Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in

One Last Smile  Solo   Finished 

1st of September.

It was a beautiful day when Amber was woken up by the rays of sunlight which found their way through her pastel pink curtains.

Yawning widely, she glanced at the alarm clock next to her bed.

9:00 am.

She quickly got dressed - black skinny jeans and her favourite olive green shirt which emphasised her forest green eyes - and made her way downstairs.

Humming happily, the girl went into the kitchen only to find her grandmother and her brother Lucas already sitting at the dining table, eating breakfast.

Amber gulped down the lump in her throat as she tried to push the fact that her parents wouldn’t be there to see her off (since they had already left for work earlier that day) away.

Completely lost in thoughts, she slumped onto her chair and smiled thankfully as her grandma offered her a piece of grandmother’s famous self-made cake.

“Thank you”, Amber mumbled as she took a bite. “It’s delicious.”

The woman grinned gladly back at her.

After they had finished eating, Amber went upstairs again to put some final things into her brown trunk before heaving it down the stairs.

“Are you ready?”, her grandmother asked while putting on a light coat.

“Almost”, Amber panted and sped upstairs again to quickly grab her wand which still lay on her desk. She carefully stuffed it into a small bag which she had flung over her shoulder. Now I’m ready.”

The three of them - Amber, Lucas and her grandmother - got into the car and drove off to King’s Cross Station.

As they got closer and closer, Amber felt pure excitement slowly rise up inside of her.

Time passed quickly and soon they were standing between platforms 9 and 10.

“Amber, honey, are you sure that the train leaves at platform 9¾?” Her grandmother looked at her sceptically.

The young girl stared at her ticket. “Yes, it’s clearly stated here.”

“But where is it then?”, the woman asked with a puzzled look on her face.

Then it hit Amber. “Oh, I know!”, she exclaimed. “I’ve read about it in one of my school books... Let me think... Yes, it should be over there...”, she mumbled more to herself.

She guided the others towards the barrier between the two platforms and said: “We need to go through here.”

“What? Through the solid wall? Are you sure?” The woman widely opened her eyes, clearly shocked. “I don’t know if that’s such a good idea...”

But Amber couldn’t be argued out of this anymore. “Let’s do it. Follow me.”

Without them being able to stop her, she tightly grabbed the handle of her trolley and ran straightly towards the wall.

However, a few moments later she had already changed her mind.

“Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all...”, she thought, but it was too late.

Amber shut her eyes very tightly and expected a loud crash, but... nothing happened.

Slowly, Amber opened her eyes again and gasped.

Before her lay a platform, buzzing with people in weird robes and pointed hats. Wizards.
Steam from the scarlet red train, which said “Hogwarts Express” at the front, as well as loud chatter filled the air around them.

Behind her, she saw her family staring unbelievingly at what lay in front of them, as well. She smiled proudly. They seemed to have made it through the barrier, too.

“Come with me”, she said and took her little brother by the hand, whose other hand already held tightly onto his grandmother.

Pulling them after her, she lead them through the crowd until she reached a waggon at the far back of the train where less people surrounded them.

With a little help from the conductor she heaved her trunk onto the train before returning to her family.

The young girl shot a short glance at the clock. 10:55 am.

“Time to say goodbye”, she sighed before hugging her brother tightly.

“You will be a good boy, alright?” She looked at him seriously and kissed him on the forehead. “See you at Christmas.”

Then it was her turn to take her grandmother into her arms. A single tear escaped her eye.

“Goodbye grandma, thank you for believing in all of this”, she smiled sadly.

“I’m sure your parents will too... It will take some time, but they will”, the woman whispered into her ear.

That was the moment when Amber burst into tears. “I love you”, she sobbed.

“I love you too, sweetie”, her grandmother responded kindly and kissed her on the cheek. “Now go.”

Amber let go of her and wiped away the tears. Then she turned around and climbed up the stairs onto the train, just in time to hear a whistle being blown, announcing the train’s departure. A hiss filled the platform as the train started to move.

The young girl and the other students leaned out of the windows and waved at their families, and they waved back.

One last smile, one last wave, one last kiss being blown and then they had vanished out of sight as the train left the platform. 

*ೃ༄
happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light ♡