Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in

Do you mind?  PV Tomás Walsh   Closed 

Mariela was walking around the train station, looking for platform 9 and 3/4. Her parents were walking with her wanting to say their last goodbye before they had to leave Mariela to go to Hogwarts. They had to hurry or else Mariela would miss the train and Mariela did not want that to happen. According to her parent's wizard friends, platform 9 3.4 was in between platform 9 and 10. Luckily, they saw some wizards and witches accompany their sons and daughters to platform 9 and 3/4. So, Mariela and her parents and brothers followed them, finding it fascinating how they went through the wall.
Once they got to the train, Mariela said her last goodbyes to her parents and brothers, feeling sad for leaving them but she knew they wanted her to take this opportunity.
Mariela walked into the train and looked around. It was full of new or returning wizards and witches. She walked around the train, trying to find a place to sit at but it was all mostly full. She soon reached a place in the back of the train where there was a boy sitting alone. She knocked on the door before peaking her head in.
"Hi um... do you mind if I sit here?" she asked, nervously and also in a shy way. "Everywhere else it's full..."
Last edited by Luna Aurelius on 27th September 2018, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Be the person who decided to just GO FOR IT
~Unknown

Tomás had arrived early as he always did. The sight of magical Creatures, Shops and vendors was something to behold. His parents always said "early bird gets the worm" but with the amount of times they said it had become extremely irritating. That led to the annoying situation of being 30 minutes early. Naturally waiting led to the daydreaming that absorbed his focus and senses.

While families said their goodbyes and various people sold sweets and toys; Tomás watched from the carriage window in a daydreaming stupor. There was even a cat hunting the plump pigeons that inhabited the station. It was about 29 minutes later when the letter he'd been given from his mother began to talk. Unfortunately the fright overpowered his amazement and he began stomping on it. What was a nice goodbye from his family was crushed under his boot.

The boy alone in the carriage bolted upright upon hearing her voice. Clearly he'd been startled by something. The muffled speaking voice under his foot stopped when Mariela spoke. "Yeah sure. Go ahead" he said in a in one of the many variations of the Irish accent. "I'm Tomás by the way; what's your name?" The young man seemed friendly enough; a bit strange at the least.

Mariela was surprised as she had heard the voice but did not ask about it.
"Th- thank you ..." She said with a small , shy yet friendly smile. She sat across from him near the window.
"My name is Mariela ..." she replied when he asked for her name. She played with her fingers nervously as she looked at the boy then looked out the window. She was really shy when it came to talking or just meeting new people . She never really knew what to say.
She looked down at the ground and saw the letter that Tomás had been stomping on . She didn't want to be rude but was curious as why the letter had been talking.
"Why was that talking?" She finally asked as she looked at the letter then looked up at Tom. She was new to all of the magical things, being a muggle and all. She had stared at everything while shopping at Diagon Alley. Some boys had even made fun of her for it. She really hoped she did not come across them again since they did not seem nice at all. But Tom looked friendly so hopefully they could be friends. 

~Unknown

It took a few moments to click in Tomás' brain what Mariela was talking about. He'd been watching her fidget with her fingers. The train was finally moving now; the slow crawl towards the castle where the two would be taught. "Oh that?" he asked after moving his foot from on top of the formerly sentient piece of paper which now featured his shoe print. "I haven't a clue to be honest. Maybe it was enchanted or something?" Being a Half-Blood he'd heard some stories and seen examples of magic from his mother but nothing that weird.

"Whatever it was I think I broke it." He had it clenched between his index finger and thumb in a curious way close to his face. "Ma will not be happy with me." His grayish blue eyes flickered over to Mariela now; a curiousity in them. He smiled back now. "You're welcome and nice to meet ya. It would be rude to hog all of this carriage to myself." The messy hair and frizzy jumper didn't paint a wealthy picture of the boy sitting across from the young witch.

He was clearly a talker it seemed; albeit in a rugged West Clare accent that put H's into words that wouldn't have em.

" Oh... I see ... " Mariela said, her British accent noticeable. She nodded slightly as she looked down at the paper that now had his footprint on it before looking back up at the boy. 
"You're welcome and nice to meet ya. It would be rude to hog all of this carriage to myself."
Mariela smiled and giggle a little as he said this. She was starting to feel more comfortable talking to Tom. She was glad he was nice and she did not mind at all that he was a talkative boy since him talking would help her distract her from missing home too much. She looked out the window for a bit, taking in the scenery before them. Her eyes which sometimes looked grey but now looked green were filled with curiosity. She had never traveled away from home and even though she was curious and excited to go to Hogwarts, she was also nervous and knew she'd miss home a lot. She'd miss pranking her brothers all the time and them pranking her back. But as she thought about it, when she learned magic, she'd be able to prank her brothers in a better way with the new magic she learned. She had already read about a few spells from the books she had gotten and had tried to do them with her wand but, she had not done a good job with one of the spells and had accidentally broken her mother's favorite mug.

~Unknown

"So..." Tomás said while awkwardly rubbing his neck. The happiness Mariela showed was unfamiliar since usually it was only his twin brother he'd have to talk to. As a consequence talking to girls didn't come naturally. "Did you get a wand?" he asked making sure his hadn't been lost somewhere. Losing things was quite common in his house. You'd leave something out of your hand for one second and then it would practically grow legs and walk off.

The 25cm stick that emerged from the faded green school bag at the boys' feet was a dark brown Ash wood with a white rounded bit at the base of the handle. It was slightly bendy but stubborn enough to flick back into shape. It tapered to a fine point near the end and looked superbly well crafted. "Apparently it has dragon heart inside of it but I don't to break it to find out. At first I thought we'd get staffs like Gandalf from Lord of the Rings."

His smile widened at a memory suddenly. "I was given three others before this one but each time I broke a window or they refused to work. Being chosen by a wand is hard."

Mariela did not mind talking to boys since she did have two older brothers . But she was still shy and awkward when talking to somebody new she did not know . 

"Did you get a wand?" He asked

Mariela nodded when he asked about the wand.  She chuckled a little when he said he thought they were going to get staffs like in Lord of the Rings. "I've never seen Lord of the Rings but my brothers have."

She rumaged through her bag for a bit and took out her wand when she found it so he could see. " This is my wand. " Her wand was a 29,5 cm chestnut wood and unicorn hair. It had a silver shade to it which Mariela liked.
"Yours has a dragons heart? Really? That's weird but cool too. Apparently mine has unicorn hair which is also weird but I mean ... Everything magical I have encountered has been weird but also cool," she said. "I had to try quite a few wands before finding this one. I thought I was not going to get a wand because I tried like ... About five or seven wands ... But luckily I got one ... I was a little worried because I am a ... Muggle ... I guess ... I do not know. That's what some guys told me." She looked down at her lap and played with her fingers as she said the last part.

~Unknown

When Marielas' expression saddened it began to rain heavily outside. Seeing Mariela go from happy to sad when she mentioned the boys that called her a muggle was quite disappointing to Tomás. He'd thought since the death of that dark lord guy his mother told him about; that there would be less racism from Purebloods but it seems that is not the case. An awkward silence began permeating the air after that.

Suddenly an idea popped into the hyperactive boys' head and he ran out of the carriage. It was an uneasy five to ten minutes before he came back; breathless with a bag full magical sweets and a large goofy smile. "These.. should." He had to regain his breath before speaking. "make you feel better. Chocolate has a feel good chemical in it. That chemical is also found in brains somehow."

This kid; who Mariela had only known for about ten to fifteen minutes at this point just ran through the carriage to buy sweets just to cheer her up. Impulsive and hyperactive seemed to be an understatement when describing the Irish boy. He sat down and handed the young witch the sweets bag before saying "Enjoy and your wand looks really nice."

Mariela did not mean to make an awkward silence. She watched as Tomás ran out of the  carrige and her eyebrows scrunched in confusion.
' Did I scare him out ?' she wondered to herself . She sat with her legs criss crossed and looked out the window at the pouring rain as she played with her fingers. She did not know if the boy would come back. He probably would because he had left his things there .

She turned her attention back to Tomás when he ran back in with the bag of sweets. She looked at the sweets with wide eyes before taking them from him when he handed them to her.
"Th- thanks but ... You did not need to buy these for me ... I could have bought them...." She said even though she knew she did not have a lot of money.

She looked in the bag and took out a chocolate frog. She looked at it with curiosity .
"A chocolate frog ...?"  She asked mostly to herself. She opened the small box and gasped as the frog jumped out of the box and onto the seat. Mariela's eyes were wide and she scooted away from it, not because she was scared but because she was surprised. "It's alive!?" she asked, not really yelling but she was just surprised. 

~Unknown

Th-thanks but... you did not need to buy these for me.. I could have brought them... "
He raised his hand with a smile on his face. "It's fine. I wanted to cheer you up and that was the first idea to pop up in there." he said pointing at his head with his index finger.

As Mariela opened the bag it dawned on the Tomás that he'd forgotten what he'd bought; having acted on impulse the entire time. Now the bags contents would be a surprise to both children. The smooth chocolate frog and its magical sentience were indeed a shock to the two. The amphibious treat used this to jump into the train hallway and out an open window into the pouring rain.

"Wow. How do they expect anyone to eat those?" The question was asked with genuine curiousity about how it worked and the possible applications of that use of magic. "We have a lot to learn I guess. What else is there because those frogs could be safety hazards." The train rode on through the Scottish country side while the rain obscured a wonderful view of the moors and lakes outside the retentively quiet train car.

"It's fine. I wanted to cheer you up and that was the first idea to pop up in there."

Mariela smiled as he said this. The rain outside started to lessen as the train drove on. "Well thank you ... This really helps," she said.

"I do not know how they expect us to eat it if it is in a way ... Alive I guess ... I do not know. It is just weird if you think about it ... Eating a chocolate frog that is alive by magic ..." She sighed and shrugged.

Mariela looked in the bag and looked at what else Tomás had bought. She took out something that looked like jelly beans. "Multi flavored... Hmm... I wonder what type of flavors it has sincr it says multiflavored..." She said as she opened the box. 

Mariela thought the jelly beans had simple flavors like strawberry or lemon. Simple flavors like that. She did not think the jelly beans would have extreme flavors that she could not imagine

"Woild you like some?" Mariela asked as she opened the box od jelly beans and faced the opening to Tomás so he could get some if he wanted to get some.

~Unknown

Would you like some?
"Sure. Thank you" Tomas took a few of the jellybeans and slowly placed one in his mouth. The moment it hit his tongue a strange taste began to emerge. It was a mix between chocolate and strawberry although the jellybean was a yellowish colour. It was pretty cool.

The young boys' face became a pout while his eyes became wide. A face that was a mix of confusion and curiousity. "Hmm these are nice. Try one and see what flavours you get." The weather started to become better now; the sun shining through the parting grey clouds and reflecting off the drops of rain on the window pane. Birds were flying in the sky and there was fields of Tulip covered highland outside.

He tried another and smiled this time. "Caramel..." he said happily before chewing on the jellybeans happily. "The weather got better too." The train drove on towards the station where the students where get a boat to Hogwarts castle and attend the feast in the grand dining hall. That was yet to come though as the train had yet to arrive. They still had time to relax and discuss what Hogwarts could be like.

Mariela giggled and smiled. She excitedly took a random jelly bean. The jelly bean that she got was a pale yellow color. Pale yellow was Mariela's favorite color as it brought back good memories. She put the jelly bean in her mouth and looked up at the ceiling of the train thoughtfully.

"Hmm..." she thought. " I know I have tried this flavor before... I just do not remember where or what it was that tasted like this... But it tastes good anyway." She said this with a smile.

Mariela smiled and looked out the window as Tomás mentioned the weather. She nodded before looking back at Tomás. "It did... The flowers out there are beautiful..." she said with a smile as she looked out the window at the fields of flowers. She looked outside for a bit more before turning her attention back to Tomás as he said he got a caramel flavored jelly bean.

Mariela got another jelly bean. It was a lavender color with white spots around it. She chewed it for only a few short seconds before her eyes became wide and she looked around in panic. She quickly put down the bag of jelly beans and looked in her bag for a cloth or paper towel. She soon found one and spit out the jelly bean. She also took some sips of water. 

"Oh- oh my... th- that w- w- was... h- hot," she said as she took sips of water. Her tongue was on fire. She couldn't handle spicy foods well. Her nose and her cheeks were a little red.

~Unknown