Study Room

Register
Sign in

Chance Meeting  PV Emma Hill   Closed 

Gemini clumsily stumbled through the doors. Whispering a quiet 'sorry...' at the students she probably disturbed with her less than graceful entrance. The smell of pages and dust filled her nostrils, which oddly gave her a calming sense of relief. She was here with a mission to learn as much as she can about the wizarding world. With both parents being muggles she found it incredibly daunting to be surrounded by students who grew up with magic.

With her head down she made her way to a empty section of the library and began pulling books from the shelves with reckless abandon. 

"I guess these look like a good place to start." she said to herself until she had a good stack in her arms.

With a slight wobble she made her way to an empty desk and put down the books with a slight grunt. She looked over the pile and found a book titled 'A Study of Recent Developments in Wizardry.' She pulled the book from the middle of the pile carefully, hoping to avoid any catastrophic event and with a low thud she placed the book in front of her and turned to the first page.

"I guess this is a good place to start." she said with a sigh as she began to read.
Last edited by Gemini Violet on 5th June 2018, 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

You must go on adventures to find out where you truly belong...
a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Emma strode gracefully into the Study Room, her copy of Magical Drafts and Potions and her Book of Spells in her arms. Her brown hair swished around as she plopped down into her seat. She was originally here to learn as much as she could, and possibly make a few friends in the doing. She popped open her spellbook and observed it closely, there was no room for mistakes.

The Mending Charm... Emma pondered with herself, it seemed simple enough for her, though she had practiced this spell once or twice. She smoothly waved her wand around, tracing the pattern in the air that appeared in her book. Every once in a while white sparks threatened to fly out of her wand. After Emma had gotten the strange hand motion, she attempted murmuring the incantation, though she had nothing to repair. She surely wasn't going to break any of the school's items. She tore a piece of her parchment and set it on the table.

"Ree-paro," Emma muttered, the wand was unresponsive, had she said it wrong? She shot a glance back at her book. "Reh-paro, not 'Ree'."

Emma flicked her wand and mumbled the spell. Her parchment magically sealed itself, as if the two halves were the opposite poles of a magnet. She clapped her hands rapidly, but inaudibly. Emma continued to read her spellbook quickly, she was more interested now that she had performed legal magic.

Next one, Diffindo. Emma smiled at this thought and continued to examine the spell.

~ Emmaline Louise Hill ~
Stamina: 9 - Agility: 7 - Strength: 10 - Control: 9

Gemini raised her head and looked away from her book. A girl had walked in to elegantly that she was somewhat jealous, shaking her head and giggling about what a disaster she was at doing the same task of entering a room. The girl sat down 1 table away and opened her book with purposefully, a mission evident in her eyes. She watched the girl with curiosity as she began practicing a spell.

The girl repeatedly waved her arm as Gemini subconsciously followed the movement with her finger in the air. After a while the girl suddenly tore a piece of parchment causing Gemini to break out of her trance. 

I better start practicing too. Hopefully this isn't some cruel joke and I didn't get that letter by mistake. 

Gemini looked up as the girl successfully casted her spell repairing the tear and smirking at herself. Without a second thought Gemini grabbed her unreasonable stack of books and began walking towards her table. Trying to lightly place her stack on the corner of the girls desk, Gemini shyly gave her a smile.

"Ummm, excuse me. If you don't mind could you show me that again? I'm new to all of this and I kind of hate to admit it, but maybe it would help me be better to see someone else do it." she became anxious waiting for the girls response.

"Oh, sorry. My name is Gemini. Gemini Violet." she quickly added, raising her hand to shake.

Emma flipped her spellbook to back to the page entitled The Mending Charm. She was unbelievably happy that someone wanted her help, considering she'd only just arrived.

"Emma Hill," she said shaking her hand. "You've got a beautiful name, Gemini."

Her eyes narrowed on the page slightly, it was harder to teach others than to teach herself. "So," she said gathering her thoughts. "I just trace the pattern on the page, say the incantation a few times, put it together and hope that it works." She hoped that for her sake she'd understood what she had meant.

Once again, Emma split the parchment, causing the noise to interrupt the studying of others. Particles of dust and who knows what darted on to the table, she coughed a bit, fanning the dust away from her face. She shrugged a bit and beamed awkwardly hoping that she didn't judge on first impressions, because if she did, it wasn't going too great.

"Reparo," Emma said monotonously, trying to imitate the same hand motion she had previously done. The parchment once again was attracted by its other half, she exhaled, thankful that she was able to produce the same effect before she had arrived.

"Do you want to try?" Emma asked her curiously, though she had known the answer. It was amazing to see others abilities.

~ Emmaline Louise Hill ~

Gemini smiled at the compliment and gave a timid "Thanks." The girl was thankfully very kind and gladly redid the spell in front of Gemini. She watched intently as Emma explained how to mimic the shape with your wand and repeated the words. The newly torn parchment was soon enough mended. Gemini couldn't help the big smile on her face. Something as simple a repairing an object was magnified by the mysticallity of magic and the repair was instantaneous. 

"Do you wanna try?" Emma asked, catching Gemini off guard. 

Should I do it? I mean, I have to try. Right? she thought to herself.

"Um yeah, I'll try..." she said unsure, but excited. 

Gemini grabbed the wand she had kept in her boot and awkwardly held it infront of her. She practiced tracing the shape in the air a couple of times at first. Her face scrunching up in concentration. Finally, she began to attempt the spell.

"...reparo..." she said with absolutely no confidence. Her wand flickered, but fizzled.

"Okay, let me try one more time." she said taking a breath and forcing her mind to focus.

"Reparo." she said with more confidence and flourish, but it still wasn't enough to repair the parchment. Gemini looked at Emma, who gave her a reassuring smile.

I know I can do this. Stop doubting yourself. You deserve to be here.

Gemini focused her mind on her technique and pronunciation. And with one fell swoop and unshaken voice...

"Reparo!" suddenly the parchment fused together. Gemini couldn't help but let out a gasp, followed by a big grin. "Oh my goodness! I did it!" she celebrated. Gemini couldn't control her happiness and pulled Emma into a hug.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I was so excited, I didn't mean to just grab you without asking." Gemini said pulling away and blushing awkwardly.

"Oh my goodness! I did it!" She celebrated.

Emma applauded heartily, this time she couldn't restrain her loudness. "See! Easy." She had barely been clapping for a mere two seconds before Gemini pulled her in for an overbearing hug that caught her off guard slightly.

"Oh, I'm sorry! I was so excited, I didn't mean to just grab you without asking." Gemini said pulling away blushing awkwardly.

Emma dismissed that with a wave of her hand, signaling she didn't really mind. "You deserve a hug!" She said this time hugging her tighter than she had hugged her. It was in her nature to try and one-up someone, even if she hadn't noticed it at first.

"Did... you want to try another spell? I mean... We could learn some together if you want." Emma asked her a bit shyly. Maybe she had made a friend. She tossed her second book of Magical Drafts and Potions back into her bag, now she preferred spell casting over than a bubbling potion, though she somehow thought it could be just as exciting. "Do you know any that you wanted to try?" She asked curiously because she only knew a couple.

~ Emmaline Louise Hill ~

Gemini gave a sigh of relief when Emma didn't seem to be mad for the sudden hug, but the wind was soon knocked out of her when Emma returned the hug slightly more forcefully. Gemini gave a little laugh starting to feel comfortable.

Did I just make a new friend? Wow, go me!

"Did... you want to try another spell? I mean... We could learn some together if you want." Emma stated.

Gemini grinned and nodded, "Of course!" The thought of having someone she could relate to and get help from was incredible. It was like a thousand pounds was lifted off of her shoulders and she could relax a bit. Gemini grabbed three books from her stack and left the rest in the return bin.

"I've been practicing the Knockback Jinx. I thought it looked useful to learn. And by practice I mean mumbling to myself and reading the excerpt over and over again. Maybe we could try to learn it together?" Gemini said starting to ramble a bit.

The Knockback Jinx was a somewhat difficult spell you learn in first year often used in duelling to knock back an opponent, as well as useful for pushing back objects. It was in a book full of duelling moves that someone left in the Ravenclaw common room, so Gemini read it right there and then.

"I think things are looking up. I know I'm gonna have a great time with you this year." Gemini said happily as she held her books to her chest.

(ooc | you can continue from my last post and ignore this or just continue from this. let me know cause I could always just delete this post and let you continue how you want to)

Gemini arrives at the quidditch training pitch. It is clear except for two training dummies placed for practicing spells.

Gemini left Emma a note asking her to meet for later that day. The third years were training and gladly left the dummies so we could practice more advanced duelling spells. She quickly thanked them as they left and made a mental note to send them some sort of treat.

Hmmm, maybe they'll like some chocolate frogs.

Gemini moved the dummies into position as she waited for Emma to arrive. She was extremely happy that she made a friend and hoped that they could become better witches by practicing together. For Gemini being a witch at all was a miracle.

Sitting with her legs crossed on the ground, she grabbed a book from her bag and opened it in front of her. The Knockback Curse it had read at the top of the page.

After Emma had received the note, she ambled down to the Quidditch training pitch. She beamed brightly, her emotions took over her, she was remarkably fortunate to have met a friend like Gemini. The sun seemed to glow brighter on her fair skin and the smell of crisp grass seemed actually this time. Emma swayed joyfully in the wind as the Quidditch pitch came into view. She saw two dummies on the field, maybe her friend had ordered them to be there?

As Gemini was meters away, she pulled out her wand and aimed down at a patch of grass just feet away from her and cast an inoffensive spell, from her knowledge anyway. "Periculum!" She muttered strongly to herself, nonverbal spells would have been useful. The red jet of sparks flew at an extremely fast pace. Emma gasped imperceptibly at the fact that it had almost hit her.

Emma stood above her, examining the page that read The Knockback Curse, she had always thought that it was a jinx, but if it was in the book it had to be correct. She placed her hand on top of her shoulder "What are you reading?" Emma asked her though she had clearly seen the page. She sat down slowly beside her where her spell had just previously struck the ground.

(OOC: We can just keep it and continue from this)

~ Emmaline Louise Hill ~