Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in
  Back

Ragged Things  PV November Morsus   Closed 

"I would think you'd miss the train, and then you'll be stuck all the way out here with no way to get to school," November pondered, then shuddered, "Maybe you'd get sent away and not get to attend school at all." He couldn't imagine a worse fate. "I'm very, very glad we're not late," he muttered, voice almost inaudible, and squeezed Green's hand.

"Yes!" November cried, far more delighted once Green had confirmed that yes, they were, in fact, friends. "We've both already made a friend, and I'm really very glad that it was you...." He beamed, then blushed, looked away. "I suppose you're right about family," he said with a sigh, "I always, thought it'd be nicer than just, whoever was around, though. I mean, that's the way it was in St. Romuald's, and that wasn't very nice at all...." Another of his trademark long, sad sighs. "I suppose, in that case, friends are much, much better..."

He blushed when Green mentioned the lack of mandatory touching when it came to friends, realizing that this meant that the other boy had very much wanted to touch him all the times they had so far, which was really quite a lot in the short time they'd known each other. "Um, yes...."

And it's a strange breed, a different kind of creature looks for love through the eye of a needle

Strength: 6 | Agility: 10 | Control: 10 | Stamina: 4

Green flinched a little as November cried out his enthusiasm, looking him up and down with some alarm as November exulted in their friendship. He looked for a moment almost as if he expected that the larger boy might eat him; but seeing this was not the case, he slowly relaxed, smiled at November lopsidedly. "Well, this is certainly nice," he pointed out. Sobered. "But then, you're right, institutions aren't much fun. Being shoved in where ever they put you, wondering if anything they say is really true, if anybody cares, if anybody is ever really coming to adopt you at all," he sighed, looking away. Blinked.

Pus bags.

"I mean... not that I've been in one!" he amended quickly, perhaps a bit too abruptly to be entirely convincing. "I've just got a friend who was, that's all. He said it was simply awful," he shook his head, squeezing November's hand tighter, heedless of the fact that they were in public, that it probably looked strange, that this was not at all what he did with friends in general. His grip almost hurt. "I just wanted you to know that I sympathize, that's all. And not to worry about not having any official nonsense - we're all related some ways back, so that's all just made up anyway," he waved a hand in the air.

"Touch me, Midas; make me part of your design."
Encyclopedia Entry (and further history.)
Strength: 1; Agility: 12; Control: 10; Stamina: 7

Once he spotted Green's fear, November immediately shrank, the enthusiasm that had come on so strongly vanishing almost instantly, as if into a puff of smoke. "I-...." he began, but then realized he wasn't quite sure where to go on from there, and so just shut his mouth, and shrank even further.

His expression fell further as Green began to talk about orphanages, speak in great detail about the loneliness of living in one, of the uncertainty that lay therein. "That-... Really does sound dreadful, yes," November mumbled, "I mean, I always knew that no one would want me, so, I never really wondered whether or not anyone would come for me. But, it must be hard to have that hope, and never see it realized...." One hand closed around his heart, as if to hold back the dam on the raging torrent of emotion inside of him.

"But, um, the train's here, so I suppose we should just, get on," November said as the piercing whistle of the steam locomotive rent the air, calling the students aboard. The last of the weepy goodbyes came to a close, and November just, gripped Green's hand tight and his bag in the other, and plunged onward into the depths.

And it's a strange breed, a different kind of creature looks for love through the eye of a needle

"Hope be damned!" snapped Green suddenly, looking up at November in anger. "Why wouldn't anybody want you?!" It wasn't spoken like a question. It was declared, like a statement of fact. He squeezed November's hand crushingly tight for such a young boy, marching onto the train. "Idiots just never thought to show up, that's all. Expecting family to fall from trees, instead of going out and finding children for themselves. I mean, honestly, how many visitors did you see in yours?" he demanded, huffing as he grabbed his bag and jerked towards him, practically falling off as one of the wheels got stuck in the gap. He growled out his frustration, shaking and rattling it as he tried to dislodge the thing.

"People are just blind," he snapped, madder and madder by the second. "They think that everything in this world has to be given to you to mean something, and so they forget to take. They forget to make things happen," he huffed, face red, pushing and pulling hard. Slumping briefly against the train wall, he panted, staring at the bag. "Oh, shit," he said as the whistle blew, looking up at it in terror. "Not going to make it, am I?"

And once again, November was frozen in utter shock at Green's explosion of furious temper. Why was he so mad, over the fact that nobody wanted November? November himself had just taken it for another solid pillar of reality: The sun rose in the east every morning, the sky was bright blue, two and two added up to four, and nobody wanted a boy like Miserable Morsus. That's just the way things were.

Or maybe... Maybe this wasn't about November himself being unwanted. Green *had* been so very quick to deny that he had ever been in one himself... But hadn't he said that he came from a prestigious family? And no matter how he insisted that November just claim family prestige, he didn't think it was really as easy as he said it was.

But he'd been so deep in thought, he almost failed to spot Green struggling with his bag, which was stuck fast. "Oh-!" he yelped as he sped into action, narrowing his eyes at the bag, and rushing it hard to dislodge it, rushing it as if it had been-.... He cut the thought off hard in his mind. No more thinking of that event anymore.

Green gasped as November barreled into the bag with murderous force, causing it to fly forward, the wheel stuck between the platform and the train snapping off to fall beneath both, lost forever. "Bat spit," Green murmured as the train door slid closed, the locomotive beginning to puff into motion. "Well, I guess it's a tilt and roll now. You alright?" he asked, turning towards November.

Green stiffened in alarm as he heard the soft sound of wheels rolling down the aisle, reaching out to Grab November's shoulder protectively. The soft, rhythmic sound of squeak-squeak, squeak-squeak rolling along on the muffling red carpet came closer and closer, followed by footsteps, neat and heavy and inevitable. Too late to go forward. Nowhere to go back. A moment of impossible, irrational terror swept over Green, and he gripped November tightly as he tried to squeeze against one wall.

A little old lady with a cart full of treats wheeled on by, low-heeled shoes thumping against the carpet, bespectacled eyes boggling at the two boys. "Best get to your cabins, then," she said gently. "Were you wanting anything?"

Green stared back at her, terrified. He looked at November. "Well? Were you wanting anything? My treat."

"We did it..." November breathed in heavy relief as the suitcase came loose, dumping the two of them into the train proper. He was worried Green would get stuck there, lose all of his things, or... Worse.... However, their victory was not without cost. November sighed as he looked at yet another empty place where a wheel belonged. "I-... I'll get you, another, new one..." He promised, brows drooping in despair.

the despair quickly turned to terror, mirroring Green's own as he heard the footsteps. Were they too late? Would they be punished? Why was Green so frightened? it had to be that whoever was coming had ill intent... But they'd only just gotten there, hadn't even done anything....

And then it was only a little old woman with a small push-cart that was simply bursting with all manner of strange confectionery. "Oh-..." He gasped, eyes wide. He'd hardly ever even seen a cake or candy that he hadn't made himself, let alone these brilliant magical concoctions! Then Green offered to buy him some, and he was downright overcome. "R-really? Oh, I couldn't, I don't want to put you to any trouble-..." Despite his hesitant words, his eyes told the real story, wide as they stared at the treats with pure longing.

"Trouble my foot, you're damn well going to eat it or I'll shove it down your throat!" Green huffed at November, leaning in towards him threateningly.

"Young man!" gasped the woman, pressing a hand to her chest in shock. "Language!"

Green pressed his lips together, immediately contrite. "Sorry, Ma'am," he said mildly. "It's a tough love approach. Now if we're spending a galleon a piece, what could that get us...?"

"Oh, goodness, quite a bit, even between you and your friend. You could probably get a bit of everything and still have some change left over," she remarked, looking down at the cart. "We do have a few things new on the cart this year, along with the classics. You've got your standard pumpkin juice, of course. Chocolate frogs, too, despite the stains they leave all over the seats on hot days," she sighed, shaking her head. "A veritable menagerie of other confectionary creatures, too: cockroach clusters, jelly slugs, fudge flies, jelly slugs..."

"Is there any particular reason they're all named after creatures that are considered slimy or foul?" Green asked, face squinched up.

"Oh, goodness knows," sighed the woman, waving a hand. "A few genuinely entomophagous choices, if that's your fancy - sugared butterfly wings and fizzing whizbees. That'll make you hit your head on the ceiling, though, so do be careful," she sighed. "And of course, we've got acid pops this time, if you don't mind things a bit sour. Skeletal sweets and chocolate skeletons," she added, peering under the cart. "Oh, and some charm chocs. What would you like, dears?"

Green turned to November, gesturing for him to pick first.

November, meanwhile, had become so utterly overwhelmed he had essentially bluescreened. His eyes were wide and staring as the kindly old woman trotted out treats beyond his wildest imagination, and Green was offering, no, insisting on pain of death that he purchase an amount of them he could only think of as ludicrous. He very nearly began weeping on the spot, but managed to catch himself simply out of desire not to make the nice cart lady unduly concerned for him.

"I-...." At last, he began to resume control of his faculties, haltingly, carefully, "I'm rather fond of... Pumpkin.... Might I have one of those lovely pumpkin pasties?" he pointed, still hesitant, still thinking the answer must be no somewhere along the line. "They, look really beautiful...." The licorice wands also managed to catch his eye, and oh, how he did love licorice! "You-... You really mean that?" he asked, turning to Green, "a whole galleon, just for us? Really?" It was downright incomprehensible; he'd barely had two galleons to scrape together when he was buying his supplies, and even that was only thanks to the endless generosity of the teachers that had helped him shop for his supplies.

"Certainly," Green nodded to November, confident. "I got my books secondhand, so I had some to spare. My father simply never got rid of his, and it seem the curriculum hasn't changed in, oh, a century I suppose," he rolled his eyes, the generosity of his elders apparently having inspired little in the way of gratitude. "And if you get a lot of candies, I have the excuse to do so, too. I'll have some chocolate skeletons," he said to the woman, pointing, "Choco charms, a handful of every-flavor beans... I suppose a pastry will do for lunch... an acid pop..."

"If you're going to take one of those, take a soothing sweet, too," advised the woman. "For after. Can't have you getting to the ceremony with a hole in your tongue."

"Right," agreed Green, plucking these from the little cannister they were housed in. "Oh - is that a blood pop?" he asked, taking out a bright red lolli.

"Oh, dear," the woman tisked. "That must have gotten mixed in with the rest.... You won't be wanting that one, dear, they're really for vampires," she warned.

"Vampires, nonsense," said Green, tucking it away. "If it's for the same as the acid pops, I'll take it. That, and a handful of fizzing whizbees, if you please," he said, handing her his galleon as she packaged up his things. He handed the remaining one to November. "Really, go wild," he invited.

"I.... I would also like one of those blood pops," November mumbled, barely audible, looking quite a bit sheepish and guilty as he voiced his desires. Then, a bit louder this time. "I-... I would also very much like some licorice wands... And the pumpkin juice, too.... And-... And a cauldron cake... And-...." he could scarcely believe the words coming out of his mouth, and had to keep pausing, looking to Green, as if to ask him for reassurance that yes, this was in fact possible, he could in fact do this, it was not a trap waiting to snap shut around his neck.

"Oh, I don't know, it all looks so beautiful, and I'm sure it all tastes so very delicious," November sighed, looking over the cart again. "i suppose I could also use some chocolates.... Green, would you like to eat one of those big chocoballs with me?" He beamed, pointed it out. The thought that he could actually eat the whole thing himself, eat several of them himself without even scratching the surface on his funds, made his mind boggle. "I mean, I suppose you'd want your own," he said after a while of pondering this.

The old woman blinked. "Oh - I'm afraid there was only the one blood pop, dear. And we really weren't meant to be carrying any at all," she clarified. Paused. "And I should add that they're only blood flavored, if it makes any difference - they're typically for vampires, so it doesn't make much sense to stock them during the day."

"No worries, November," said Green, handing him his blood pop. "You can have mine. I was just going to try to dissolve it in somebody's soup, anyway." Or trade it to a vampire for something, but how many vampires were actually admitted to Hogwarts? Green had no idea. "And of course I'll split the chocoball with you - you take a hemisphere, I'll take a hemisphere. I was planning to share the beans with you, anyway," he grinned wickedly, analyzing November's expression. "I wonder if you've got much experience with Bertie Bott's All Flavor Beans... they can be exciting, as far as candy goes. And I like the occasional sausage flavored one," he rubbed his chin. "A bit sugary, sure, but the flavor's otherwise spot on. Even onion can be pleasant. It's just things like engine grease and toenail fungus you want to avoid. Safe, but unpleasant," he wrinkled his nose.

"You-... Really mean it?" November's eyes went wide again, shocked. "I-... I thought perhaps if there was only one, and we both wanted it, we could, share..." Of course, that thought summoned unbidden to his mind images of the two boys licking the same pop, which he vanished with a shake of his long dark hair. Alright, perhaps sharing wasn't the best idea, a little too close for someone he'd only just met.

"Are those anything like jelly beans?" November asked, cocking his head at the beans Green had just purchased. He'd seen jelly beans in shops once or twice before, and though he'd never been able to afford them himself, he always wondered what they could possibly be like. All those flavours, in one tiny candy bean... "Do they really come in that many flavours," he asked, incredulous, "I've never heard of a sweet that was that, adventurous, before..." He couldn't deny, the idea of sweets that tasted like, say, rare beef sounded delicious.

He looked down at his own coin, and back at the cart, and back again. "Goodness, I'm not sure what else to take," he said, voice quiet with awe, "I-... Can I save the rest for later? I don't know that I can eat all of that in one sitting without being sick..." He laughed, though it was a little nervously.

Green flushed bright pink at that, blinking at November in stunned silence for half a tick as he imagined what sharing a lollipop with this boy might look like; but then he cleared his throat, smiled, shook his head. "No, no, I insist you take the pop; I was just going to try to sell it to anyone raised by vampires in the school, anyway," he explained. "I'll admit, I am curious, but I can't imagine I'd like it as much as they would. And it'd be very difficult for anyone under Hogsmeade-trip age to get one during the school year, I suspect. Rarity plus desire equals value," Green contemplated, tucking the blood pop into November's front pocket. He grinned at him, winked.

"Yes, they're basically jelly beans," Green said, handing November a bag of them as he handed the woman his galleon. "And it does seem like an impossible number, doesn't it? I know it's some sort of magic, but I really can't say which. I would like to know," he mused, rubbing his chin. "I mean, surely that's got to be a fascinating bit of magic, random and infinite as it is. It does seem to get the good flavors quite a lot, luckily; I've always wondered if flavors of the 'old tire' variety are meant to be novel, or just some sort of flub," he squinched up his nose. "And yes, do save some! Like I said, who knows when we'll be able to go to a shop on our own again? I've got to admit, I'm not fond of that notion," he shuddered, crossing his arms. "Being trapped so far away from where everything is..."

"You mean you're just, giving it to me?" November's eyes went wide as Green tucked the lolly into his pocket. "You could really use it, and you're giving it to me?" He shook his head, grabbed it out of his pocket, and pushed it back into Green's hands. "Oh Green, I couldn't! I was just going to eat it, you can use it much better than I can..." He seemed downright horrified that Green would do such a thing. "You keep it, I'll just, get another when we get to go to town again..." An encouraging smile, but with just a trace of nerves.

"Oh, but, yes. Those beans simply must be magic, I've no idea how one would both invent and keep track of so very many flavours otherwise," he said with a chuckle, peering at them. "They must run out of colours, too. Do you think they run out of colours? I mean, some of them have spots on, and I even see one with stripes..." He chuckled. "I wonder what that one tastes like... Do you think maybe it's toothpaste?"

"Oh! yes, that's a wonderful idea, I should get some for later. I can put it in my trunk and then have some sweets for after dinner." He beamed. After dinner sweets had been the stuff of legend at St. Romuald's, a whispered tale the children told themselves, of that far-off Fiddler's Green that was being adopted. November thought the day when he'd have such luxuries of his own would never come, not ever in his life. And yet, here he was.

Back