd make the book and the class much more interesting. I wonder why they don't. It's almost like they want to make muggles and wizards completely separate from one another, which is weird, since, like you said, a lot of wizards come from muggle families..." Christy trailed off and was lost in her imagination of it again.

Completely Lost  Closed 

Kendra observed Christy as she was talking, her face lit up and her eyes seem to be looking at something that wasn't there as she went on about what sounded like a perfectly balanced world. A world that didn't exist and some people would prefer it if it never would. That thought made Kendra sad and she thought about her parents again. 

She push these thoughts away and proceeded to read the title of the first chapter. Soap Blizzard of 1378. She had already read that a few times so far and it seemed funnier and funnier each time.

"The first part about the blizzard of soap is understandable enough, the economic part is what really confuses me." she said attempting to get in the spirit of studying. 

She looked at Christy again. Thinking of all the things she had heard growing up she found it so very hard to see what it was about a person born in the muggle world that made them different from anyone else. She was very relieved to see that none of the things her parents said were true. 

Kendra

Completely Lost  Closed 

Christy listened to the girl as she turned her attention back to studying. Yeah, it's probably best if we actually started to study now, she thought to herself as she flipped to the same page that Kendra was turned to. She skimmed through the section on the Soap Blizzard of 1378 to try and understand better to help Kendra if she could. She agreed with Kendra that the actual blizzard was easily understood... "Poor guy... He was just trying to help people. I wish people could be more accepting so we wouldn't have to hide or be afraid of being burned like Glinch Holien was..." Christy trailed off as she continued to read to try and figure out what the economic crisis was all about and how it related to the blizzard. She read the section over and over a few times before she finally gave up and slumped in her chair: "I have no idea how it's connected. I'm guessing it had to do with wizards being exposed from the soap blizzard, but I'm honestly not very sure either."

Completely Lost  Closed 

They struggled for more than an hour, flipping through the pages, trying to fully understand the content. After almost finishing the first chapter Kendra let out a sigh and leaned back on her chair.

"I will never remember all these names." she complained. 

Reading all this stuff had been rather exciting and Kendra found herself curious for the next lesson. Nevertheless it was very difficult reading about something you never really wondered about in the past. She had been a restless reader since she learned how to. Her parents had a whole room as a library, you could find anything you wanted in there... well anything except muggle related content. Even so, Kendra had acquired the most of her knowledge on magic in there. She generally prefered stories, as in fairytales. She wondered what it must feel like to grow up reading muggle books about magic and  learning it was all real in the end. She couldn't help but feel a little jealous of Christy thinking about how she must have felt. 

"How odd must all this seem to you." she said looking at the Hufflepuff girl. "What books did you read back there in the muggle world?" she inquired with curiosity showing in her eyes.
Last edited by Kendra Ackerman on 22nd February 2018, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kendra

Completely Lost  Closed 

Reducio
I'm a Hufflepuff, btw  :)

Christy and Kendra seemed to have been reading forever; when would this chapter end, and when would they be able to fully understand its content? Christy felt like she had been rereading the various sections in the first chapter multiple times, and Christy felt her eyelids drooping from the boredom. Christy normally loved reading, but, again, she was a very imaginitive girl, so she preferred reading things with more action and conflict. She didn't have a favourite genre, but, as long as it was entertaining and had some sort of plot, she would love it. History texts, however, were one of Christy's least favourite books to read. She was never very good at remembering names and dates, so it made history courses also her least favourite classes.

Christy looked up at the Slytherin girl when she spoke, waking Christy from her almost dream-like state.
"I agree, I've never been good at remembering names and dates, and that seems like all there is to this book so far..." she trailed off as she couldn't seem to focus on very many things at the moment.

She heard Kendra ask her about books she used to read, and that made Christy perk up very quickly,
"Oh my, where would I even start? I love to read! Only, I like to read stories, not history. As long as it has some sort of plot and conflict, I'm interested. What about you?"

Completely Lost  Closed 

Reducio
You are right how silly of me. Switching between topics must have confused me :D

"I enjoy stories, as in fairytales!" she explained "I have only read one muggle fairytale though, you know Alice in Wonderland? I think the only reason my parents let me was the fact that most of the things described in that book definitely reminded them of magic. " she hoped she didn't let too much information out on her muggle hating parents. She wouldn't want Christy to feel intimidated by any of that nonsense. "I also really enjoy books about animals and plants and all living things, I find life very interesting I guess." she said smiling. "I will definitely like to read medical books when I am a little older, maybe then I can become a nurse or a doctor, I would really like that." she concluded.

She shut the book deciding that was the best she could do for one day. 

"Hey I saw you practicing a levitation spell just before we first spoke to each other." she remembered. "You need any help with that?" she offered. 

Kendra

Completely Lost  Closed 

Reminder: All RPG responses are expected to contain at least 200 words. Please edit your previous posts to reflect this. 

Notes:
You are able to respond to each other well. This is good. You may improve how your characters respond to your surroundings. Describe the environment: What do you see? What do you hear? What do you smell? And in relation to all these, what does your character think? How does your character respond to these? Does you character have mannerisms? If so, what are these? 

If you would need assistance and guided practice to improve your roleplaying, you may request for one of our mentors here.

For your reference, these are the posts below 200 words:
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=267#p3537
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=267#p3600
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=267#p3892
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=267#p6018
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=267#p6226
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=267#p6248
viewtopic.php?f=138&t=267#p6725

<< to be is a choice >>