Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in

Compartment 3  Closed 

This RP thread is currently open for newcomers.

The Roleplay: They meet on the first train to Hogwarts, unsure of what houses they'll be sorted into and filled with childish uncertainty. Will they make lifelong friends? Or will friendships crumble before they've even departed the station?
Total number of participants: Four.
Participants involved: Grace Vale, Nadea Jarrah, Alice Livery, Rosalie Weaver.

This will be updated regularly,
though spaces for this RP are limited.
If you'd like to join then please do so,
while you can.
Last edited by Grace Vale on 12th February 2018, 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

"After all, to the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure.”

viewtopic.php?f=169&t=199#p2018

Compartment 3  Closed 

Concentrated clouds of steam billowed up from stationary chimneys of black, red, and gold -- the Hogwarts Express had pulled into the station and the pandemonium that followed was pure anarchy. Grace huddled closer to the tall, pale figure of her mother as they watched her father load one large, clover-green suitcase onto the train. Packing had been a nightmare, Grace had never gone anywhere outside of the realm of her small coastal town. What did you take with you, and what did you leave behind? In the end she'd packed the entirety of her small wardrobe, her favourite books, and a collection of sea shells. Essentially she'd packed her most prized possessions.

Around them the crowd swelled as more children surged forward, some were first years made obvious by their size but most were returning students eager to be going home. There were more people on the platform than Grace had in her entire village population of Ballintoy. It only made her heart perform more nervous aerobatics and her stomach flutter with a kaleidoscope of apprehensive butterflies. Not for the first time Grace wondered whether this was a mistake; her education was incredibly important to her and her mother could only teach her so much. But still, Grace just wanted to be home.

"Alright, I think that's everything," Her father's voice broke through the building panic as he knelt before her. Vibrant, emerald eyes met hers and Grace found her own beginning to tear up -- this would be the last time she saw her parents for many months. Of that she was sure. "Now Gracie there's no need to cry, your mother and I love you very much. We'll write every week and send you new shells." The soft lilt of his Irish accent seemed to enhance the homesickness that Grace felt, but instead of giving into the tears she took a big, shaky breath and bit her bottom lip to stop it from wobbling.

"Yes, papa," Grace hiccuped, unashamed of the few droplets that escaped her eyes as she swiftly wiped them away. This was supposed to be a happy occasion, she was going to learn so much and do so much. It would just have to be without her parents there holding her hand. Her father then pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead, skin just as pale as her own and flushed with grief, and stood up to give her some time to say goodbye to her mother. Golden hair was pushed out of an elegant face and as usual Grace was entranced by her mother's ability to look so stunning. Even when she was crying. Dark, unfathomable eyes stared down at Grace with wet lashes that betrayed her tears despite the genuine smile on her lips.

"You're going to be great," Came her mother's soft but fierce words and before Grace could reply she was being pulled into a firm hug, her father joining swiftly in. They stood that way for a long moment, swaying with the movement of the crowd as they bustled past the three. It was probably a familiar sight to the passerby's, everyone was saying goodbye to a family member today. When her parents finally let go Grace found that the majority of her anxiety had been quelled, her heart was beating faster now but more with excitement than nerves. She was ready to let go.

"We love you, Gracie," Her father reminded her one last time, "Now, go give 'em Hell." He winked and Grace offered them a wobbly smile at the unconventional send-off -- but when was her family ever conventional? -- before she re-adjusted the straps of her yellow bag and stepped onto the train. Ready to face whatever the future may bring.

Compartment 3  Closed 

"Remember, always ask questions. We don't want you to get hurt!" Rosalie heard her father tell her as she lugged her trunk through King's Cross Station. She must admit it, she was rather nervous. Watching the normal folk walk back and forth, some waiting by Platform 10, some waiting by Platform 9, and a few strangely-dressed people she presumed to be wizards and witches lingering between the two signs. And then that's when she saw it. One of them ran into a wall. But, to her surprise, they just slide right through the brick, as though what made up the wall was merely a liquid.

Her mother put a warm hand on her shoulder and muttered: "Be careful around these wizards. I don't like how un-rational their systems are; heaven forbids their school system is any worse." Rosalie nodded as her eyes focused on the wall, as if she still couldn't believe this was all happening. This was fairy-tale-like material, not something that she knows is something that can happen. Magic is a perplexing thing, certainly, and if her books tell her anything, it is that it is much more than waving a silly stick or talking to a peculiar mirror. She hasn't bothered to read any of her books yet, but just the fact that they felt the need to have to include seven books on the supply list told her a lot.

"Be sure to send us post! If we don't see at least one message in our letterbox within the first month I'm calling the school's district committee!" Her mother said as Rosalie started to make her way towards the funny wall. Her breath hitched as she neared it, she didn't dare run into it like she had seen others do, what if it didn't work properly and she just ended up crashing into the hard brick? A few feet away from the wall, she turned to her mother.

"Could you possibly come with me?"

"Honey, we're no magic folk. I shan't wonder what those wizards would take to two non-wizards over there. You're eleven, I think you can make it onto the train alone. Be safe!" Her mother waved a dismissive hand. Sometimes her mother can be rather unempathetic, but she knew it was just her way of showing how much she loved Rosalie. With a deep breath, Rosalie walked through the brick, watching as Platform 9 3/4 formed around her.

Her eyes were immediately drawn to the scarlet train, that gold lettering on the side told her was called the "Hogwarts Express". Not wasting any time, she rushed over to the train, wide eyes taking in as many sights as she could without lingering behind. Taking a timid step onto the train. she found herself entering a rather comfortably decorated train-car.

Rosalie hoped into the nearest compartment she could find, and that happened to be a compartment labeled "Compartment 3". To her delight, it was empty. She wasn't particularly shy, but when she felt so out of place compared to all of these other children who mostly knew of the wizarding world and had some idea of what it held, Rosalie felt it best to shut her mouth. The newly accepted Hogwarts student slid her trunk into the luggage holding nooks up above the seats, and plopped down into one of the seats nearest to the windows. Gazing out through the glass, she watched as several wizarding families strolled by, dropping their kids of all ages off, wishing them the best of luck. Rosalie wondered... would she have any luck at all at this wizarding school, when she didn't know the first thing about being a wizard?

Compartment 3  Closed 

Alice stood on the platform, surrounded by her siblings and her parents. Her sisters could hardly wait to get on the train, and they tugged impatiently at their trunks as if to remind their father to set them on the train. He finally got the hint and went to store them, while Alice hugged her mother one last time. 

"Don't forget to send us owls, dears" she said to Alice and her sisters. Alice promised that she would, and her sisters did the same, nodding impatiently and looking around for their friends. Alice fidgeted with her necklace, a simple silver eye pendant that her mother gave her for good luck. 

"You'll be great, my dears" Her father said, voice booming above the din as he came back. Alice couldn't find any words, and so hugged him too before her sisters were pulling her away. 
"Come on, Alice, we're not going to get a spot with our friends if you keep dawdling!" Alice waved at her parents and little brother, but they were soon lost in the crowd, and as soon as they got on the train Violet and Lilly let go of her hand. "We're going to go with our friends" they said, already walking away down the cramped corridor. 

"WAit! I thought I was going to sit with you though!" Alice shouted, fear rising in her voice. They were already gone, though, carried with the crowd. Anxiety at being left alone was settling in. Alice didn't know where her sisters had gone, or where any of her friends from home were sitting, so she turned and walked into the first empty compartment she found. Or, at least she thought it was empty. She noticed the girl sitting right as she closed the door and jumped to apologize. 

"Oh, sorry! I thought this one was empty... it's so busy out there you know. I'll go on, then" she turned to leave and, seeing the still bustling corridor through the glass on the door, turned around and thought better of it. 

"Actually, do you mind if I sit in here with you, until it calms down at least? I can't figure out which way is up out there" 

Compartment 3  Closed 

Stepping into the Hogwarts Express felt like a huge mistake. The corridors of the train seemed to be a more condensed version of the sheer chaos outside with the crowds only pushed closer together. Students hurried up and down the hallway, some carrying heavy luggage with straining arms, and others protectively holding their pets close to their chests. Grace grimaced at the sight of a particularly rough looking owl clucking miserably in its cage -- it seemed cruel to subject such animals to human pandemonium. Similarly it didn't take long for Grace to give up fighting against the pull of the crowd; she simply allowed them to carry her down the train, moving with the flow of the people, away from her parents and into the unknown.

Out of the corner of her eye Grace spied the numbers of the compartments as they drifted by, the size of them decreasing the further on that she went. It took a moment but Grace abruptly realized that she was almost at the end of the train and she quickly attempted to haul herself out of the crowd. The effort involved was unfathomable for something so minuscule and even then somebody knocked into her as they passed, causing the small blonde to tumble inside one of the emptier compartments. And subsequently stumble into another student who'd planted themselves in the doorway.

Two bodies collided and Grace knocked her chin into the other student's shoulder -- which hurt -- but otherwise managed to regain her footing and her dignity. She swayed backwards, body knocking the door closed behind her with the bright yellow of her bag. And there Grace leaned for a second as she attempted to catch her breath; a lot had just happened in a few seconds and Grace needed some time to process. Shocked eyes were drawn to the girl in front of her, and then the one seated a little behind her, eyes only growing comically in size. The one she'd barged into was the more tanned of the two with clusters of dark freckles across the planes of her face, ones that matched her eyes, and a mass of brown curly hair. Grace zeroed in on her and instantly began apologizing profusely.

"I'm so sorry!" Grace blurted out, trying to organize herself and her thoughts as she held up her hands in a placating gesture. "The crowd is getting so pushy, I tried to stop and then, I was pushed..." She trailed off for a second, looking frazzled with white-blonde hair coming free from behind her ears. Grace dusted herself off, re-adjusted her bag straps, and then held out a pale hand of offering to the girl she'd bumped into. "Here, let me help -- did I hurt you at all? I'm really sorry." Grace mumbled, a pale pink blush dusting itself across the heights of her cheekbones.

For an eleven year old Grace cut an unusual but unimpressive figure, all sharp angles and pale colouring. She looked as if she were made of marble rather than flesh, though much softer and decidedly not bowling ball material. Large, pale green eyes were currently filled with concern and wandering wisps of ivory hair gave her a disheveled appearance. She was clad in distinctly muggle attire, wearing a pair of dark blue jeans, white converse, and a comfortable powder blue hoodie with white daises embroidered over her heart. Take into account the sunshine yellow backpack and hesitant smile -- she wasn't exactly an intimidating figure.

Compartment 3  Closed 

Alice stood, waiting nervously for a reply, when the door opened again and, before she could even turn, someone was hurling into her. She knocked against the seat and the wall, barely avoiding hitting her head, before standing and turning around. Behind her she heard a voice talking, with the same accent as her own. "I'm so sorry!" the voice said as Alice turned. Behind her she saw a girl, about her own height but much more delicate looking. She reached out a hand to Alice and helped pull her upright, still apologizing. Alice raised a hand to her forehead, rubbing it, and waved a hand. 

She gave a small smile back, saying "It's all fine, nothings hurt, I don't think. Are you okay though? It looks like you might have a bruise forming..." Alice bit her lip as she said this. The girl was so pale that she imagined it wouldn't take much for her to gain the dark purple spots. "Don't worry, though, your hair should cover most of it". Turning away from the girl Alice turned to the other, silent through all the action. 

"So, er, we're going to sit down. I don't know about you two but I have nowhere else to go and am pretty overwhelmed."

Compartment 3  Closed 

(OOC: Apologies, and will touch up later, just want to get this out before it's too late.)

"Yes, yes, okay, Mum, we get it. I'll check on her from time to time," a near-woman girl sighed and crossed her arms, becoming fed up. 
"And you too, Altair, you check on her too! And please, for the love of your grandmother, study this year. Don't have your grandma crying from your results again. She believes good grades are in our blood," a plump, rosy cheeked and tanned woman told, holding her son's cheeks in her hand. She begun to smush his face together as she remembered Altair's previous grades, as though some pent up anger was trying to make its way out. 
Nadea looked at the Hogwarts Express, her eyes dashing to every detail. She then decided to watch some older boys in Gryffindor Quidditch sweatshirts get on together. Definitely players. She then watched a little enchanted airplane glide its way over to her, before burying itself between Nadea's case and her leg, right by. It wagged it's end like a dog's tail, walloping for attention. Which is received. Nadea picked up the plane, aimed it back towards the heavy crowds, and released it, letting it swoop like it were wind carrying it. 
A hand landed on Nadea's shoulder, her father. A man she grinned from the attention of. She was quite proud to have an authorised figure she could associate with. He had just been loading their much bigger cases on board, handing them to the operators. 
"Are you ready, sweetheart?" Nadea's father asked, rubbing her tiny shoulder. He nodded as he spoke, knowing her response already. 
"Of course I am, Dad!" Nadea beamed, excitedly. And she was. Nadea had never been so ready for something in her entire life. With her siblings constantly talking about their adventures, she dreamt about her days here. She felt she had been waiting her entire life to learn magic, before she knew it she'd be living her fantasy. 
Nadea's father got them into a circle, all facing inward. A big family huddle. "All right, my perfect children, if you have any problems, don't think twice to send me an owl. And never be afraid to show someone pestering you the Might of Jarrah!" he boomed and shook a clenched fist into the centre. 
Nadea's brother joined in, shaking a smaller fist," yeahehah!" 
"Uhm. That's embarrassing," Nadea's sister took a step back, putting a hand on her hip as she waited for this scene to end. 
The family said a few more goodbyes before parting.

Nadea immediately went to the beginning of the express, just wanting to get closer to the front engine. Once she peeled her eyes from the amazing machinery, she stepped into the first carriage. She looked at some of strange, more muggle outfits. She herself wore a large, green knitted sweater that hung close to her mid thigh. Black, slim but yet loose trousers and black boots made her quite a fashionable witch. Or at least to her.  A quick look around, she found only one compartment had space, and it was already a bit full. Deeming her hands fully she slid open the compartment door listed as 3, with her foot, although it wasn't fully closed yet. "Hey everybody," she rung, as though they were already friends. Nadea just didn't mind people very much, and was smiling to herself. Once the other two cleared, Nadea would sit in the compartment after putting her small case over her head on the shelf. She would take a seat opposite to Rosalie. 

Within OOC, please refer to me as Aaron.

Compartment 3  Closed 

"Well, of course you can sit, I don't own the place," Rosalie said with a smile. It certainly wasn't the nicest, but it wasn't the meanest, so she really didn't see anything wrong with saying such a thing. She glanced back at the window and saw how there was a significant change in the amount of wizarding folk that were there. There were fewer students, and the people who were there seemed to just be gathering up their things and preparing to leave. A few poor owls that were either forgotten by their owners, who were now boarding the train, or they were simply just wild owls, and owls typically are supposed to be. But one thought couldn't help but cross her mind: Can owls fly through the barrier?

If so, can just... anyone cross the barrier? If so, what if one unlucky muggle happened to lean up against the wall and find themselves on Platform 9 3/4? As much as she'd like to dwell more on the topic, Rosalie had realized that there were still other people in the compartment. She herself didn't have much experience meeting new people, as she had the same one friend since... well, practically pre-school. But surely there wouldn't be just one compartment where all four people were completely silent, especially knowing herself and her loud mouth. If only she knew herself well enough to watch her mouth when it happened to open up. Words just flew out like pigeons when the energy cable shook. Moving a strand of light brown hair back behind her ear, back in its place, she started talking. 

"That's an odd jumper you've got there," She said with a merry undertone, looking at the large, green sweater the girl sitting across from her wore. "Where'd you get it? Did someone make it for you?" There went the questions. A right of passage for anyone she met.

Compartment 3  Closed 

Grace rubbed delicately at her chin at the girl's comment on bruising, it was true that the pallor of her skin was usually broken by varying shades of purple. She liked to blame her parents for that one, and the fact she actively avoided going outside unless strictly necessary. Why go outside when you can stay indoors and read, after all? The only really good thing outside were shells. Grace pulled the white-blonde of her hair forward at the girl's suggestion, hiding the forming bruise behind a veil of ivory. Later once the chaos had died down Grace would check her reflection and change into her Hogwarts robe, but for now she'd just have to pretend it wasn't there. 

The wild-haired girl turned back to the one behind her, and it belatedly occurred to Grace that these two also didn't know each other.  And that Grace's entrance had probably made things more awkward, however, when she opened her mouth to apologize another person came in through the door. A girl with a black head scarf greeted them easily and with some unspoken confidence that left Grace feeling envious, she wished she could approach people so easily. For a second she was unsure of what to do, this new girl had sat down without preamble but the one she'd bumped into appeared to be awaiting permission. 

Finally the silent girl spoke up, seemingly amused at the request for seating though she gave it willingly. Grace breathed a sigh of relief and slipped comfortably into the seat beside the girl in the large, green sweater; removing her yellow bag to keep in her lap, wrapping her arms around the prize. Inside she had multiple treasures, including three books -- two of which were school books -- and some writing essentials. Just in case inspiration struck, of course. The quiet girl's comment on the other's jumper made Grace's mind reel, it was difficult referring to them by their first impressions of; girl she bumped into, quiet girl, and new girl. So, Grace decided to wait until the confident girl had replied before finally jumping in.

"I'm Grace, by the way," She introduced herself, offering up a slightly hesitant smile at being the one to cut off the conversation. "Sorry for the late introduction, but it looks like we'll all be traveling together?" What she'd aimed to be a statement trailed off into more of a question, clearly unsure of whether they'd actually be traveling together, as if one of them would jump ship. Though traveling together would be nice, and spark the opportunity for friendship. It also made sense as the compartment spaces would be limited in order to force student bonding, Hogwarts was a sneaky place. 

Compartment 3  Closed 

Alice sat down gratefully, looking around the compartment, when the girl that was there first spoke again. She commented on her sweater, calling "odd" but it didn't seem like an insult, so Alice didn't take it that way. 

"Yea, one of my muggle friends made it for me, so I wouldn't forget about home" she said, looking fondly at it. It wasn't shapely, or even a nice color of green really, but she loved it all the same. In the silence that followed the blonde girl spoke again. Alice was taken aback by the Irish accent, but was happy to have someone from the same roots to bond with. 

"Nice to meet you, Grace, I'm Alice." there was another awkward pause, which Alice supposed would happen quite a lot during the trip, before she spoke again. "And you two are?" she asked, looking at the girls across from her. 

Compartment 3  Closed 

Nadea opened her mouth, but then closed it and smiled when Alice spoke, looking down and rubbing the material of the cosy seat. She looked back up when Grace introduced herself, and smiled, leaning toward the window to give her space. She was in awe of her pretty hair, and couldn't help but please herself with a second of absorbing its magnificent brightness. And what a funny accent she had too. Nadea had heard some peculiar accents across England, Chelsea being her favourite for entertainment, but this one she had never heard anything like in her eleven years. In fact, she wasn't sure the girl was speaking English at first. Nadea fought back any invitation to smile, ordering herself to be respectful. 

Then Alice started to speak, and Nadea got a surprise again. Now half the compartment was pronouncing an array of sounds she'd never heard before. Her siblings had warned her of a lot of stuff, but nothing prepared her for this. She wasn't even fully sure what the second girl said, but she had caught their names. She pieced it together, the compartment momentarily silent as she did. 

"My name is Nadea!" she chimed, smiling as she spoke. She then took off her glasses, not needing them for this close range, and also always a bit insecure that if people only saw her with glasses, she'd look strange without them. It was theory she had collected from observing other glass wearers. She rested them on her lap and swung her feet a tiny amount, a good distance still between Nadea and Rosalie's small frames. 

Within OOC, please refer to me as Aaron.

Compartment 3  Closed 

Rosalie leaned up against the window and glanced at the girl, slightly admiring her enthusiasm. She would like to call herself quite the springy and enthusiastic person but compared to Nadea, that was practically nothing. She smirked a bit, her hands resting gently on her lap.

"I'm Rosalie." She said, before also adding on. "Also, can anyone explain what a "Griffindor" is? I heard a few wizarding folk talking about it, and I'm genuinely curious." She ended the little add-on with a little laugh, trying to hide the fact that she wasn't much more knowledgeable than anyone here. In fact, she would like to say that she knows much, much less than everyone here. While most people here at least had some idea that there even was a wizarding world, she really had no idea until she had gotten her letter, and even then her father had initially thought it was those kids from grade school playing silly games with her. Trying to make her look like the idiot she herself believed she was.

But surely she was better than those people. She could harness magic for Pete's sake, while all those other kids were non-magic folk. Rosalie secretly wished she could just go back to those people, a day was all she needed, and rub in their faces how she was magical and they were not. She assumed she wouldn't be allowed to do that. The families back on the basic platform 9 and platform 10 that were wizards were very hush-hush when discussing how they were going to get onto platform 9 3/4, making sure the surrounding muggles rushing from station to train and back didn't accidentally catch a little snitbit of conversation, or even if they did, it would just sound like the child was describing a funny dream or a storybook they had read in class.

Compartment 3  Closed 

Alice smiled at Rosalie, figuring that she was from an all muggle family. She took it upon herself to explain the houses to her, and the others in the compartment if they needed it. 
"Gryfindor is one of the four houses at Hogwarts. My oldest sister is in it, shes really bold and not really afraid of anything, and that's what Gryfindors generally look for. Then there's Hufflepuff, my other sister is in that. They're generally said to be really loyal and accepting. And there's Ravenclaw, they're curious and seen as smarter, although my sisters friend is one and she says shes horrible at any subject she doesn't find interesting. And last is Slytherin. They're usually ambitious and cunning, and pretty misunderstood according to my sister. But that could just be because she has a crush on one of the boys in it" she gave an awkward giggle, imagining her sister swooning over a moody teenage boy. "Don't worry about not knowing anything, though. I bet a lot of people don't know about Hogwarts." 

Compartment 3  Closed 

Reducio
Are we going to continue this thread..?