Study Room

Register
Sign in

The Periculum Predicament  PV 

It was a couple of days after the Syrah's first Defense Against the Dark Arts class where she had been lovingly introduced to the Periculum spell - a spell much like a muggle flare. Basically it was used to call for aid when in a dangerous situation. For a young witch like herself this could come in handy providing she ever got herself into trouble. If something happened she was not at a level of knowledge to defend herself, so she would need outside help. Of course she was hoping she would never have to officially use this spell - but she certainly needed to know it just in case.

She though about practicing the spell outside on the castle grounds. Periculum was a spell that shot spraks high into the air so she needed a lot of space above her so she wouldn't burn anything down. But then she though if she did it where a bunch of people could see the spell, but not necessarily see her then they might think she actually needed help. She didn't want to cause a panick, that would be embarrassing. So instead she found the Defense Against the Dark Arts study room within the castle. She though about her dorm room or common room but since Slytherin was located in the basement, the ceilings were not very high. The study room was only on the first floor but the first floor, in her opinion, seemed to have the highest ceilings not coukding the entry or ground floor. Her DADA teacher was able to shoot Periculum in the classroom, and so the study room wasn't much different. 

The spell made a but if noise when it blew up, but not too much that she would feel bad about practicing if inside. Hogwarts had to be used to strange noises like this. It was a magical learning castle anyway. 

So she stood by a desk in the study room, her wand out and at the ready. Concentrating hard, she didn't want to mess it up, she though about the outcome she wanted. She had the incantation pronunciation down and the wand movement wasn't really movement at all it was just a point. So in reality it really wasn't a difficult spell looking at it, but it was magic after all and so there was more to it than that. 

She thought her first attempt would at least produce some sort of spark or light since she got a slightly successfull cast in class the first day, but to her disappointment nothing happened. She tried again.
Last edited by Syrah Steele on 23rd May 2018, 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stamina: 1pt - Agility: 3pts - Strength: 2pts
Control: 8pts - Arcane Power: 9pts - Accuracy: 7pts

Her second attempt was alright. Still not as good as she got in class. Perhaps that was a fluke, or beginners luck or something. But it did show here what she could be getting to. And hopefully past that eventually with practice. She jumped in surprise when she heard another voice talking to her. She hadn't noticed the young Hufflepuff come into the study room. Her wand faltered from where she held it up to the ceiling, but once she got her wits back about her she lowered her wand and thought about what the kid had said.

Syrah didn't appreciate much being told what to do by someone in her own level. It was clear this girl was a first year, she looked young. And the girl wasn't even in her house. She looked at her blankly for a second, trying to decide what to say. She never was mean or angry on purpose, but it was a risk when she was caught off guard. She took a breath, though, and seemed fine. "Uh. Yeah. I suppose that might work."

Thinking more clearly she saw the logic in the girl's advice. She didn't want to admit it, but there was some sense in it. She happened to be concentrating very hard before the girl interrupted, and she supposed at the end of a long lesson in DADA that she might have had a more tired, if not relaxed, hand.

The intruder, seemingly sensing that fact, introduced herself. Robyn. Normal enough name, she had certainly heard it before. She gave a bit more advice but Syrah ignored it. Once piece of advice was good enough, any more and Syrah would most certainly get annoyed. Looking away from the girl, she pointed her wand back up at the roof. She took one more deep breath, recited the incantation in her mind just in case, and took a second to relax her hand, though not too much that the wand wouldn't survive any recoil.

"Periculum!" She announced and sparks flew from her wand. They didn't drift that high, but they did blow up into a tiny red firework. Not as bright or as large as Syrah would hope and it probably wouldn't draw attention in a real life setting so it was still basically useless. But it was an improvement, she hated to admit that the girls advice aided her.

"Thanks..." She said weakly, slightly defeated. "I'm Syrah."

Lucy was practically galloping down the hall when a peculiar sound caught her ear. How she heard it over the clatter of her footsteps, she didn't know. She was ecstatic about finishing her last class of the day and getting back to her dormitory, but her curiosity won out. She pulled to the side of the hallway and stuck her head in the door. A Hufflepuff and a Slytherin girl were in this particular study room, and just as Lucy looked in, the Slytherin shot off a round of Periculum sparks and introduced herself to the Hufflepuff.

"Thanks... I'm Syrah."

Lucy bounded into the room, slamming her books down on the table. "Syrah, that was great!" she called, as if she had been in the room the entire time. Not one for acknowledging socially acceptable interactions or introduction, she leapt over to the Slytherin girl. "The hue was so vivid! I mean, it didn't go very high, but you're probably subconsciously limiting yourself because of the roof." She pointed up as she babbled, excited about the magic that was just performed. Seeing anyone cast a spell still made her giddy. She had learned Periculum during her first lesson as well, but she couldn't get it to fire consistently.

"I cannot fire mine off consistently to save my life. Sometimes it's awesome," she crowed, eyes lighting up. "But sometimes nothing happens. Not a sound, spark, nothing. It's like I didn't even try to cast anything. That's the most embarrassing. You think I'd have enough willpower to at least cause a spell to backfire." Lucy giggled, and then turned to the other girl.

"Are you guys practising together? Of course you are. Silly me. Why else would you be in here? Well, don't let me interrupt you! I suppose you were about to take your turn. Let's see it, then," she called cheerfully, jumping on to a desk and swinging her legs in the air. Her eyes sparkled merrily as she looked at Robyn, but her posture communicated anticipation. 

STAMINA: 4 | AGILITY: 5 | STRENGTH: 3 | CONTROL: 7 | ARCPOWER: 5 | ACCURACY: 6

The loud and sudden noise of Lucy's arrival have surprisingly to the aspiring witch. Her wand hand faltered and she almost dropped her prized piece, but managed to maneuver her fingers just quick enough to catch it before it dropped. She had never seen this girl before and instantly wondered how the girl new Syrah's name. She did come it right as Syrah thanked Robyn, so perhaps she overheard and simply went with it. That was certainly possible. The new girls attitude and personality was astoundingly vibrant and for some reason Syrah instantly enjoyed the enthusiasm. Normally she would find such excitement annoying, but perhaps because the girl was being so excited about an achievement Syrah made, made Syrah enjoy the praise.

She smiled at the girl, unknowingly at first, but decided to go with it when she realized. "I can't fire consistently either." Syrah assured the newcomer. "You just happened to come in at the right time. I was failing pretty badly a moment ago."

Rubyn, during Lucy's request to see her own manifestation of the Periciulm spell, fell silent and Syrah looked over for a moment. She thought perhaps the girl was shy or something and maybe Lucy's extravagant personality scared her. She could understand that. So in order to spare the girl's feelings, Syrah countered. "Well, what about you, whatever your name is, let's see your spell before you start demanding ours, huh?" She said, a playful smile on her face.

Reducio
I like to do dice rolls whenever Lucy attempts to cast spells. For this post, since it's an easier spell, anything from a 7+ will be a perfect cast, 3-6 will be a decent cast, and 1-2 will be a complete misfire. I roll 1 d10 on this website and take the first number it gives me.

"Well, what about you, whatever your name is, let's see your spell before you start demanding ours, huh?"

Lucy grinned back at the smiling girl, hopping off the table. "Lucy O'Sullivan, at your service. Ask and you shall receive!" she declared in an overly-exaggerated pompous voice. She walked a few steps away, turned back to the girl, and bowed as if she were practising for a duel instead of just sending off her spell. "Well..." she paused, showing just a bit of uncertainty. "Like I said, don't expect too much. I'm not very consistent."

With that statement, Lucy relaxed. Despite not knowing these two girls, she felt at ease. After all, Syrah's spell hadn't been particularly wonderful, so Lucy didn't feel like she had to prove herself. It also helped that they had learned this spell at the beginning of the year, so she had more practice with it. With a smirk, she stared directly into Syrah's eyes, going for an intense stare-down, almost like those weird American cowboy movies.

I rolled a 5, so the spell will be decent.
She released the tension in her shoulders, raised her wand, and clearly enunciated, "Periciulum!" She broke eye contact with Syrah to watch her spell. She noted with obvious pleasure that red sparks shot out of her wand as soon as she finished uttering the word, but the flare did not go very high and the sparks did not stay and hover above their heads like they were supposed to do. Instead, they disappeared almost instantly about two meters above their heads.

Lucy shrugged with a grin. "Like I said, I'm not very consistent. But man, when I get it right, it really goes! ... Hopefully we never actually need to use it, though," she added on the last sentence as an afterthought, recalling her father's stories of a serious war that occurred at Hogwarts a few decades ago.

Lucy O'Sullivan. It was a very common first and last name. Not very unique, though Syrah was unsure what origin those names were from. They certainly didn't sound British at the very least. Despite her common name, Syrah thought it fit the blonde girl. She was energetic and the name Lucy was always something that reminded Syrah of fun and surprise. She liked the girl and her theatrical ways. 

She braced herself for Lucy's spell. Syrah was pretty unsure about her own magical abilities and the just thought, perhaps because of her own insecurities, that she would be better at pulling off the spell than Syrah was.

Of course Lucy could be a second year or something. She certainly looked young enough to be a first year. Syrah assumed she was because of her excitement about Syrah's spell she saw when she walked in. 

Syrah's insecurities seemed to come to light when Lucy lit up the spell. It, at least to Syrah, seemed.fantastic. yes it didn't go up all the way and it faltered and went out before it maybe should have. But the color was bright and amazing. It certainly would have caught someones attention it fired outside. Which, of course, was the whole point of the spell. 

She grinned, though, when she saw it. She couldn't help but be excited dispite her slight dissapointment in herself. "Hey that was so good! The color was great!" She exclaimed. "There's no way that wouldnt have caught attention!"

"Of course it needs more work. But so does mine and probably every other first years. You are a first year right? Sorry I guess I just assumed."

Glad to have you back!

Lucy felt herself preening as she listened to their praise. A wide grin burst across her face, causing her nose to wrinkle and her eyes to twinkle. It didn't take much for her to start feeling a bit proud, and the girls were so sincere and nice in their praise that Lucy decided to take a spontaneous bow. She knew that the spell was not her best, but they were being gracious. Besides, it felt good to feel proud of her performance. She didn't notice Syrah's tactful constructive criticism tacked on after the praise.

Her grin grew wider still - if that were possible - when Syrah asked if she was actually a first year student. Lucy took this as a compliment. Had she performed the spell so well that Syrah assumed she was actually a year or two above them? She giggled a little, nodding in confirmation. "Yup, I'm a first year. But not for very much longer!" she realised, eyes widening as she contemplated the term ending soon.

Robyn's movement caught her eye, and she watched as the girl rolled up her sleeves. Oh, goody, Lucy cheered in her head. We all get to show off our skills!

She watched eagerly and was quick to break into applause as soon as something happened. Lucy noticed that the sparks weren't plentiful, and weren't even necessarily the right colour, but the girl had managed to produce something.

"Well done... ah," Lucy frowned momentarily, realising she didn't know the other Hufflepuff's name. "... I'm sure someone would see your call for help!" she continued on, stumbling past the awkward pause where Robyn's name should have been. "I think if you said the spell with even more confidence it would shine brighter and go even higher! Between the three of us, we could make a wicked cool fireworks display."

Syrah laughed, she was really enjoying the atmosphere these two girls were giving off. The whole study room seemed playful and supportive. She was also very glad Robyn decided to join in on the fun. Her spell wasn't as good as Lucy's or Syrah's, but it was still something. Plus, as Lucy confirmed, they were indeed all first years and so, of course, they would all need more practice. That's why they were here in the study room after all, right?

Syrah twirled her wand in her hand, amused at Lucy's exclamation at a fireworks show. She let her mind run with that a moment. It would be super neat to create fireworks. Though she assumed the only color Periculum could be was red. Then she thought of her Zwevendous spell that Ami had taught her. Those balls of light could be any color, though Syrah could only cast one or two at the moment - she needed more practice with that too. But she wondered if she could launch those balls of light into the air quickly. Maybe some sort of combination of Periculumn and Zwevendous could make a pretty decent firework display.

She shook her head at herself, she was going off topic. "That was super good Robyn. I mean OF COURSE we all need more practice, it's certainly not perfect. But that's what we are doing here in the first place, right?" She grinned at her companions. 

"Unfortunately this is really the only spell I know at the moment besides Incendio. And I'd much rather practice that outside since someone in my common room burned the place down the other day practicing it." She grimaced at the mess it had made. She was one of the lucky few to see the damage before it was magically restored. 

Sorry, I somehow missed the notification that Robyn replied! Sorry, friends.
A smirk played across Lucy's lips as she listened to Syrah talk about the unfortunate incident with the Fire-Making Spell. She hadn't caught wind of the disastrous event, but, then again, disastrous events seemed to be the norm at Hogwarts. Luckily most magic could patch things up fairly quickly. If that weren't the case, she thought the castle would look much, much worse. 

Lucy eagerly shook Robyn's hand, noting her last name with raised eyebrows. How cool would it be to have a last name like that! She would feel like a princess locked in a "high tower." Heh. She mentally shook her head at her own bad pun, tuning back in to Robyn. She immediately started shaking her head when Robyn mentioned the restricted section. Lucy had absolutely no desire to get in trouble. Or, as Robyn continued talking about the consequences of finding the books, she realised they could be expelled!

"I am from Canterbury, born and raised." Lucy tried to search in her mind where exactly that was. She knew it was in the southeastern region of England, but she couldn't pin down the exact location of the city. Geography had never been her strong suit.

"I live just outside of Headford, Ireland. In Galway County," she smiled, not expecting them to know exactly where that was located. If she couldn't picture their exact town, she didn't expect them to do it, either. "Wow, five siblings! I don't even have one. You're lucky. I had no idea what to expect when I got here except what my dad told me when he attended here ages ago. You're so lucky."

She was enjoying the company of these two girls. they weren't in her house and she wasn't sure either of them was in any of her classes, although the O'Sullivan girl looked somewhat familiar. As the practicing of Periculum seemed to lessen and the chatter became for frequent, Syrah faltered for a moment. She still wanted to practice her spell, it was obviously not perfected, or even close, yet. But she also was, surprisingly, enjoying talking with her peers in the Study Room. She wondered if she should keep practicing or pause for a bit of a break and converse. 

It would seem rude to just ignore the girls as they spoke around her. So she lowered her wand and perched her back against the counter lining the room. Robyn was also from England, but not from London, and Lucy was from Ireland. she hated to admit it but she often got Ireland and Scotland confused, and they never seemed too keen on that, so she certainly took a second to sort it out in her mind. It was easier now that she was in Scotland, rather than when she was living at home in England.

"I'm just from London." She said, nonchalantly. She loved her home city, but found that it was never very special to anyone else, especially everyone at Hogwarts. There was this one summer camp she went too when she was a lot younger, she loved bragging about her home there, most everyone else was from little towns across Britain. They loved it then, now it was just not important. "But I'm an only child too, Lucy." She did enjoy that little tidbit about herself. She never wanted a sibling and she didn't think she would like one either.

Lucy latched on to the name of a place that she recognized. After all, it would be hard not to. Everyone had to go to London to get to Platform 9 and 3/4.  "I love London!" Lucy exclaimed,  taking a couple of steps back toward Syrah. "I think it would be so great to live in a big city. You could meet new people every single day. How cool would that be?" she grinned, walking over to lean against the counter next to the Slytherin. 

As she leaned against the counter, she realized that she was still holding her wand, forgotten in the course of getting to know the two girls. She gripped the piece of cherry wood with mixed emotions, still not completely happy with the wand that she ended up with. 

"Say, can I see your wand? I love to look at all the different ones Ollivander makes. Do you remember what hetold you when he gave it to you? Like what kind of wizard it was destined for? I was super disappointed with mine. It's kinda ugly. There was one that he handed me that I was sure was going to be the one, it was so beautiful. As I held it I just had this feeling, you know? But when I waved it... absolute disaster! Water shot out of it and soaked poor Mr. Ollivander. He wasn't very happy after that." She paused and smiled at the memory. "Anyway, here's mine. It's a bit ugly, but it is powerful enough. He said it was perfect for travellers and explorers who yearn for frequent challenges. When I first got it I was sure there was some mistake. But, you know what... maybe he knew more than I did back then."

She shook her head as she held out her wand for Syrah to inspect, snapping out of her monologue. She remembered that she had initially asked Syrah a question, and then just kept rambling about her own story. She had to stop doing that. "Sorry! Tell me about yours."

She smiled at Lucy. She enjoyed topics of wands and other such magical items. She had always wondered on other kinds of magical items, though the only thing she had besides a wand was a remembrall, and everyone had those. Syrah herself, though, liked her wand. It seemed plain and unassuming, not bulky, which she enjoyed. Though Ollivander said it would be good for transfiguration spells, which Syrah had a feeling she would be awful at since the subject already confused her. Though, having an ideal wand for that subject would help her hopefully.

As Lucy went on her rant Syrah took the girls wand and gave it a once over. It was a nice one, but Syrah preferred hers.  "He just said mine was good for Transfiguration. I don't remember anything else he said unfortunately." She wasn't sure if he mentioned a kind of wizard it was destined for. Though could someone really know that? Or could a wand really even have a destiny? It was just a magical piece of wood. Though, with magic, anything was possible, apparently. "But I like mine, here you can see it." She handed it out for a moment and took it back gently when Lucy finished gazing at it.

Suddenly her pocket seemed to warm up a little and she pulled her remembrall from it. It was glowing red, the fog inside swirling. Syrah frowned for a moment, and then gasped. The ball slowly cleared and Syrah put it back in her pocket. "Hey! I'm sorry I totally forgot I have a meeting with a teacher. Dang, that this really is handy isn't it?" She giggled. "Sorry about that, but I do have to run! It was great meeting you two! And with that Syrah gave a small smile and wave and rushed out of the room to make it in time for her teacher meeting.

A Transfiguration wand? That was pretty neat. I sure could use extra help in that department, Lucy thought, sighing a bit. When Syrah held out her wand for Lucy to inspect, Lucy took it and admired its simple elegance. "Aw man, you got one just like I wanted. It's so slim and elegant. Mine is bulky," Lucy commented as Syrah took her wand back. She tried not to pout, but she didn't succeed very well. She found herself becoming more and more jealous as her first-year went on, and that wasn't something that she enjoyed about herself. She took in a deep breath, trying to clear the uncomfortable feeling out of her chest. 

She was lost in thought when Syrah's panic brought her back to the present. "A meeting? I hope it's not anything bad!" Lucy smiled, sure of the fact that Syrah wouldn't be going to detention or something equally ominous. "It was great meeting you as well!" Lucy called after the quickly retreating figure, waving slightly even though the Slytherin girl couldn't see. She lowered her hand, a smile still on her face. She rather enjoyed meeting Syrah. I hope I get to see her around the castle every so often, she thought, realizing that this girl was the first Slytherin she had actually interacted with. Something she said as she left niggled at her brain, though. 

Wait... she said it was "good meeting you two." Two? She turned, realizing Robyn was still in the room.  Duh, of course! "Oh! Well, I think we're done practising. I'm going to head out too, but it was good to meet you as well!" Lucy smiled at the other Hufflepuff girl and left the room.

Reducio
Lucy has exited the thread.