Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in
  Back

Ragged Things  PV November Morsus   Closed 

Green's eyes went wide at November's refusal, jaw jutting out. "Can't?" he demanded. "What do you mean, can't? What are you, hexed? Just unwrap it and stick it in your mouth!" he huffed, slapping November's hand with a soft, stingless swipe. "I am using it, you dummy, by giving it to you! Don't deny me that pleasure," he huffed, shaking his head, pressing November's lollipopped hand back up to his pocket.

The cart lady put their things in a bag and gently left it on the floor, staring at the two with some apprehension. "You know what, dears? The other half of it's on the house. I'll just... leave you to whatever this is," she gestured, cart wheels rapidly squeaking away. Green's eyes remained trained on November.

"You will eat it," he insisted, pressing the lollipop more gently into his pocket again. He blinked. "Oh, but the colors? Yes, that's another good question," Green said, quickly distracted. "I think they must. Had one which tasted like pepper, once, not too bad at all, and then the next of the same shade tasted like asphalt." Green hoped November wouldn't ask how he knew what asphalt tasted like; the memory was an unpleasant one. "Some people swear that there's a subtle difference in each one, some hint that an expert could detect, but who knows? The only way to find out is to try it," he gestured at the bean. "I imagine that one we could split, if you don't mind using a fingernail. It'll be toothpaste or barber pole, I expect..."

"Touch me, Midas; make me part of your design."
Encyclopedia Entry (and further history.)
Strength: 1; Agility: 12; Control: 10; Stamina: 7

"N-no, really," November squeaked, immediately bowled over by the force of the smaller boy's insistence, "I-... I would much rather you have it... You had such a clever idea, Green, I want-... Want to see if it works-...." He shook his head rapidly, immediately shoving the lollipop back into Green's hands, desperate, nearly as insistent as Green was.

However, as he realized the poor cart lady was witnessing them reverse-fighting over a lolly like five year olds on opposite day, he went pale, then bright red. "I-... Uh-... I'm sorry-... We-... He-... I-....." he let his stammers trail off as he realized he actually had no idea what in the heck they were doing. Slowly, he began to make a noise like a deflating balloon, his frame shrinking in a similar matter.

"Oh, I-.... I suppose that leaves a bit of mystery to the beans then, doesn't it," he mumbled, yearning for a place to hide himself away forever, "if some of the flavours are the same colours as the other ones.... I guess.... It's sort of like a game then, isn't it? Could try and guess the flavour before you eat it..." His hands had wound themselves around each other, as if they were huddling together in fright.

And it's a strange breed, a different kind of creature looks for love through the eye of a needle

Strength: 6 | Agility: 10 | Control: 10 | Stamina: 4

Green narrowed his eyes as November began cowering again, looking him over as if he had leaned up against a painted fence and was trying to brush the stains off. "Come," he said, taking November's elbow gently in his hand, tugging him into a compartment. "Never mind the woman, she's just trying to avoid being held responsible if I shove this somewhere unpleasant," he said, tapping on the lolly and grinning at November nastily.

The instant they were alone in the compartment, the smile brightened, turning carefree as Green gently pushed November onto a seat, unfolded the little dining tray in front of him to put the bag down. He immediately plopped down in the seat opposite, legs swinging. "It does," he confirmed, leaning his elbows on the table, beaming. "And I love a mystery, don't you? And a good game," he grinned, eyebrows rising.

"Tell you what, why don't we make even more of a game of it? Are you a betting man, November?" he asked, taking out the bag of beans and laying some across the table. "How about this: we mix betting about flavors with a game of truth or dare. Each time we try a bean, we guess whether it'll be pleasant or unpleasant. If I guess correctly, it's your turn; if you do, it's mine. If it's a tie, we both go. We each get three passes, and none of the dares involve things that leave this room," he suggested, gesturing with his sharp, elegant fingers. "How does that sound?"

"I-... Ah-...." November mumbled helplessly as he allowed the much-tinier Green to puppet him around the train all willy-nilly. He could easily have overpowered the lad; in a contest of sheer strength he could probably snap Green like a twig over one knee. But somehow, that made him even more reticent to make a move against him, as if Green were made of glass, and even an ounce of resistance would shatter him.

So he let Green drag him into a compartment, settle him into the soft navy seats of the train. He sat perched on its edge however, still flighty and wracked with nerves.

"Oh, would you like to play a game with the beans?" He smiled then, cutting through his anxious demeanour like sunshine through rainclouds. "I think I'd like that quite a lot... Maybe we could even play for the lollipop!" he beamed further as he thought up the idea. "Whoever wins gets to keep it. It's more fair that way, don't you think?" His conscience was certainly eased by this, it would feel an awful lot less like he was robbing Green of a golden opportunity if he had to win it fair and square.

And it's a strange breed, a different kind of creature looks for love through the eye of a needle

Green lit up like Christmas at that, eyes shining, leaning forward with anticipation. "I think you have yourself a deal, November," he grinned, taking candies from the bag. Licking his lips, he opened one of his chocolate skeletons, emptying it out onto a napkin he laid across the tray and carefully arranging the arms, legs, and ribs. "This little fellow will help us count, I think; each round you win nets you a bone. We'll count at the end."

Licking his lips, Green stood the beans up carefully in their little pouch on the table. With a wiggled f his fingers, he slipped two digits in and produced a bean of purplish color, then laid it out carefully between them. "Alright, we have our first contestant. Hard to imagine this one not being tasty - is it blueberry? Grape?" he shrugged, looking at it carefully. "Or are we about to learn what a black eye tastes like? Nnr, or lavender. Smells pretty, but the soaps it comes in aren't too terribly tasty," he wrinkled his nose, small body recoiling at the thought.

Green looked up at November. "I'm going to bet... pleasant," he decided. "What about you? Oh, and we'll need a knife or something to split the bean," he tisked in sudden realization, looking about.

"Oh! That's a clever idea," November said, beaming, the expression radiant on his normally morose face, transforming it utterly. "I think perhaps it would also be fun to play truth or dare, though. So maybe we could do both, or, one after the other." he smiled. He liked Green's ideas, and wanted the other boy to know it. He admired the chocolate skeleton delightedly; he loved bones, and the thought that there were candies shaped like them in the world, well, that just warmed his black little heart.

"Oh, that does look rather tasty," November purred, looking at the tiny purple bean. "It could be grape, yes, but perhaps it's also an aubergine. I like aubergine well enough, especially roasted in the oven. Do you?"

The request for the knife made him pale for a moment, get very nervous, before suddenly brushing it off with a chuckle. "Oh, I have a, um, small paring knife, that I use for slicing, fruit..." Yes. Fruit. That was totally believable. Drawing it from his pocket, he unfolded it, carefully held it over the bean. "So, um, yes, I think I'll bet aubergine... Let's see...." One swift, far-too-practiced slice, and the bean flopped in two.

"Yes, I like that idea; winner gets to choose who goes first, shall we say?" Green suggested, looking the bean over carefully. He sighed, sat up, and met November's eyes with a smirk. Not so shrinking now, was he? Green thought he liked this side of the boy.

"Don't be embarrassed of keeping a knife; it's a fine thing to have," Green said as he watched November slice, taking his half and turning it over in his fingers curiously. "Good for utility and protection. And anyone who doesn't want you to be able to defend yourself isn't really your friend, are they? Are they, November?" he asked slowly, enunciating each word as he leaned closer, closer. There were undertones there, unspoken whispers. And I am your friend, aren't I, November? We two will be friends? Knives or no?

Green blinked and the look vanished as he licked his lips, popped his half of the bean in, and chewed. Immediately, his face scrunched up. "Glurf! What is this? Sweet yes, but pungent, sort of... earthy? Roots?" he screwed his eyes up at the ceiling. "Oh. Goodness. Hydrangea root, I suspect. Well, god, that is specific," he murmured, shaking his head. "What does that even count as, pleasant or unpleasant?

"Yes, I think that sounds lovely...." November grinned, his legs swinging back and forth on the seat, his slender body far more relaxed now than it had been before.

"You, really think so?" he blushed a bit, clutched the knife tighter in his hands. "I-... Most people always say that children aren't to have knives, that it's not proper, or safe..." He pulled it closer to him again, folding it and gripping it tight, protective. "But I rather like them, like you said, it's, better to have than to not...." His cheeks were just getting pinker and pinker the longer Green looked at him that way...

He shook it off just as Green did, his attention turned by the other back to the bean. He lifted it and very delicately flicked his tongue against it. "Oh! It is hydrangea root!" His face lit up like nothing before. "I know this one, it's good for getting rid of kidney stones! Although... As for the taste... I suppose I think it's rather pleasant, but, really, it's up to personal taste, isn't it?" He scratched his head, wondering how easy this game would be with something as subjective as flavours. "It's not aubergine, though, so I suppose you win this round."

"Naturally," Green breathed, nodding towards the knife. "They want us to be weak. No - need us to be. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to control us, would they?" Green raised an eyebrow, tilting his head. "Even if it's to protect us, they won't recognize that we can learn to wield power with just as much skill as they. And then when we really do need them, when our own power won't suffice, they're not there. So what are we to believe, hmm?" he huffed. "It's the same with the trace. If they could, they'd have it on us our whole lives. 17 years is just all they can track..."

Green's eyebrows went up. "Kidney stones, really? It seems you know your herbs. Useful fellow, aren't you?" he gave him a crooked smile. "I should keep you around. And maybe a more fitting game would be, conventional or unconventional? With fruit flavors and dessert foods being conventional, and everything else being unconventional, like aubergine. Which hydrangea root is, really, so you'd win the round," he gestured, taking out another bean. This one was mottled blue with an almost whitish glaze that looked vaguely velvety.

Green peered at the new bean, analyzing. "I'm going to bet, conventional," he hummed. "Oh, and you get to pick a bone, and decide if you'd like me to go first... if you do, I'll take truth," he nodded at him.

November's eyes went wide as Green spoke, his body stilling as he took in the words. He was right, there was simply no getting around it. It seemed everything adults did in his life was both to punish him for enjoying himself, and to make sure he had no agency of his own in order to pursue anything like that happiness he craved. And here was Green laying it out so plainly for him, so it was clear, he wasn't the only one.

After that, it was all too easy to see. They were just trying to control him, really. And November was not easy to control.

His pensive expression vanished in an instant, however, at Green's awed compliments. "Oh, no, it's nothing special, really," he insisted, blushing brightly, "I just like to read about them in my spare time, and I'd often help the other children with their ailments..." he shrank then, like a violet.

"I think that's a good way of judging flavours," November said, "though I suppose there are a lot more unconventional ones than conventional..." A soft chuckle. "Maybe we could also go by, if it's a common food item, or something that's not food at all...." He took a bone with delicate fingers, a tiny chocolate clavicle. He thought that might be his favourite bone in the human body; it looked so pretty under the skin. "Oh, yes, um, truth or-... Well, you've already decided then, haven't you? I guess this means I've got to pick a question..." he stroked his chin a bit, before his eyes lit up with his question.

"Do you have a knife?"

"Quite impressive again," purred Green, looking November up and down. "Where ever you came from, you made sure to be useful there, didn't you? I wonder if you're any good with stomach ailments," he murmured, suddenly smaller somehow, his gaze uncertain; but he quickly blinked it away, rolling a shoulder and tossing shoulder-length curls back.

"In any case, that's a good question with a sad answer: No, I don't have one on me," he sighed. "My father informed me that we would be issued knives for cutting potions ingredients during the lessons themselves, but otherwise, they are frowned upon. And father would do anything not to be frowned upon," he rolled his eyes, sighing and shaking his head. "Honestly, they're only lips, they're not going to kill you. I suppose it has been bad for business, though," he sighed, tracing morose shapes on the table with a fingertip.

"But in any case, I think that's a fine idea," he nodded at November, humming. "After all, nearly any flavor that's meant to be eaten goes with sweet. I mean, I don't prefer the saltier flavors with it," he admitted with a shrug, "But at least chicken is better than, say, frog skin. Though again, that is something of an assumption," he murmured, tilting his head. "In any case, you chose unconventional last time, so I'll take that this time, I suppose."

"I just, you know... I liked it. It was, fun." November spoke softly, blushing a little, as if he expected mockery for his choice in hobbies. He didn't even notice Green's own discomfort, waiting for the blowback the way he was. "I mean, I rather had to make myself useful there, seeing as there weren't really very many adults around to do things for us..." He sighed.

"Oh-..." A rather sympathetic look crossed his face at that. "Well, should you need one, you could perhaps borrow mine, if you'd like." He had plenty more where that came from. Plenty. "I mean, I shouldn't like it if you were caught without a knife when you needed to," a billion dreadful images flashed before his eyes, "...Slice jelly beans."

"But in any case, yes..." He pulled a tiny white bean out of the bag, turned it in his fingers. "I think perhaps this one is... Marshmallow," he said, peering at it, "I do hope I'm right. I rather like marshmallows...." Placing it on the table, he nipped it neatly in two with his knife. "Any guesses on your end? I mean, you chose unconventional, and there's lots of white things in the world that aren't food..."

"Really?" Green leaned forward, interested. "You found it fun? So if you had the opportunity to do it again, that's something you would enjoy, you're saying?" he asked, head tilting, studying the blush, the justification. "That if, say, I got a scraped knee, or caught a cold, I might, mm. Ask your advice, come to you for a bandage or something of that sort?" his fingers twisted, gaze unblinking.

Green grinned at that, 'slice jellybeans.' "Lets hope the majority of the jellybeans behave themselves, mm?" he chuckled, reaching out to take his half, turn it over in his fingertips. "Awfully kind of you, though. I may take you up on it. You never know when you'll need something of that sort. Do you have many, or would I be depriving you?" he hummed, looking November over. Honestly, the boy himself was more interesting than the beans. But that was why he had spent a galleon on him. A galleon was a good price for a friend, particularly a useful one.

His eyelids sank for a moment, contemplating. Mind, that galleon didn't ensure anything. Would the boy really be there for him, if he needed something that wasn't convenient or amusing? Would he end up giving a damn?

Green's gaze fell to the bean. "I'm going to guess it's something like cream of mushroom soup," he suggested. "Or bones."

"I, um, yeeees?" November shrank a little bit, nervous at the sudden, hawklike way Green had latched onto his words. "Why, why do you ask?" Was he going to make fun of him? Get him in trouble? He thought, maybe, that Green was past that, that he wasn't like that, like the others. His continued line of questioning brought a bright flush to November's cheeks, and he raised a hand to his lips, gently chewed on his knuckles.

"I, um, I have got, enough knives," he mumbled, though that was a bit of a misnomer. There were never enough knives. Certainly enough to lend one, though, especially to a boy who'd been as good to him as Green had been. he still couldn't quite conceive of the fact that he had just spent a whole galleon. On him.

"Well, here goes," November said, picking up the bean and peering at it again one more time before dropping it on his tongue. He chewed, contemplative, for a moment, before his long face slowly fell into a look of faintly pained betrayal. "...Laundry soap," he said at last. "I suppose that means you win this round, for it's not a conventional flavour, or even a food at all..."

Green blushed, looked away. "Well," he admitted. "I've got a bit of a... sensitive, digestive system," he admitted. "And I'm often getting sick. Frankly, I could use the help," he said gently, still flushed, looking down. He swallowed, eyes flickering to November. "I also don't like to bring my business to school authorities, so you'd be the natural choice. Is that something you might be interested in helping with?" His fingers tapped nervously as he waited for November's answer.

"Quite kind of you to lend me," Green brightened, popping his half of the bean and chewing. "Not everyone would lend something so important as a... mmnn... hmm," his brow furrowed as he chewed, "Yes, I think it is soap. That is... strange. Still, not entirely unpleasant," he granted, tilted his head towards the package as if in deference to its wisdom. "That's the thing about Bertie Bott's, you learn the strangest things about unconventional flavors... but in any case, yes, it is my win, isn't it?" he preened, fingers wriggling over the little chocolate bones. "I think I'll take the mandible. That's something I love about Chocolate Skeletons, they give you a separate mandible when so many others make the skull one piece," he purred, turning it over in his hands admiringly. "You can even see the little teeth. But in any case, truth or dare?" he dared, grinning at November. From the package, he pulled another bean, this one bright purple and green in iridescent shades.

Back