Study Room

Register
Sign in

It's Textbook  PV 

Evelyn was at one of the oak tables somewhere in the middle of the library. She wasn't so far as to be able to see the golden bars of the restricted section but not so close to see as many students. There was one person across from her but they seemed content on not shouting to the rooftops so it was fine. She opened her transfiguration textbook, content on reading through it again and add to her already detailed notes. Maybe color code it based on the wand light? Ever since her first sign of magic she adored Transfiguration. Evelyn saw it's use in duels and the muggle version in magic shows and was enamored. So naturally it was the subject that took up most of her large black binder. Potions was a close second because of all the pictures she used for references. She ran her finger over the potions tab; momentarily distracted before she recovered from the reverie and turned to the Transfiguration section. Evelyn wrote in pencil instead of quill because she turned the pages a lot while writing an didn't have the patience to wait for the ink to dry. Indeed her curly hand writing slanted across the pages in neat rows. Each one skipped a line so she could add footnotes whenever she discovered something new or wanted to add something. Which was what she was planning to do now, but when she reached out to grab at a muggle highlighter hand brushed across a piece of paper. Evelyn brought it closer to her with the minimal raise of her head.

Evelyn Moore
Stam: 4 Ag: 6 Str: 4 Con: 6 Arc: 5 Acc: 5

It's Textbook  PV 

The library was quiet, but it wasn't like that affected Kalani. The library could have been jumping with sound and life, and Kalani wouldn't have batted an eyelid. She would still be staring down at a transfiguration textbook, the words swimming in front of her and making no sense at all.

She'd been told, a hundred times over, that transfiguration was one of the most difficult types of magic, that everyone struggled with it at some point, and that she'd get it if she just kept on studying. But that was the issue; how in the name did you study if you have no clue what was going on!? It was psycho, all these posh words that lined up to make sentences, but not ones that actually meant anything.

She hunched over the book. She hadn't turned the page in ages; she just kept on reading it again and again and again, her mind always wandering off while her eyes just kept on going. Though she had been silent for most of the time, as she read the page for the gazillionth time she let out a frustrated huff and flounced back in her chair, crossing her arms sternly and staring the book down.

As she did, she looked up and spotted the girl sitting in front of her. Don't get her wrong, she'd known she was there - Kalani was the one that sat in front of her - but she'd sort of forgotten about her. She gave a lopsided grin, trying to be apologetic, her eyes trailing down to read the pages of the girl's folder.

It was a little difficult to make out, as the grey of a pencil lead was far paler than the pitch black of an inkwell, but Kalani started to recognise symbols from her own textbook, with perfect explanations printed right next to them. As she scanned further, she noticed that this girl had hundreds of notes on transfiguration. Scanning them, they actually made a little bit of sense to her!

The girl turned the page, prompting Kalani to look up at her. She was a lot taller than Kalani, but her face was just as young as the other first years that Kalani knew. She had hair that was somewhere between blonde and brown, and blue eyes that made her think of the water down at Richardson Ocean Park, where her parents had taken her when she was little for her birthday. She looked friendly, that was the most important; would she mind if Kalani asked?

But then that was the question, how to ask. As the girl scratched her pencil across the page, Kalani got her bright idea. She grabbed her transfiguration notebook, tearing out a page as carefully as she could so that it wouldn't tear. She dipped her quill into her inkwell and scrawled:
Hi! I'm Kalani. I'm having a lot of trouble with my transfiguration work, and you look like you're good you know what you're doing! Could you help me out? We'd have to write it all, because I don't think the librarian would be too happy with us talking!!!!
She read it over - scribbling over the crossed out section a couple times - and then slipped it across the table, hoping that she wouldn't get ignored. When the girl looked up, she gave the same awkward lopsided smile, trying to put on her big eyes.
Last edited by Kalani Anderson on 1st July 2018, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STA: 5 / AGI: 8 / STR: 2 / CTL: 7 / ARC: 3 / ACC: 5

It's Textbook  PV 

Reducio
I'm sorry for not posting sooner! I didn't realize I wasn't getting notifications automatically until somebody owled me about it. I won't let it happen again!

She read the loopy scrawl with minimal trouble. The crossed out lines were a bit harder to read but she took the time because she found them funny in a good way. Evelyn wasn't really confident in her teaching abilities though so she thought of a way to politely decline. After scribbling out a note explaining her predicament she had looked up to deliver it to the raven haired girl but was met with watery blue puppy eyes.

It went straight to her heart. How could she refuse such a positive girl now! Her face planted in the text book and she tore up the refusal. Instead reaching over blindly for another piece of scrap and a pencil. After looking up once again she scribbled down.
Of course! How could I refuse such pretty eyes. ^o^
with minimal thought she added a little emoji.

Something most people probably didn't do when hand writing. She thought it added character though and often did it without thinking. Evelyn folded it and passed it back to the fair girl. Because they were probably going to use her textbooks and she didn't want to loose any pencils or the like by moving it she waved to the empty seat next to her. Hopefully the girl wouldn't mind sitting near her. The textbook was only so big and she didn't think she use her minimal teaching skills while looking at the book and writing upside down.

Evelyn Moore

It's Textbook  PV 

OOC: No worries! The site's a little difficult to get used to ahahah!

Kalani watched as the girl wrote back. She tried to read it, but reading upside down had never been a strong suit of hers. Was it anyone's strong suit? As the two met eyes however, she could see the slightest thread of sadness in it. She smiled, ready to play off her rejection, when the girl looked back down. She tore the first note up into little bits, then reached for paper and wrote a whole new one. That was the one she slid across the table.

Kalani picked it up, beaming at the words written. She directed the smile up at the girl, picking up her transfiguration notebook and coming around the side of the table with a skip in her step. She dropped herself into the seat next to the Hufflepuff, still smiling. However, it pretty quickly disappeared as she looked down into the depths of the textbook. She sighed. It made just as much sense as it had from the other side of the table.

She opened her notebook to her notes from her last class. They'd been done in a rush in order to keep up with Professor Yornikovych, but now they made next to no sense. She remembered getting it in class, at least a little bit, but now that she was out she was lost at sea. Grasping for something to start out with, she pointed at a note. It was titled 'Types of Transfiguration', and then followed by the subtitles 'Transformation', 'Conjuration', 'Vanishment' and 'Untransfiguration'. There was space where notes should have been - notes explaining what the types of transfiguration really were past their names - but Kalani evidently hadn't had the time to note them down. The truth was that the Professor's thick accent made him move his mouth in such a way that Kalani wasn't used to, and reading his lips was almost as hard as reading the Sorting Hat's.

She looked back up at the girl - whose name she needed to ask - with a quirked brow, smiling in a very self-conscious way that made it clear she thought she was being stupid.

It's Textbook  PV 

She seemed like a bit of a shy person as far as Evelyn could tell. Maybe that was why Kalani hadn't filled out most of her transfiguration notes yet? Which was understandable, she didn't mind though. Evelyn pushed over her's and decided to take out a loose leaf of paper to scribble on. After finding a nicely sharpened pencil she started scribbling in the upper right corner. Her loopy handwriting was long and legible.
The four branches of Transfiguration are Transformation, Vanishment, Conjuring, and Untransfiguration. Some people count Switching as a category on it's own but our professor doesn't. So instead it's a sub category in Transformation. He had also talked about being an Animagus, which is a subcategory of Transformation as well.

Do you follow so far?
She highlighted each category in case that made it easier for Kalani. This was her first time tutoring somebody so she wanted to do a good job. So she worried that she has messed up some how and was tugging at her bottom lip with her teeth. Evelyn removed her hand from the paper to make it easier to view and balanced the pencil on her fingers while waiting to see if her method was received well.

Evelyn Moore

It's Textbook  PV 

Kalani sat her elbow on the desk, resting the side of her head on her hand as she stared helplessly at her unfinished notes. Even if she hadn't been able to pick up on a lot of the information in the first lecture, she'd been able to pick up on this in the second lesson: lost body parts were one hundred percent lost. That included hearing. She'd've been lying if she'd said she wasn't hoping for some good news when it came to magic's cures. Her parents had searched every option for restoring her hearing, but they were so magically deprived that they hadn't explored such a field yet. Kalani had hoped that her transfiguration professor - as adept as he clearly was - that he'd maybe be able to give her something, even slight. But, the lecture had certainly put a stopper on that.

While she was in thought, the Hufflepuff tutor had already finished writing. Kalani lifted herself up straight, picking the paper up with two hands as she read it. She nodded yes as she sat the paper down on the table. She looked around for a moment, brow furrowed in concern or confusion, and then reached across the table and grabbed her quill and inkwell. Dipping the ink in once, she scrawled underneath:

But what are they? Switching too, I don't get that.

She double underlined the 'are', a rushed scribble. Her handwriting was far less nice than her tutor's, barely legible and written as if in a frenzy. She handed the note back to the Hufflepuff, the same apologetic smile on her face.

It's Textbook  PV 

What they are? Evelyn bit her lip in consideration on how much detail she should go into. Kalani had understood what she put down so far so she didn't think she'd run the risk of going over her head as long as she took her time. So she quickly sharpened her pencil and started writing again.
Transformation is something that alters the target in any way. Like mouse to matchbox or something to that same affect. Untransfiguration is undoing this process. So you would be turning the matchbox back into a mouse.
Switching is like Transformation, but instead of just altering the target it switches one physical property with another. So say you had two goblets. One was ornate and silver the other was small and gold. If you were switching the two the ornate one would become gold and the small one would become silver.
Vanishment and Conjuration are tomato tomato. Vanishment is getting rid off something, like a plant pot or something, and Conjuration is the harder counterpart to Vanishment. An example of Conjuring would be the summoning of a snake from the wand.

Did I miss anything?
She removed her hand from the paper after quickly getting rid of the eraser bits from the erasing she did throughout her writing. Hopefully this would clear things up.

Evelyn Moore

It's Textbook  PV 

Kalani watched the Hufflepuff as she continued writing. Her calligraphy was far more grown up than Kalani’s, whose handwriting still resembled a young child’s somewhat. It was easier to read, as well - Kalani was surprised that the friendly girl hadn’t asked for a translation at any point.

When she was done, Kalani took the paper once more. She held it as she read it over the first time, then left it on the table for the second. As she went for a third time, she dunked her quill into the ink. She struck a reckless tick at the end of the end of the untransfiguration rundown, and at the end of conjuration and vanishment. The ticks weren’t confirmations of correct answers; they were instead confirmations of Kalani’s comprehension. However, she drew a long arrow arcing from the word ‘transfiguration’ and landing in free space towards the right of the page.
Is it still transfiguration if you change a little bit of something? Like if you changed a mouse’s tail to be curly?
Though she had said she understood the section on switching, she circled the word ornate. She drew another arrow leading off towards to margin, and wrote:
I get it, but what does ornate mean? Is it important?
She’d never come across the word before; she wondered what the sign was for it.

She left the other things she had written and then moved to the space underneath the explanation.
Is one of them more difficult than the other ones?
She blew lightly on the page to dry the ink, then handed it back to the Hufflepuff.
Last edited by Kalani Anderson on 19th July 2018, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's Textbook  PV 

Kalani asked good questions so she took her time to answer them. She wanted to punch herself for using unnecessary words though. Of course she would end up making things more confusing for her studying partner. So she took her time to consider her words and look over the inky marks again to make sure she didn't miss anything important Kalani was trying to say.

Once she was satisfied with the answers to her first two questions she began writing. Evelyn didn't tick off anything like Kalani but she did draw little lines from the question to her answers so that they wouldn't get mixed up when they were read.
I believe that would be Transformation, but i'm sure there's a line drawn somewhere between transfiguration and a charm.

As for Ornate it's not anything important to Transfiguration. It just means fancy. Like those hand made banners you see in the halls. Those would be Ornate.
The last one she hesitated on. Well she had mentioned how Conjuring was considered harder than Vanishment she actually wasn't sure. It really just depended on the person she ended up concluding.
The difficultly of certain types of magic really depends on person I guess. I find DADA and Potions easy but trying to explain them is difficult. So if other people are better at certain kinds of Transfiguration that doesn't mean that it's easier than any other. Then again that's just my opinion~
She ended it with a little flourish and pushed it back to the raven haired girl.

Evelyn Moore

It's Textbook  PV 

Kalani watched and giggled a little as Evelyn fancied her hand away from the page. She took the paper back from the tutor. She didn't think that anything she'd asked had needed a lot of words to answer, so maybe they'd move onto a different bit of the lesson after it. Transfiguration didn't seem like such a horrible thing now that she had someone to explain all the basics to her. Maybe she'd pass her next assignment!

She scanned over Evelyn's answers, having prematurely dipped her quill into her ink. Once again she ticked what she understood - the clarification of transformation (though she made a mental note to ask the professor about the line between charms and transfigurations), the definition of ornate and on the difficulties of the different magics - and then scanned over the page. She moved to a new line.
I think I understand it all. Is there anything else I should know, though?
She passed the paper back to Evelyn. As she did, she glanced at a clock on the library wall. Five to two; she'd promised one of her friends she'd meet her at two. She winced slightly, wondering if she'd be able to weave her way through the castle and out onto the flying pitch in five minutes. She took the paper back, and quickly wrote:
Sorry, I've got to go meet a friend. Could we do something like this again? Could I get your name to owl you?
She passed the paper back again, then gathered up her things and brought them back to where she'd been sitting before, packing them up into her backpack. With the bag slung heavy on her shoulders, she looked back to the girl who'd helped her, beaming from ear to ear. She leant across the table to take the paper back, her bracelets sliding out from under her long robes and hitting by her outstretched hand.