Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in

An expert in everything and nothing  Closed 

Kaede sighed a little as he settled himself into his compartment, he was too tired for what was going on around him. He'd woken up early that morning (the crack of dawn, you could say) and now he was regretting it so much, but it didn't compare to his first day nervous and how excited he was to start his magical education. Kaede had assumed that maybe he would be going to Mahoutokoro like his mam and the rest of her side of the family had,  but he was completely delighted that he was going to Hogwarts because it meant that he wasn't really that far away (not the other side of the world at least), just across the Irish sea, which really worked in his favor.

Kaede turned to open the bag that he had placed on the seat next to him, he had a sweet craving and he'd been packed off with an obscene amount of sweets, art supplies and books, yeah loads of each, which actually made him happy and maybe he'd make some friends with his weird set up, if anyone was interested in joining him that was.

Checking the watch on his left hand, he realised that it was time for his language study (something his father had reminded him that he had to do everyday without fail, because he would be needing it during the next summer break). Kaede sighed roughly, he didn't want to do anything but stare out the window.

If he thought about it too much, maybe he'd find it somewhat upsetting but this was the first time that he had really been away from his family and that was something really special and life changing to him.

Ami crept along the train as quietly as humanly possible, still searching for a place to sit. Every single freaking compartment had at least three people in it, and Ami versus more than three people? Hah, no. She was so not ready to deal with that today- she'd nearly had a catastrophic meltdown on the platform alone, and no one had even approached her. Imagine a confined space, now.

Glancing out one of the windows of the train, she spotted her mom waving avidly to her, nearly jumping up and down, attracting some strange looks from the other parents- Abella Marie, ecstatic about something? Wow, a first, they'd think, when in all honesty, Abella was ecstatic about anything concerning her daughter. Ami rolled her eyes dramatically, but the smile on her face revealed exactly how pleased she was inside that her mom was so supportive.

Continuing on through the train, she paused to listen at a compartment that was seemingly empty. Slowly, tentatively, she pushed open the door and peeked in. She yelped in surprise as she realized there was someone else in there- a small boy, staring out the window. Casting a furtive glance down the hallway of the train, and realizing they were going to start off soon, she hissed quickly, "Hey. Can I- uh, can I sit here?"

Howie hopped onto the train, gasping for air. It had taken a full sprint to get to the Hogwarts Express as the final whistle blew before departure. The train his family had taken to London from Birmingham had been delayed, leaving very little time to make it between platforms at King’s Cross. The letter he received had told his parents and himself where to be and when, but made no mention of how to actually get to platform 9 3/4! One would think they would have sent extra instructions to the muggleborns! 
  Luckily, Howie had been fortunate enough to see a wizarding family rushing through the portal in the brick wall. Kissing his mum and hugging his dad goodbye he ran full sprint through the portal, emerging from the other side. The thought of passing through a magical barrier would have normally blown his mind, but the stress of making the train on time pushed that from his mind. 
  Howie stood there looking at the scarlet train, huge plumes of steam bellowing from the engine. This was it! Time to begin his journey towards seven years of magical education. The whistle blew loud, he could hear the last call for all aboard. Bolting towards the train, luggage in tow he hopped aboard. Making his way down the narrow corridor, he could hear compartments packed with excited students. “How can there be this many witches and wizards in the world!” He thought to himself.
  He made his way further down the hall, every compartment seemed to be filled to capacity. A few compartments down, Howie spotted a young witch gently opening one of the doors. He hurried along hoping there would be room for him too. As he approached her, he could hear her whispering to someone inside, asking if she could enter. “Hey! Me too! If there’s room!” He called out.

Stamina: 10 / Evasion: 6 / Strength: 12 / Wisdom: 0 / Arcane Power: 0 / Accuracy: 12

Dana had tears in her eyes after an emotional goodbye from her mother. It has always been just the two of them, her father was long one. To Dana, Hogwarts was a magical place where she can learn and thrive and shine as a witch, learn new things and find a place where she belong - to belong to something. A school, a house, a community, a team or a group of friends. Dana was going to miss her mother deeply, frankly she was worried about leaving her mother for so long. As mentioned before, it was always just Dana and her mother, and with Dana going away it's just Helena left - and Dana didn't want her mother to be or feel lonely.
To Helena Ageenko though, Hogwarts was an opprutunity. The last thing she wanted was for her daughter to end up like her; with a job that doesn't pay much money, a small apartment and a child to take care of. Helena loved Dana more than anything in the world, and she was going to miss her more than she has evr missed anyone or anything, but sending her to Hogwarts ment giving her a chance to fullfill her potantial and have a good comfortable life. Helena always pushed her to study hard and get good grades so she could go to a good university and get a good job, and so Helena sent her off with high hopes.

"I am going to miss you so much!" She said, hugging her daughter tightly.
"Me too mum, I love you!" Dana answered quickly.
"I'm so proud of you, send me letters every day, and make friends." Those were Helena's final words to her daughter before she ran off to the barrier.

Dana walked in the train, aimlessly wondering. Every single stole was full, until she found one with just three people. Not ideal, but at least she'd have a place to sit. Cheeks still stained with tears - although it was barelly visible - she thought to herself you can do it Dana, just intreduce yourself and ask to sit with them. Maybe you'll end up making friends.
She opened the door, "H- hello. My name's Dana. C-can I please sit with you?"

Kaede looked over from the window at the sound of voices asking to join him. Feeling a little embarrassed about the mess that he had made. "Uh hey, sure. Come in, there's plenty of room." He was also awkwardly aware of how small and disheveled he appeared to be, his mother had tried to make him look a little dolled up and fancy for the journey, but had very quickly become apparent that Kaede was going to do his utmost to be comfortable and as untidy as always, he had never really liked to look put together and overly fancy, he was more comfortable doing his own thing. But there were draw backs, because he felt like new people may judge him for it.

"Uh, I'm Kaede Nakamura, nice to meet you all." Of course he could have used his English name, but wasn't exactly used to the idea of being called 'Maple', by anyone, even though that was literally the direct translation of his Japanese name, weirdly, no one had really used his other name because they feared what his mother may do to them (really she wasn't that bad, just feisty when the situation required it).

Kaede looked around him curiously without showing too much interest (mainly because he was tired), before he asked his first question. "Where are you all from?" He liked knowing that about people that he had first met, because he was nosy in that sort of way.

Freaking fridges. So many people. Ami nearly tripped over herself trying to get out of the compartment, but her escape attempt was foiled by the sudden lurch of the train as it started to move. Reluctantly, Ami slinked back into the compartment, and dropped her backpack on the ground, slouching onto one of the benches, curling up against the window. She quickly looked over her fellow three compartment mates- a small, Asian boy with long hair flooping about in his eyes, whose name was Kaede Nakamura; a thin brunette claiming the name Dana; and a boy several inches taller than herself with long, shoulder-length hair.

Ami blinked in surprise as a response to Kaede's question. "Where am I from?" she repeated in disbelief, positive that her accent would give it away. "America- er, the United States of America." Lie. "Ish." There, that was better. Kaede's Irish accent gave away his origin, making it crystal clear that he was from Ireland. Northern Ireland, or just Ireland? Was he from one of the capitals? If so, Dublin or Belfast? The other two students had the clipped vowels of English residents, the accent Ami had been surround with and immersed in on the platform. 

Howie stumbled into his seat on the bench, sitting closer to the door, as the train lurched forward. He placed his suitcase under the bench and looked around, beaming at the strangers. The possibility of new friendships excited him!
  Sweeping the hair out of his face, he looked around and saw the smaller male, who looked of Asian descent, but spoke with an Irish accent as he welcomed them and asked where they came from. This peaked Howie’s interest as he had never met someone with that background before. He was looking a bit disheveled, but Howie didn’t mind, he was always a mess too! The young witch with long dark hair had introduced herself as Dana. Then there was the curly, auburn haired witch that had come all the way from the States. Howie smiled at her, hoping to cheer her up a bit, as she seemed less than enthused to have so many compartment mates. He had seen her try to bolt, but the train started moving, forcing her to stay. “I’ll have her laughing by the time we get to Hogwarts, trust!” He mused to himself. Howie always tried to lift the mood, no matter what situation.
  “Hello there everyone. The name’s Howie, I’m coming from outside Manchester myself.”

Stamina: 10 / Evasion: 6 / Strength: 12 / Wisdom: 0 / Arcane Power: 0 / Accuracy: 12

The amount of people at once sure had Dana feeling anxious, they all seemed nice enough though, which made her calm down. The other curly haired girl looked nearvus as well, Dana could relate to her, it helped knowing she wasn't the only one freaking out. She hoped to make her feel better with time.

"My family is originaly from Russia, though I was born in London." She sat next to the boy who introduced himself as Kaeda.

"So why travel all the way from the United States to here? I heared there's a school there as well, although I can't actually know that being muggle born and all.." Curiosity killed the cat. Dana hoped she wasn't making the girl uncomfortable, but she coulden't help but ask. Once realizing she might have overstepped she hurried to fix her mistake.

"U-umm, you don't have to a-answer it i-if you feel u-uncomfortable. I was just c-curious..." She mumbled hoping she hasn't been unsensitive.

She would have hated it if someone had asked her something she felt uncomfortable about, especialy if it was someone she had just met. The problam is that when nearvus Dana had a small problam reading social quoes, mostly with people she has just met.

She silently wondered to what houses each of the new people would get sorted to, as well as herself.

Kaede lurched forward when the train started up, he just about stopped himself from falling over. He had noticed that the red haired girl had tried to make a move for the door. He smiled as the others introduced themselves. Though he was a little confused by the fact that the red haired girl hadn't gone to the American school, Ilvermorny. Well actually he really couldn't comment too much on the situation, both because he didn't know what was going on and the other was because of the way he had been given the choices of going to two schools.

"There's like eleven great schools around the world, with a few smaller ones dotted around the place. My mam went to Mahoutokoro, that's in Japan." His pronunciation of the name was almost perfect, it would have been better were it not for the fact that his retainer hadn't decided to pop off some of his teeth. Kaede explained it in a way to explain, that yes there were other wizarding schools around the world, he knew a small bit about each one, though it wasn't much. "Russia huh, then that would be Durmstrang or Koldovstoretz." He wasn't one of those kids that had any sort of problems with muggle-borns, he hadn't been brought up like that, besides that he was a halfblood.

"So you're a bee, Howie?" It was kind of an unconscious reference to the symbol that represented Manchester, he liked the fact that it was a pretty bee and he didn't really know any other things that represented each borough.

"So why travel all the way from the United States to here? I heard there's a school there as well, although I can't actually know that being muggle born and all.."
Dana has a fair point, Ami thought to herself bitterly. Why didn't mom let me go to Ilvermorny? Well, because she hates the president, that's why. "I was born in London, but spent most of my life in the US," Ami explained quietly, staring down at her hands. She, against her mom's preferences, considered Chicago to be her true "home", instead of London. After all, she'd spent seven of her eleven years in Chicago, not London. "My mom wanted me to go to Hogwarts, like her." I hate it already, she added, not that she said it out loud, of course. And, of course, she didn't mention the troubles with citizenship, green cards, and visas, for fear of political argument erupting. She didn't want to hear or talk about politics, anymore- not after the past few months.

And then Kaede commented on Howie being a "bee", whatever that was. Did it was something to do with Manchester? To be perfectly honest, all she knew about Manchester was that one soccer team they had... what was it called, again? Manchester United? Yes, that sounded about right.

Howie smiled and leaned forward in his seat, putting both hands on his knees. He was very excited to hear more about the wizarding world, in which he knew very little about. He had tried to read as much as he could in the short time between when he received his Hogwarts acceptance letter and now, but to hear it first hand from people who actually came up in the wizarding world was much more exciting.
  Howie turned his attention towards Kaede as he spoke of the famous wizarding schools from around the world. He smiled and stifled a giggle as Kaede’s retainer slipped during his explanation, it reminded Howie of one of his best mates from back home, but he didn’t want Kaede to think he was making fun of him. 
  Howie then listened to the two young witches, Dana, who’s parents came from Russia and Ami who came up in the States. He hoped that as the train ride went on that they would be more comfortable. Dana seemed a bit nervous and Ami did not seem happy about going off to Hogwarts. She didn’t say it, but Howie thought she seemed a bit put off as she explained that her mother wanted her to attend school in the UK.
  Howie turned his attention back towards Kaede, but did his best to maintain eye contact with everyone in the compartment. “Yeah, you got it right Kaede, I am a bee.” Howie answered his question. “The worker bee is on  Manchester City’s coat of arms. I think it’s supposed to represent the city as a symbol of industry. Bunch of hard workers in Manchester. My family owns a bakery there.” He explained. A sudden thought sprang to his mind, he remembered reading about the Sorting Ceremony and the four different houses that made up Hogwarts. “So tell me guys, what you all think about this Sorting Ceremony? Do you have any idea what house you’ll be in?”

Reducio
Dana hasn't been online for a while, and I really don't want this thread to end. Kaede, do you want to post?

OOC: Yes please! Let’s keep this going!

OOC: Alright, Kaede, you can post since you would go next after Dana. Just say she left and joined another compartment or something.