Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in
  Back

Compartment 5 / Full  Closed 

Summary: The train for Hogwarts is departing soon, whilst some already found their seats - others are still searching. Some are familiars, acquaintances, and to the unlucky - strangers. The locomotive is leaving soon and seats have to be chosen. It might just be one of the most important choice yet.
Participants: Aileen Johnson, Reid Kovacs, Christy Blake, Kat Leeway
Last edited by Reid Kovacs on 14th February 2018, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Trouble usually finds me."
> STA. 6, EV. 8, STR. 14, WIS. 6, AP. 4, ACC. 7
> ABL: OS, TMC

He's ridden on trains before, the thunderous roar of the Hogwarts Express couldn't shake him. But what did rattle him slightly was the fact that he was leaving to a place far from home - from Derby. His hesitant posture was nothing short of fight or flight. In this case, it was the latter. The heavy hand of his father gently came down on his shoulder, shaking it ever so slightly as he turned the young wizard towards him. 

"You will be okay, there's nothing to be afraid of." His father's voice was heavy, thick in a Hungarian accent. His mother secured the rest of his belongings and turned back to the two of them, seemingly trying to hide the forlorn look on her features. "I know it was short notice Reid, but you'll like it at Hogwarts." 

The brown brows furrowed slightly, "But everything is so new." It was all so surreal, it was almost a sensory overload. This was magic, real life magic. His father gently patted his shoulder and crossed his arms across his chest. "There will always be change in your life no matter what, Reid. You have to adjust, just like me when I moved from Hungary to the United Kingdom." 

The young wizard pursed his lips, looking back towards the locomotive. He watched the kids all eagerly pile in, some chatting amongst one another. "I don't know anyone, I might never make friends" he blankly spoke. It was hard enough making friends at his normal school.

"You will, but you have to try." his mother coaxed. Reid softly inhaled, nodding as he turned back to his parents. He was then pulled into a tight hug, making his expression fold as he tried to hold his emotions back. "We love you. You will be all right, send us some letters and look out for our parcels." his father chuckled. Reid nodded and pulled away once he felt ready. How long till he saw them again? He didn't know for sure. "I'll write as much as I can."

After a few exchange of words, Reid said his last goodbye and hurried off towards the train. He noticed how some people knew one another - would he have to vie for his seat now? Either way, he found himself near compartment 5, empty as any. Lucky as he was, he slipped right in and fixed his robe. He pulled a half eaten candy bar from his robe and chewed on it, looking out the window. The amount of people on the platform made it hard for him to find his folks. But the young boy kept looking, craning his head in each and every which way. 

It was the day Aileen and her twin, Victoria, had been excited about for years yet when she entered platform 9 3/4 her face was sullen. "Don't worry. I'll come find you as soon as I can." A soft voice whispered to her. Aileen had a hard time looking up. Her blue hues met with equally blue eyes and upon the face, so very much like her own, rested sweet a smile. "Which might very well be never." Aileen grumbled. The smile faded. Oh, how Aileen despised it when her sibling looked at her with worry. Running her slender fingers through her hair, Aileen took a deep breath and forced herself to smile.

"Just look out for yourself okay? And promise you'll come find me whenever you are in need for something. And Tori..." She gripped her Victoria's arm and looked at her sternly. "I mean it. The moment something happens, the moment you feel uncomfortable or anything, find me. And if the punk treats you ba-..." 
"Oh come on, Alli. Nothing is going to happen. The Durmings are good people."
Aileen found herself interrupted by her mother and she send a glare the woman's way. It was all her fault to begin with.  The Durmings were the twin's father most loyal costumers. They have spend enough galleons at their store to earn them a real VIP treatment. Apparently being accompanied by one of the Johnson's daughters was included because two days ago her mother came with announcement. 

Of course they had picked Victoria for this special mission. Aileen wasn't nearly as charming and with her mouth, she'd probably end up insulting them before the train had even left the station. And so she watched her mother dragging her twin away with much chagrin. "She means well, you know." Aileen turned around to see her father look at her, his expression a mixture of worry, guilt and sympathy. The girl shrugged and grumbled. "Whatever helps you sleep at night."

She didn't wish to make her father feel bad, after Victoria he was her favourite person in the family after all, but she could not help herself. A sigh left lips before she gave her father a quick hug. "Don't worry about it dad! I'll be fine." 

And she was going to be! She was Aileen Johnson after all. Taking her trunk she send her father a quick smile before hurrying towards the train. Once inside she noticed just how packed the train was. The corridors were filled with students trying to find a place and Aileen turned around, about to say something when she realized Victoria wasn't with her. Tears welled up in the girl's eyes. For the first time in a very long time she was alone. Feeling defeated, the female made her way until she found an empty compartment. A small light in her seemingly dark situation, she could have the window seat. Aileen had not even realized another person occupied the compartment, the girl was too caught up in her effort to fight back the tears.  

Eventually her eyes wandered around the small room and came to stopped at the boy in front of her. Tilting her head somewhat, she rose her eyebrows. She didn't hear him come in.  Had he been here the entire time? Her eyes widened. Had he seen her almost cry? No, that's impossible. The thought repeated through her head while she spoke. 

"Who are you?"

It was easy to get lost when he was so focused on looking for his parents, but he was yanked back to reality by the sound of a voice. The young wizard's head whipped to the source, brows furrowing in slight confusion. Who was he? Who was she though!? How long has she been there this whole time? Wasn't the compartment empty. What if she's a ghost? He shouldn't jump to conclusions though, that idea was a little far fetched. 

Reid shot her an awkward and confused smile - he was still chewing on his candy, "Em Weed, Weed Kovas." Oh, his mouth was still full. The wizard sat back on his chair and forced himself to swallow the blasted sweet treat. "Reid Kovacs, sorry." he sheepishly spoke. The boy slouched in his seat and glanced out the window one more time, they were probably going to leave soon. He slightly frowned and then turned to the girl with a bewildered expression, "Wait ... were you here this whole time? I swore this was empty when I got here." The young wizard sucked on his teeth, trying to get some of the caramel stuck from the crevices. 

He should have known better than to buy a handful of candy from Mr. Benning's store, especially caramel. However, his parents insisted it would keep his nerves still. It did that just fine, but he was sure he'd need to see a dentist soon. Were there doctors and dentists at Hogwarts? Maybe this girl knew, she seemed like she knew what this world was like. 

Her nose wrinkled up as the boy spoke, his mouth filled with whatever he was eating and rolled her eyes though the corners of her lips curled in a smile. The boy seemed to be rather simple minded, too focused on his...  Her eyes shifted to what the male was holding and tilted her head ever so slightly. A candy bar of some sorts?  Whatever it was, it was half eaten and clearly keeping the boy busy.

Kovacs,  the name didn't ring any bells for the female. Not that such a thing was surprising, Aileen was horrible with names. Her gaze shifted back to the boy's face as if she hoped to see something familiar in there. She didn't. Her lips parted as she was about to question his heritage but quickly closed it again. Questioning someone she had just met did not seem like a good way to start off a conversation. Then again, she wasn't particularly looking for conversation.

"Wait... were you here this whole time? I swore this was empty when I got here."

The words pulled away from her thoughts. Her eyebrows rose and she'd blink a couple of times. Was it her that had barged in on him? "I.. No, I mean... I thought that... Maybe.."  And this time the girl was rolling her eyes at herself. Great, she had now become a stumbling mess. A soft sight left her lips while her fingers ran through her hair. "I think you were here first, is what I mean to say. Would you prefer it if I find another place to sit?" Her eyes shifted to the door. She didn't feel like walking through the crowded the corridors once again but if the boy preferred to be alone, she was not going to argue with him about it.

At least she wasn't telling him to butt out and find a different compartment. He was about to ask her the same thing. He's never recognized her before, but she did seem more put together than he was. Almost everyone in England had some sort of accent, he was trying to figure hers out. His was easy and he made no motion to hide the East Midland accent he had, Derby if she's visited. Her frustration didn't go unnoticed and he couldn't help but smile slightly. 

It faded as he shook his head as a 'no' at her question, he wasn't that shy that he couldn't stand being around another person. The young wizard crookedly beamed, "No, no. Feel free to stay, doubt I'll be making use of much of this space anyway. I'm not particular." He had a very lighthearted demeanor, although it felt more of a way to cope with his unclear discomfort. The thought of being sent somewhere far away with people he didn't know was still fresh in his mind.

He heard the footsteps in the corridor fade and the sound of compartment doors closing got closer. It must've been the conductor closing everyone's booth. If she was going to bolt, he figured that she would want to do it soon. It was a little naive of him, but he hoped others would come sit in five as well, but he wasn't going to push the idea. Reid realized he didn't even ask her name, prompting him to stop what he was doing. "Sorry, but what's your name? I should've asked." He folded the candy bar and put it back into his pocket, clearing his throat as he did his best to be attentive. 

Christy had to find the platform pretty much by herself as her parents were muggles and didn't know any better either. She was really nervous, but she eventually noticed how others got there, so she followed suit. 

She appeared on the platform and noticed the train - about to leave! "Oh, I better hurry and board, then," she thought to herself. She looked around at everyone else and boarded the train, nervously. All the cars seemed to be full until she noticed one with only two other people in it.

"He-hello... Um... D-do you guys mind if I...?" she nervously was trying to ask if she could sit in their car, but she looked at her feet and her face flushed bright red. She glanced up at the other two who seemed to also be first-years. "I'm making a fool of myself," she thought to herself before her face flushed brighter and she started to fidget with her robes.

This is gonna be fun.
Shut up, this is gonna suck.
Make some friends at Hogwarts instead of being anti-social and sitting in your room alone then. It won't be very bad if you have friends.
Sure.
The young wizard was pulled from talking to the voice in her head when her mother hugged her, smiling slightly, "Remember, make friends, try not to kill anyone, and make me proud," Her mother spoke, holding Kat in her arms.
"I'll try. I'll be sure to work harder than before,"
"Make friends, have fun, don't just worry about the work. That'll be no fun," The woman spoke, pushing Kat along gently as the train made noises, sounding as though it was getting ready to departure "You'd better go, dear. Send me an owl when you get there, I wanna know which house you get into, I'm still bettin' on Slytherin."
"Okay, mum! Well, I'm gonna try to get a compartment before the train sets off and I cant get one," With that, she set off, lugging her bags with her as she quickly clambered into the train, looking for an open compartment.
She saw the train conductor starting to close the doors to the compartments which sent a shiver of fear down her spine. She wasn't scared of the action, she was scared that once the doors were closed, the people inside wouldn't want anyone else in their compartment. 
Open one, number 5.
Thanks.
Kat hurried to the compartment, biting her lip, her nerves getting to her, "Ah, uh. Hey, I'm Kat, I was wondering if I could join you guys?' She asked, hoping they would let her.

I'm secretly a Unicorn.
Bow before me peasant.

Not one but two girls seemed to be eye-ing for the empty places in the compartment. Truth be told, Aileen wasn't too into the idea. It was bound to get loud and noisy with endless conversations going. Yet, being alone with the boy seemed rather uncomfortable too. She gestured towards the girls and then to the empty seats. "Knock yourselves out." Her gaze then moved towards the boy and smiled ever so slightly.

"Johnson. Aileen Johnson is my name." The boy had introduced himself when she asked, the least she could do was show the same courtesy. She spoke loud enough so their new companions could hear her as well. Her hues shifted to the right, her gaze focused on looking to the people on the platform. Thank god she had a window seat. This train is taking forever. If only Tori was here. If only... She stopped her thoughts right there and turned her back to the window, her gaze shifting towards her travelmates. Her twin wasn't with her and she should try to to make the best of her situation.

"So... Do you guys have any thoughts on which house you'll be sorted in? Father was a Ravenclaw, as is my older brother but Mother had spend her years in Slytherin. Personally, I'd prefer Hufflepuff. From what I've heard they are rather easy-going and Merlin knows, that's what I'm about." 

Perhaps she was rambling a bit. She probably was but she simply couldn't help herself. It was as if someone had flipped the switch and now all Aileen could do was talk. Besides, even if the girl had felt upset there was still that bit of excitement about going to Hogwarts. And if she could not share her excitement with her sister, these people will have to do. 

Reid glanced between the three girls, shaking his head slightly. "I don't mind at all, make yourselves comfortable." One of them seemed to already be uncomfortable, he didn't hold it against her though. He tried to think of it like any other ride in his life and that seemed to have calmed his nerves a bit. He wrung his wrist, listening to Aileen talk quite vigorously about the houses. Where was this Aileen Johnson earlier? Maybe being alone with a boy was too weird and this evened it out? It didn't bother him though, this was better than a quiet and awkward ride to the castle. 

"I actually don't truly know." he lightly frowned. "This might be odd to say, but I'm not even that familiar with Hogwarts or it's houses. My mum is the only one who's been to Hogwarts, I think she was a house with red as their colour." It was an honest and truthful answer, but a little truthful for him to admit. He adjusted the glasses

~ The thunderous whistle of the Hogwarts express resounded, steam billowed from the stack with fury. A few shouts came from the operators and boarding was cut off. The train began to crawl, it would be the last time they'd be able to say goodbye to their folks on the Platform.

Reid looked out of the window, squinting to look for any sign of his mother or father. Nothing as his hot breath formed fog on the window pane. "Why do they sort you into different houses?" he asked curiously, looking over to the other three. What if it made it harder for him to mingle with other students he might become friends with? "Seems a little odd, I never had that at the academy." 

Kat sat down on one of the seats, keeping her distance from the others as she pulled a pen out of her hoodie pocket and started drawing on her hand. She listened to the other talk before looking up, "They sort us into houses because they're supposed to help best fit our needs and personalities. Oh, and my mum has bet money that I'll be placed into Slytherin," She said, answering both questions.
The ones that'll do anything to get what they want... Sounds like us. After all, you made me so that you wouldn't be alone.
Technically, I didn't make you.
She looked back down, not wanting to intrude too much, "And you're talking about Gryffindor." She continued to draw on her hand, flicking her head to the side so that her hair would cover her red eye so that only her black one would be visible to the others.

I'm secretly a Unicorn.
Bow before me peasant.

Christy smiled at the two already in the car, "Thank you, I really appreciate it." She sat down gingerly in one of the available seats and made sure she wasn't too in the way of everyone else. She quietly listened to the other three introduce themselves and talk about Hogwarts. "Wow, they all know so much about Hogwarts already, I don't even know what they mean by 'houses'..." she thought to herself, "well, at least the boy seemed to be new to this like I am, at least I'm not the only one." She didn't want to intrude in the conversation, but the girl who came in when Christy did spoke up, so she thought it would be alright if she chimed in as well.

"I don't know much about Hogwarts either. My parents aren't magick and no one else in my family is either. It's a little overwhelming to be honest..." she said as she nervously fiddled with her sleeves. Her face flushed as she waited for a response from the others, hoping they don't think less of her for admitting that she's clueless. 

"Well technically..." Oh lord, here we go. How to sound like a know-it-all. "The four founders of Hogwarts each had their own desires for what kind of students they wish to teach. For example, Godric Gryffindor accepted students who were daring and brave where as Rowena Ravenclaw valued those of great intelligence. Helga Hufflepuff looked for loyalty and hard working students and Salazar Slytherin approved of those with cunning and wit. He was also the person who voted against accepting muggle-born students at Hogwarts, though when the others didn't agree he left." 

She paused to breathe some, her cheeks showing a hint of red as she realized she was basically lecturing her companions. Yet she couldn't help herself. After a moment of rest, she continued. "So it isn't really about the Houses fitting our needs, it's more about whether we fit the House I suppose." Aileen glanced around the compartment and couldn't help but to let out a soft chuckle. She really was a know it all.

However, her good mood faded as soon as she realized just exactly who were travelling with her. Muggle-born and a half-blood. It wasn't that Aileen shared Salazar's opinion on muggle-born but she did had a strong dislike towards them. Her body tensed, all colour faded from her face and nausea rushed through her body yet she tried hard to maintain a straight face. Stay friendly for now, you don't want to make enemies already. 

"I'm hungry..." She mumbled, trying to stir the topic in a different direction.

Kat looked up at the girl, almost annoyed but didn't show it. She looked back down as she drew on her skin, she was easily annoyed and talking was one of the best ways to get under her skin but she bit her lip, keeping it down.
Be nice.
Bla, blah, blah. Where did I put my books again?
Case. Stop asking me!
I'm asking myself.
She pulled a book out of her suitcase, it was Newts 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' She started reading, paying no attention to the others. Her mother had told her of the book but never actually got it for her until now and she was taking every chance she got to read it, she was already halfway done and she had only started yesterday. 
We can do this and Quidditch, right?
Not sure. Though it is something that I'm really looking forward to.

I'm secretly a Unicorn.
Bow before me peasant.

Reid didn't know if the others shared the same level of interest that he did, but the young wizard looked like he was absorbing a lot of what she said. This wasn't her first time around to this kind of stuff, at least someone had answers. "You sound more like a Ravenclaw if anything." he briefly joked with a slight smile. He glanced at the girl from the corner of his eye, catching the title of the book with a quick flash. Maybe she didn't want to talk much. 

Reid turned back to Aileen, "You weren't able to eat before boarding?" The boy pursed his lips, reaching into the pockets to see if he had anything. Then he remembered his food was in his back, most likely stored somewhere else. "Maybe they offer food here, that or this ride to Hogwarts won't take as long. I just hope it won't be like this one ride I had, six hour train ride from Derby." He realized he didn't even ask the other two what their names were, the boy rubbed his face in disbelief. 

But would they even want to tell him? Maybe he was being too friendly and it was making them uncomfortable. He wished he didn't have to care so much about what other thought, but on some level he did. At least it wasn't like the academy, it was a lot of a harsher world while he went to the academy. Still, he didn't know what Hogwarts truly was like. "I'm uh - Reid by the way ..." he said to the two.

Back