Study Room

Register
Sign in
  Back

Just A Muggle Girl Living in a Wizard World  Clos 

Ami drummed her fingers aimlessly on the table, staring mindlessly at the textbook in front of her. She didn't even remember which subject's homework she was trying to do, honestly... was it Potions of Defense Against the Dark Arts? Both professors were terrifying females, so she really didn't remember. To her surprise, the only subject that interested her was History of Magic, which was odd- she'd never been much for History in the Muggle world. But History of Magic was just so... grippingly gory, and that excited Ami in a weird way. Also, Professor Cazarez was a top-notch teacher.

She sighed, pushing her notebook and textbook away, giving up on trying to accomplish something, and leaned back in her chair, twirling her pencil around and around her fingers. She never got the hang of using a quill and had given up two days in, giving them (and the ink) away to the other girls in her dorm. If only she had someone to teach her about all this crazy stuff she didn't know about... she wasn't exactly what you'd call an "informed witch"- more like an "ignorant Muggle". She looked around for someone who looked like they knew what they were doing and waved at another girl who was similarly looking around the room, at another table.

esse quam videri
STA: 2 | AGI: 4 | STR: 7 | CTL: 6 | ArcP: 4 | ACC: 7

Ava was looking around the room, a bit frustrated. She did not want to do this homework at all. Why would she need to know ANYTHING about the gargoyle strike? It was so long ago, no one except the teachers really cares about it. She got back to her piece of paper and started working. The faster I do this, the faster I will get out of here and can do the potions homework. she thought. Potions were her favorite subject that she absolutely loved. But for now... Let's take a break. the girl thought and looked around the Study Room.

Suddenly, something caught her eye. Another girl in the room was waving in her direction, looking like she needed something. Ava looked around, trying to see if it was not meant for anyone else, but no one was really around her so the girl assumed it was for her. She walked up to the girl with a very confused look on her face.

"Uh... Hello? What do you need?" she said, raising one brow and looked at the piece of paper the other girl had on the table before her. "Oh. Potions, huh?" Ava's eyes lit up. She loved that subject, as both her mom, sister and both grandmothers were not only pretty famous mediwizards but also loved making potions. 

faceclaim: Yvonne Michel |
STA: 3 | AGI: 3 | STR: 5 | CON: 4 | ARCP: 8 | ACC: 7 |

To her relief, the girl she had waved down (a Slytherin, she noted) came over without much protest. "Yes," Ami sighed in relief, in answer to the girl's question. Her savior had come! "God, I have absolutely no clue as to what on earth Professor Ethel's trying to teach us in this class. Can you help me?" Ami asked desperately, putting on her best puppy dog face. "I honestly don't understand a word she taught us. And I can't afford to get anything else below an O... my mom's gonna kill me if I do." Ami rubbed her face, exhausted from overworking herself. 

"I already have an A in Herbology," she continued on, now babbling from nervousness. "But that O in History of Magic brought me up to an E... Man, this wizarding grading system is so weird. O, E, A, P, D, T? Is that what it is? A, B, C, D, F was so much easier to understand," Ami sighed, now rubbing her wrists. "Oh, America, how I miss you so, with your easier grading system and logical letter grades."

Realizing she probably sounded like a crazy person, she looked down at her notebook, the passage she just read from the textbook now swimming around in her head, incomprehensible. The neatly minuscule notes she'd taken from Potions were on a separate sheet, also in front of her. It was nearly a word-for-word transcription of Professor Ethel's lesson- well-versed in shorthand, it was no trouble at all for Ami to jot down everything she said, and then to later translate it into normal text.

esse quam videri

Ava chuckled. "Of course I can help you. I needed a break from History of Magic anyway. I hate Mr. Cazarez. At least his subject. Well, the grading system is pretty easy to remember if you get used to it. I was in a muggle school for the most of my life too, but that was because I had to learn how to spell, count, write and all that and... well, because of the divorce my parents did not have much time to teach me all that." the girl shrugged. "O stands for Outstanding. E is for Exceeds Expectations. A is Acceptable. P is Poor, D is Dreadful and T is... Troll." the Silver girl looked off to the side. "I got mostly A's, one O, and one D. My sister will kill me if I get something worse than an E on potions. She's a Mediwizard, like most women in my family so it's kind of a tradition for us to get good grades from Herbology and Potions." 

Ava took a deep breath. "Sorry, I like talking about potions and all that," she said, chuckling nervously. "By the way, what's your name if you don't mind me asking? My name is Ava Silver, a proud pure-blood & Slytherin at your service." the Silver smiled, extending an arm towards the Hufflepuff girl.

Ami looked up with interest when Ava mentioned History of Magic. "History of Magic? That might just be the only class that makes sense to me in this blasted school- at least I can connect it with my old school's history. I can't wait until we're allowed to take Arithmetics. Maybe..." she hesitated. "Maybe you could help me with my Potions homework, and then I can help you with your History of Magic homework? I have all of Professor Cazarez's notes until the second lecture," Ami added, somewhat helpfully. "I haven't had a chance to attend his third, yet."

"O for Outstanding, E for Exceeds Expectation, A for Acceptable, P for Poor, D for Dreadful, and T for Troll," Ami repeated. "Okay. I think I got it. Maybe. Probably not. I'm going to forget it in the next ten minutes, but I might remember it."

"Ava Silver, pureblood," Ami repeated, brushing her fingertips against Ava's palm, not actually shaking her hand- she didn't shake. "I'm Ami Procoppio, ignorant Muggle-raised half-blood. Hufflepuff, although you can't really tell," she added, looking down at her ripped jeans, tight black camisole, and huge white headphones around her neck. "I abhor dress codes," Ami said in a confidential matter. "The robes' sleeves make it impossible for me to write anything without smearing it."

esse quam videri

"Well. then maybe you should go to Madame Malkin so she can correct it? Mine don't really do that, I'm perfectly fine with my robes." Ava said, shrugging and taking her hand back, seeing that the girl is not going to shake it anyway. "Well, it's great to meet you, Ami." she smiled and looked at the notes. "So, which question do you need help with?" she looked at her homework to see a bunch of doodles. "First of all, I suggest we write everything here for now and then we rewrite it onto a clean piece of parchment" the young Slytherin chuckled, pointing at one of the doodles.

"Second of all, I think with all," she said and sat down a bit closer to the Hufflepuff girl that introduced herself as Ami Procoppio (or an ignorant Muggle if you prefer that) and looked at the first question and read it out loud. "One: describe each of the rules related to potion's making that we talked about in the lesson. Explain why they are important. So first of all, we need the rules and then the explanation. Check your notes," she said and took the notebook out of the girl's hands and pointed at some paragraphs.

"Clean parchment. Right," Ami sighed, pushing her notebook aside, picking up a new ream of parchment- she'd trim it later. 

"Check your notes," Ava suggested, so Ami let her eyes skim over her cramped handwriting, and pointed to a section. "That one." To Ami's pleasure, she'd done a pretty spot-on job of taking notes, so she'd captured pretty much the entire lesson.

We shall now talk about a few rules concerning the arts of the potion’s making. First of all, your materials must always be as clean as possible. Like I said earlier each detail is important but this one is crucial. Making a potion in a dirty cauldron would result in creating a poison. A second important point would be to never drink an unfinished potion. This could result in intoxication yourself and unwanted effects. You must obligatory respect each step of a potions recipe. Otherwise, your potion will fail. Is that clear for everyone?

"I think," Ami amended, in case she wasn't correct. "They kind of seem more like guidelines though, right? Like, do this, and you won't suck too much." She rubbed the back of her neck, sighing in discomfort. "Teachers. Why can't they ever speak like normal human beings?"

esse quam videri

"These are the ones you need. Yeah, they kind of sound like guidelines, but you would not want to create a poison instead of, let's say, a cure for boils, would you? Same with drinking an unfinished draught, right? And I am saying that from experience." Ava said and rolled up one of the robe's sleeve and showed her a big scar on her arm. "Well, that was a spilling an unfinished potion, but it kind of is the same, I think. It still hurt though!" she said with irony in her voice. "When it comes to drinking it, I would have to show you scans of my throat, which I do not casually have laying around." she chuckled nervously. 

"Anyway, we can't just write this down, right? We need to form it differently and then form an explanation," she said and pointed at the first question. "You form it and I will go through your notes so we can find more information about the second question and I will highlight everything." the girl said and took the notebook and some quill, along with some red ink and read the second question out loud. "Two: Give an example of a potion from each type and justify why you choose it. (Mental, physical and environment) You must not take the three choices mentioned in the lesson." she pulled out her book and highlighted the potions mentioned in the lessons. 

Ami sighed, and picked up her pencil. Writing her name in the upper right-hand corner, she began to write out the answer to the assignment.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aliquam molestie, nibh ut posuere mollis, purus dui blandit nibh, nec vehicula odio ante sed nisl. Praesent ornare enim aliquam augue condimentum, sollicitudin aliquam lacus placerat. Cras et rhoncus lacus. Proin luctus neque mauris, luctus tincidunt lorem tristique ut. Donec pharetra et quam sed pellentesque. Etiam faucibus pulvinar quam, ac ultrices purus aliquam at. Aenean vitae consectetur enim, vel placerat ante.

Integer nisi sem, condimentum a tortor vitae, varius venenatis neque. Sed laoreet felis id tellus imperdiet, vehicula convallis nulla consectetur. Donec vitae molestie velit, et ultricies nisi. In gravida justo lorem, eu dapibus arcu mollis eu. Vivamus lobortis porta mi, varius tristique sapien egestas ut.

Ami sighed, leaning back in her chair. She knew the requirements (a minimum of 5 lines per answer, watch out for spelling), but earning an O meant going above and beyond. How could she do that?

"Hey, Ava," Ami said softly. "Can you read this over? I want to get an O, do you think there's any way to make it better?"
Last edited by Ami Procoppio on 23rd April 2018, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

esse quam videri

"Sure!" Ava quickly took the notes and read what the Hufflepuff girl wrote. "No, I think it is perfect. Now, for the second question I cannot really help you since you have to pick the potions you are going to describe. But this seems perfect, really! If you can find or make up something that could happen if you do not follow these rules, but I don't think it is mandatory. Now for the second question..." she said and gave the girl her book and Ami's notebook. "I have highlighted the potions that the teacher mentioned in the lesson already, so you can pick any other than that. Except that, maybe do only beginner level potions? that is what I will do, but it is your choice." the girl said and took a deep breath. "Again, I talk too much. Now, in my books, I already have bookmarked the potions on the beginner level, so if you want to do these, you can use that. I suggest we do that last since it will require the book and all that, not only your notes."

She read the third question. "Three:  Describe each of the important material that is needed to a Potioneer to create potions. Explain why they are used and why they are important." Ava said and pointed at some of the highlighted paragraphs in Ami's notes. 

"Wait, hang on," Ami mumbled, rubbing her nose. "Sweet Jesus, slow down a bit." She scribbled some things down, and went over the third question in her head. "So, is this kind of like a repeat of question one? I really don't get what she's asking us to do. I blame her accent, not my utter stupidity." Ami looked at the highlighted portion of her notes, and nodded in agreement. "Actually, what you said makes a lot more sense." She scribbled the answers down, and looked at the last two questions on her own, quickly locating a jotting down the answers (also to save her admin's hands from twenty years of typing and thinking).

"Okay," Ami said, setting her pencil down. "What did you need help with on your History of Magic homework? Because luckily for you, I love that class. And the Professor. Cazarez and Ethel, Cazarez and Wright, or Wright and Ethel? Any of them could work," Ami said, leaning in like she was trading extremely juicy gossip. "I can potentially see myself at all three of their wedding's..." Ami sighed happily, then jerked back to the present. "I'm sorry, that was probably really weird. What did you need help with?" she asked, not fully realizing that she was repeating herself.

esse quam videri

"The second lecture of History of Magic," Ava said and walked away from the girl to get her notes and books. She came back a minute later with not only the mandatory books but also some things about the subject of the second lecture she found in the library. The Slytherin girl also took her assignment out and proceeded to read the questions written on it out loud. "Question 1: (5 points)
What was Emeric the Evil's goal and how did he attempt to accomplish it? Question 2: (5 points)
Compare and Contrast the Gargoyle Strike of 1911 with the Goblin Revolt of Elfric the Eager. Question 3: (5 points)
What was done to combat Emeric and how did it finally come to end? Who won the war? Question 4: (2 bonus points) Why do you think the Goblins revolted under Elfric and do you think his punishment was fair? Same with you and potions, I have no idea what Mr. Cazarez is trying to teach us. I practically wrote down the whole lesson so I can read it when I'm doing my homework, but I still can't understand a thing, even when I'm not in that class with my head hurting," she said and sat down. 

OOC: Hey, maybe we should replace the actual things with Lorem Ipsum etc., so people won't cheat and use what we came up with here?

Done. Smart idea.

Ami looked through Ava's notes, pleased to see they were as accurate as she said they were. "Well, that's a fair start. Underline-" Here, Ami handed Ava a sparkly purple gel pen. "-anything you see relating to Emeric the Evil. And do you still have your notes and assignment for the Gargoyle Strike? You'll need those, too. Umm..." Ami tapped her finger against her chin. "Oh!" She reached into her pencil case for a blue highlighter. "Highlight anything you think is common between the Gargoyle Strike and Emeric the Evil. We'll see where to go on from there."

Reaching over to give the highlight to Ava, Ami accidentally knocked over her thermos of coffee. Thankfully, it didn't spill over their homework- but unfortunately, it hit the ground and shattered. "Oh my gosh," Ami yelped. "Gosh, I'm such an idiot. The cleaners here are probably already furious with me from the Trophy Case Debacle... imagine if they found out I did this, too." She picked up the remains of the thermos, dumping them into the trash bin. "Golly. I'm such a clumsy fool. So sorry about that," she added, mostly directly it towards Ava, although a part of her prayed the librarian didn't come over to yell at them. 

esse quam videri

Ava laughed at the girl panicking over the thermal cup. "Reparo," she said and just watched the cup form back together. "Well, that did not clean the coffee up," Ava said picking the girl's cup up and putting the cup back into Ami's arms. "But I do not really think the 'cleaners' as you called them will mind. And while it does sound cruel, house elves like working, so I suggest you do not worry." she rolled her eyes and looked at the items the girl just gave her. She remembered other kids in her muggle school she had to go to had similar ones but she never felt the need to. "Of course I have the Gargoyle Strike ones, who would throw them out, they are pretty useful after all and I guess you also need them for this homework...?" she said, not sure of her last sentence. She knew that the events were somehow related, but had no idea how. "Ok..." she took the things Ami gave her and started highlighting everything she saw about Emeric the Evil and then she moved onto the things that were common between the Gargoyle Strike and the Goblin Revolt.

She started reading the notes. She highlighted most of the things about Emeric the Evil, but she did not find anything relating to the Gargoyle Strike. "I have no idea..." she said and pushed the notes away for now. 

Seeing as Ava was pretty much done with her homework (Ami could relate), Ami investigated her repaired thermos with interest. "House elves..." Ami mused, setting her now-empty coffee mug down. "I'd love to meet them someday. They're extremely nice, I'll bet, considering they do all this for us without a fuss. Also, that was a neat little bit of magic you did there. I've tried it, but it failed horribly- probably because I'm not magical enough," she added, rubbing the back of her neck ruefully. "Oh well. Hopefully, I'll get better, so I won't flunk out of this school."

Ami looked over her Potions homework once more, and satisfied with her work, she stuffed it into her folder, ready to turn it in. Hopefully, the teacher professor would be able to read her tiny handwriting, as sometimes it seemed illegible to the human eye without the use of a magnifying glass. However, she knew that Ava's help would make a noticeable impact on the quality of her work, and she was excited to see the results Ava's advice would yield. Instead of rushing through her work like she normally did, Ami was pleased to notice that she'd taken her time, thoroughly reviewing her notes and writing out her answer in full sentences.

Reducio
Sorry for being gone so long, I had a couple of irl things I needed to facilitate and manage and crap like that, because ew responsibility lol.

esse quam videri
  Back