Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in

The Start of Something New

Riley was practically jumping up and down in joy, eager to get onto the Hogwarts Express and finally start her wizarding education. She'd been waiting her whole life for this moment, and it was finally here! Her mind was racing as to which house she would be placed into, what kinds of friends she would make, and how she would do in classes. She was so distracted that she didn't even notice the woman she was getting a little too close too.

"Watch out!" her mother scolded a little too late, pulling her closer to herself and smiling apologetically at parent who Riley had just bumped into. "You've got to be more careful Riley and pay more attention to your surroundings."

"Sorry, ma," Riley said chastised. "I'm just so excited to finally be attending Hogwarts! I finally get to properly use magic!"

"Don't worry Riles," Devin said with a grin, ruffling her hair. "Remember when we sent Luke off for the first time? Merlin, was that a mess or what?"

"Aw, shut up," Luke said, giving Devin a light shove though he had a grin on his face as well. "As if you were any better." He turned to Riley and whispered, "He was practically screaming and crying his head off."

Her father sighed loudly, placing his hand on Riley's shoulder, "What did we do to get children like you?"

"Pretty sure you brought this onto yourself, pa," she said with a grin, leaning into him.

Soon, he was wrapping his arms around her and whispering, "Yeah, we did raise some pretty bad troublemakers, didn't we? I'm placing all the blame on your mom."

"Thanks for that," her mom said with a laugh. "Come on, hand her over. I want to hug my little girl before she leaves." Her mom leaned over and pulled her in tight. "You're gonna do great, honey. I love you so much."

"What, no goodbye hug for me?" Luke said, pretending to be hurt. When her mom gave him a look, he smiled and said, "Love you too, ma."

"Come over here," her father said, pulling him in and giving him a kiss on the forehead. "I've got you don't worry."

"I've got you too," Devin said, reaching over to hug him before Luke pushed him away.

Suddenly, the whistle on the train blew, and they knew it was time to start heading. Riley's mom quickly went and hugged Luke and said, "Try not to pull Riley into too much trouble, alright?"

Luke laughed and said, "I'm pretty sure she can get into trouble on her own."

"Alright kids, time to get going," her father said, helping Riley pick up her bags. He stopped at the entrance to the train and gave her one last kiss on the forehead. "Knock them dead, Riles."

Riley grinned and gave a nod before picking up her bags and following Luke onto the train.

"You wanna sit with me and my friends?" Luke offered, knowing how scary it was to be on the train alone. However, Riley shook her head.

"I love you, but not that much," she said, scrunching her face up in mock disgust. Luke laughed and she smiled. "Besides, I want to make some of my own friends."

"Aw, look at you. Already acting so grown up," he teased, before growing serious again. "I'm proud of you. Come find me if you need anything, alright? I'll be in Compartment 34."

He tousled her hair one last time before heading down the hallway of the train. Riley shook her head in an attempt to sort her hair out a bit before turning the other direction to search for somewhere to sit.