Platform 9¾

Register
Sign in
  Back

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

As the train picked up speed, Archer looked at his compartment mates to gauge their reaction. The excited grin on his face was slowly drained as he saw the glare from the quiet 'girl'. Oh yeah... That was happening... Before Archer became distracted by the train's departure, he was subtly trying to prod at the true nature of the yet nameless 'girl'. Unfortunately, by the look on her face he was not subtle enough. Oh crap oh darn... How did she figure me out? What will she do to me now? Can she read my mind? Is that how she figured me out? Not good... Not good Archer. Quick! Think about something else, anything else! Elephants... elephants... elephants... elephants...

Luckily for the frazzled boy, the glare has already passed, and Archer found himself still alive. Perhaps it was just a warning from the being for Archer to not pry any further. Message received! Thought Archer frantically. Then, just mere minutes after she just woke up from her nap, the 'girl' closed her eyes, and seemingly fell asleep once more. Strange... Perhaps she expended too much energy reading my mind and needs to replenish it... The young boy thought curiously.

With the mysterious girl asleep, Archer turned his attention back to Vera. He decided that she was very nice for saying that muggle-borns, a term that he supposed meant for wizards who were borne from non-wizards, is not necessarily a bad thing. He also learned that pure-bloods are probably uppity. This interested Archer. However, before he could ask about the topic any further, the train suddenly stopped. That was fast... He thought, not without surprise. We could probably have walked it, if the school was this close to the station... Of course, being a magic train, departing from a magic platform, to a magic school, the train probably just teleported to its destination. In a strange sort of way that could only be the case in a world where magic is real, the second explanation seems to make more sense than the castle being 5 minutes away from the station.

Just as the boy was wondering if he should grab his bag and leave the compartment, the door opened revealing an older woman. In a span of few seconds, Vera made her goodbyes and left the compartment. Archer felt a pang of sadness when she left. Partly because he was enjoying speaking with her, and partly feeling sorry for whatever 'family emergency' could have occurred for Vera to be required to leave right away. The train started its rumble once more not long after Vera had left. Archer could only hope that she would be able to get to Hogwarts using another means after her family emergency has been taken care off.

As the train picked up full-speed, Archer found himself once again with the two 'sisters'. The quiet one kept taking a nap, and he was not really sure what he would speak about with the other one. So finally, and with some sense of relief, Archer reached for his bag, retrieved Howgarts, a History, and opened to page 1.

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

( I'll delete this, but if anyone wants to join this would be a good time, just letting you peeps know!  Also sorry for a note, I know these are disappointing, but I'm not good at dreams at all.. lol XD ) 

The girl whose best friends are books

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

Erin sprinted as fast as her small legs would carry her while lugging a suitcase through the constricting hallway of a moving train. Her breath came in ragged gasps, and she wished, not for the first time, that she had been a more active child growing up. Spotting a compartment just up ahead, Erin glanced over her shoulder several times to make sure her pursuer was nowhere in sight before throwing herself at the compartment's door. She stumbled inside and shoved the door closed behind her, taking in her new travel arrangement. In the compartment sat two girls and a boy. One of the girls appeared to be dozing, but before Erin could fully take in the occupants' reactions to her abrupt entrance, she heard a muffled shout from somewhere out in the train's hallway. Her body jolted into action. Slinging her brown suitcase up into the luggage compartment, the wisp of a girl hastily plopped herself down beside the boy, pushing as far into the seat as possible and, pulling out a book from inside her school robes, promptly shoved her nose into the pages.

"Don't mind me," she said cheerfully from behind the book, just as an irate looking brunette stormed past their compartment, shouting out another indistinguishable exclamation.

Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.
-Edgar Allan Poe

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

Ruby would doze to her heart's content, dreaming of mountainous piles and stacks of books, and she was curled up around them, a dragon upon their horde of gold. Unfortunately for her, the nap and dream was short lived, and she would wake up, irritated the second time in mere short minutes. Seriously angry by now, Ruby would stare daggers at the kid that had just arrived, and, much to her annoyance, someone with an even worse temper than her would stalk by, yelling. Unnerved by the sudden, loud noise, Ruby would grudgingly get up to her feet, slamming the compartment door with an earsplitting crack, and she would groan, regretting her previous decisions as her headphones slid off. 
     Ruby would pick up the headphones and put them back on her head, and she would notice a peak of paper. Excited, she would lunge for it, revealing her precious, missing sketchbook. Ruby's face would light up considerably, and she would hold it close to her chest, sitting right there on the floor to stare at the sketch of Dolce. Sighing, Ruby could had sworn she had almost missed that pesky, irritatingly lovable owl. Content, Ruby would open an interesting looking book, dubbed A Beginner's Guide to Transformation. Luckily for her, it was so interesting that all noise was ignored by her ears as she read about this enthralling topic. To her, transforming her greatest enemies into harmless puppies, and friends into various animals as pranks sounded extremely appealing. She would also wonder... Maybe... Maybe I can do all of that someday, it sounds awesome! And, unconsciously, Ruby's interested smile would split even wider, into an unintentionally creepy grin as she became even more and more excited about the whole wide world of possibilities opened to her now that she had been invited to Hogwarts.

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

"Oooh..." Archer remarked with interest at the information he found on the Hogwarts: A History book. So I guess muggles can't see the castle at all... What about satellites though? No sooner did the question popped in his mind that it was answered by the book, 'Muggle technologies cannot be used within the ground of  Hogwarts.' I guess that'll do it... The book was proving quite interesting despite having 'history' in its title. The excitement of learning about a world he didn't know existed produced a wide smile on his face. But just as he was really getting into the book, the door compartment opened suddenly.

Archer's head jolted upright at the sound and his eyes locked at the direction of the door. He felt a tinge of disappointment when he did not see Vera on the other side of the door. Instead it was yet another girl. The newcomer was breathing rapidly and was looking winded. The young wizard supposed that the girl barely made the train just in time. 

Before he could greet the newcomer, a shout could be heard from the train's hallway, immediately followed by a series of rapid movement from the new girl. In a span of seconds, her luggage was stowed away and she was seated beside Archer, nose deep in a book.  Soon after, the boy heard stomps going pass their compartment accompanied by what sounded like irritation. Hmm... The young wizard furrowed his brows in deep thought and looked at the door and glanced at the newcomer. Recalling her odd behavior, Archer started to think that there was another reason why the girl was running.

Ignoring what the girl said about not minding her, Archer asked with a slight grin and a mischievous tone, "Someone you know?" 

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

Erin warily peered over the top of her book at the boy sitting next to her. He seemed nice enough. One of the girls was staring daggers at her, however. Not quite as friendly or happy at her arrival, Erin decided. For a moment, she felt tempted to deny any involvement, but the boy had a mischievous smile on his face that she decided to trust. Besides, if she was going to take refuge in here, then the boy deserved an explanation as to why.

"Maybe..." Erin admitted, turning her gaze toward where the fuming brunette had disappeared, and sniffed disdainfully, "It is possible that we had a minor... disagreement about the superiority of purebloods."

Erin remembered the contemptuous look the brunette had shot her with. The girl hadn't been too happy to find out that she shared a compartment with a half-blood. Of course, the fact of the matter was that Erin had claimed the compartment first and had been happily enjoying her solitude when the other girl and her posy had arrived.

"I might have then proceeded to humiliate her, unintentionally of course, in front of her friends concerning her very un-expansive knowledge of magic," she continued casually as if discussing some mundane topic such as the weather, ”Then I might have suggested that she was an ignorant snob who regurgitated the ideals of her parents…”

Recalling the horrified and enraged expression on the brunette’s face brought a small smile to Erin’s face. Though the brunette's reaction had been fairly amusing, Erin didn’t quite understand why the girl had become so offended. It had been the truth after all. The haughty pureblood had provided no evidence as to why wizards of "pureblood" were in any way superior to wizards of "half-blood" or "muggle blood".

Based on the frequency with which Erin encountered such angered responses, she was beginning to think that some people didn’t like hearing the truth, but she dismissed that line of thought for the time being. She would contemplate the intricacies of human thought later and instead finished her explanation of events, “Well, things might have gotten a little heated after that... so here I am!”

Her tone took on a more serious note as she concluded, ”But as far as anyone else is concerned, I have been right here the entire time.” Just as she finished her uncharacteristically long-winded explanation, Erin realized she was holding her book The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection upside down. She frowned slightly at the lines of upside-down print, as if the book had betrayed her somehow, and flipped it over to its correct position. As she did this, Erin noticed the previously glaring girl had turned her smiling attention to a copy of A Beginner's Guide to Transformation, an interesting book that Erin herself had read sometime in the last year. She might have made a comment on the book, but the freckled girl wasn't exactly sure how the other girl might respond. Anyway, she was never one to instigate a conversation.

Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality.
-Edgar Allan Poe

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

( I am so sorry about not responding, but I probally won't be able to respond too much until Sunday, so sorry about the inconvenience! ... and my phone refused to let me in Hogwarts.io... ) 
     Ruby was too absorbed in her book to notice anything happening around her, and she would merrily read on without a single care in the world, non whatsoever. As she was looking forward to it earlier, she was eager to try out the food the trolley had to offer, which should come by any minute now, but, in the meantime, she was stuck with a slightly aggravated stomach, her book, her sister, and two strangers. Things are going pretty good, and I haven't acted TOO peculiar... Ruby would think to herself, grinning all the while. 

( Sorry it's short, but i have a ton of work to do... have a great day ;-; )

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

OOC: Don't worry Ruby! There's no rush. Real life always takes precedence. :) There is a problem with the site yesterday so that's why you can't access it sometimes. Use Incognito mode on chrome or try different browsers!

Pure-bloods... Vera did say that the were... What was the word she used? 'uppity'. 

The way that the new girl recalled what happened, flashing a mischievous smile of her own, indicated to Archer that she quite enjoyed what she did. It brought a grin into the young wizard's face. "You know... I've only been part of this world... for 15 minutes or so. But I've sure heard quite a few..." Only a couple, really, "...of less than great things said about pure-bloods. What are they anyway? As someone who were born from muggle parents, I feel that maybe it's best if I don't really associate with them." 

Then, with a sudden start, Archer remembered the other two sharing their compartment, Stupid! What if they're pure-bloods?! You might offend them or... He looked in fear at the quiet 'girl' with the book,...or worse... ,and turned to them with his hands in front of him and an apologetic look, "Of-of course, I'm sure not all.. pure-bloods are like that. Heh heh... You wouldn't happen to be one would you?" Please don't kill me! Archer thought in panic, still unsure regarding the mysterious being currently reading A Beggining's Guide to Transformation

"Anywaaays..." Archer turned back towards the newcomer in an attempt to change the topic, his voice still laced with some nervousness.  "Of course you've been here the whole time... Where else would you've been?" The boy said with a pleasant smile. Then he proceeded to attempt a wink, but ended up blinking instead. "I'm Archer Dunn, from London, and I am very excited to be a wizard." He reached out his hand at the newcomer. 

Indicating to the girls sitting opposite to him he continued, "This is Anna Westfall..." Archer said of the more chatty of the two, "And this is..." He gulped, his eyes looking at everywhere else except for the quiet 'girl', "Haha... I'm teribble with names..." He scratched his head with an obviously fake laugh, "What was your name again?"

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

OOC: Ah! So it wasn't just me. I had that same exact problem and had no idea what was going, but I did figure out to go to incognito. And no worries! As Archer said, real life comes first.

Erin nodded slowly at the boy's question. Setting her book on her lap, she took a contemplative pose, staring blankly out in front of her with hands resting in a steepled position at her chin. In her mind, she was formulating the most perfect and concise answer.

"Pure-blood refers to a witch or wizard with parents of 'pure' wizard blood. Meaning that their lineage is completely muggle free," she stated confidently, remembering a book she'd once read on the topic, "It is much like the muggle kings and queens that you are probably more familiar with. They, for the most part, married only others of royal blood."

Erin found history quite an interesting topic, though she could probably say that about every subject, and if she let herself, she could have expounded for quite a bit longer on the subject of pure-bloods. At that moment, however, the boy seemed to take on a nervous air. He eyed the not-so-friendly girl with an expression of fearful contrition as he, having realized the possible presence of pure-bloods, attempted to amend his potentially offensive comment about pure-bloods.

"Of course not," she affirmed, "It's like trying to say that all Hufflpuffs are soft and cuddly and wouldn't hurt a fly. But as anyone can see reading about the great Hufflepuff Nymphadora Tonks, who gave her life during the Battle of Hogwarts, that is not true." So people couldn't just go about saying that all pure-bloods were stuck-up, though Erin's experiences so far weren't improving her opinion on them much. Hmm... maybe I could do a little experiment when I get to Hogwarts. If I can't find a single friendly pure-blood, then I'll have to reconsider my stance...

Returning the boy's smile, Erin managed to suppress a giggle at the boy's attempted wink. "Erin Blackwood, from the much smaller city of Rochester," she replied, taking the extended hand and giving it a firm yet polite shake, "aspiring Jack-of-all-wizarding-trades"

Or would it be Jill-of-all-trades since I am a girl?, Erin thought. Oh well, She guessed it didn't matter and mentally shrugged. As Archer introduced, or tried to introduce, her to the other two passengers, she nodded politely.

-Edgar Allan Poe

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

Half-a-minute of awkward silence and it was clear that the girl-with-no-name was not planning to answer Archer just yet. Did... Did I offend her after all? The boy thought nervously. Not for the first time, he considered whether he should just make some excuses to leave and find another compartment. However, he could not think of one that potentially would not hurt the girl's feeling, Or cause her to unleash her otherworldly powers to incinerate me on the spot... Besides, he didn't want to leave Erin alone in this awkward situation. 

So instead, Arched just laughed off the lack of reply and said, "That book is that good huh? I've got to start reading it soon myself then..." Alright... I think that was a fine way to handle that. Good job Archer; you may end up surviving this train ride after all.

With that out of the way, the young wizard returned his attention to Erin, increasingly grateful that the girl was there as an option for normal conversing. "Ah... So they're like... The very wizardy wizards..." He poorly summarised Erin's explanation of pure-bloods. Archer wasn't sure who Tonks are and what a Hufflepuff -Sounds like some sort of animal from a Dr. Seuss book- but one thing piqued his curiosity. Leaning forward with sparkling eyes, he asked in a hushed voice, "Battle of Hogwarts? What is that? What happened? Why would there be a battle at a school?" Archer was not sure whether he should be afraid, of excited at the prospect.

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

The awkward situation left Erin more perplexed than unsettled. Her usually reserved and unobtrusive nature had exposed her to many similar situations over the years, giving her a sort of tolerance for uncomfortable silences. The unnamed girl presented quite the mystery, from her seemingly erratic mood swings to her sudden engrossment in the book she held. Perhaps the girl simply found her train ride compatriots annoying and preferred books to dealing with them. If that was the case, Erin could sympathize. She often found the company of books preferable to the company of certain unsavory characters, though she wouldn't exactly describe Archer, Anna, or herself as such.

Turning her attention back toward Archer, Erin noticed the sparkle in his eyes as he asked about the battle she had mentioned in her explanation. The Battle of Hogwarts was an interesting topic, and one of the many that Erin loved to delve into, but she had to pause a moment to carefully consider the question. The Battle of Hogwarts was one of the most renowned battles of recent history and having to ask what it was revealed Archer's extreme lack of basic wizard knowledge. Not that it was his fault though, but it would prove a troublesome obstacle in her attempt to explain.

"Hmm, do you want the longer or shorter version?" Erin asked, gazing about the compartment. From the looks of things, it seemed she would have the time to do either, but it all depended on just how interested Archer was, "It's an intricate story, and I must admit I sometimes get carried away. I wouldn't want to bore you with all the little details."

She thought a moment longer, and decided it would be pertinent to find out the extent of Archer's knowledge before any story-telling happened, "And just so we're on the same page, how much do you know about Wizard history? Does the name Voldemort ring any bells?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

Ruby would lifT her head up from the intresting book upon hearing the name Voldemort. However, her mother had held that sort of stuff from her ever since she was young. Of course it was no surprise then that Ruby would naively ask who ever that was, although, unfortunately for her, she was quite shy. Looking crestfallen now, Ruby would stare at the ground, wondering why she could not bring up her courage to speak to the others to ask a simple question.
     Shrugging it off like she did with most things, Ruby would sigh and grab her sketchpad and a fistful of pencils. She was still joyful about her recent reunion of her sketch book, and a small smile would tug at the corners of her lips as she would flip to a new page, brandishing the new pencil in her hand, pleading not to fall into yet another art block. Determined to find something intresting to draw, Ruby would stare daggers at the nearest person, which happened to be the strange boy from earlier.
     Smiling to herself, Ruby was delighted to find what she wanted to sketch, so she would start making a basic outline of the drawing. Humming in a foreign language, she would merrily draw to her hearts content. ( I am not fluent yet in any other language other than english, but Ruby is because why not! ( I have decided, it is Italian! ):D) A while later, Ruby would sigh, satisfied with what she had put down on paper. She would stare at it, gently criticizing her sketch to herself in Italian. "No, è perfetto quanto imperfetto!" Ruby would suddenly chirp louder than she had meant, causing her to internally groan, fighting off embarrassment.
     Sighing, Ruby would think about Dolce, and she would smile. After all, that owl could always bring her spirits up whenever down. However annoying dolce was, Ruby knew she would always hold a special place in her heart. Not literally, of course, because then Ruby would cease to exist, for then a live owl would be lodged in her heart, and this is not good news to anyone. 

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

"Fawl-dee-mort?" Archer curiously attempted the sound while his brain trawled through its paltry reservoir of information regarding the wizarding world. "Nope, doesn't ring a bell!" And then he remembered something and lighted up, "Oh! Is it one of those crazy jelly-bean flavours? I've heard of those..." The boy's nose wrinkled slightly at remembering some of the rumored flavors. "I was born to muggle parents you see? All I know about all this magic stuff is what was on the letters and the snippets I've overheard in Diagon Alley. Like Kudditch! That's some sort of football for wizards right?" 

Archer then crossed his legs on his seat, getting into a comfortable position for the what he was convinced would be an exciting story. "Hit me with all the details! We've got time to spare right?" Despite his pacifist tendencies, Archer has always enjoyed stories about war. How much better would a battle fought by wizards be?!

Before Erin could begin, however,  a sound from across the compartment startled Archer. The mysterious girl finally spoke, but when she did, it was in an unknown language. The young wizard raised his hands and closed his eyes in fear, This is it! She has finally caster her terrible spell! Goodbye cruel world! A few moments passed unceremoniously. Archer opened his eyes warily and found himself not teleported to a hellscape. Gingerly, he looked at his hands and legs, One... Two...Three... Yep, all there. Still human too by the looks of it.

The boy was wondering if what happened to the spell when something tickled his memory, Wait... Maybe that wasn't some malicious spell cast in an infernal demonic language... In fact, I think I've heard the like around London! What was it...? Spanish? Maybe closer to Italian? Either way, Archer did not speak it. Then another realisation hit him. Perhaps the reason why the girl has been so quiet and strange is not that she was an otherworldly being. She was just foreign! Feeling quite silly for once again letting his imagination go wild, Archer laughed and spoke to the girl, "What language do you speak? Sounds cool... I only speak boring ol' English!"

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

( I'm getting irritated this, is the SECONDA time I accidentally deleted my response. ) 
    Ruby would gently mumble " I-It's Italiano, both me and my sister came from Italy and moved to Germany... "  Squealing her lungs off and rambling about Ruby's accomplishment, Anna would lunge towards Ruby with the intent of a bone crushing bear hug. Eyes widening to the size of dinner plates, Ruby would promptly jolt out of her seat, screaming " SORELLA PAZZE! " while scrambling behind the nearest person, shaking violently in fear. 
     Anna, oblivious to this, would gleefully try to pry the person from the seat in order to get to her sister, a crazy look in her eye. It is official.. Ruby thought glumly, My sister is COMPLETELY BONKERS, oh, I just want that new kid to explain what a " Voldemort " is. Innocently raising their head from their current hiding spot, Ruby would shakily ask; " W-what's a V-Voldemort? " Her voice, of course, was shaky due to their sister scaring the living daylights out of her. She didn't normally mind hugs, but you do NOT want one from her. 
     Shuddering, Ruby would eagerly await the new kid's response, hoping that it would distract her crazy sister. Besides, she was rather curious. Was a " Voldemort " some kind of threat? Maybe an insult? Ruby would think to herself, extremely confused over this puzzling matter. Anna was still eagerly trying to deliver one of her terrifying, infamous bear hugs to her sister, and she was quite confused as to why she had reacted that way. 
    Ruby would freeze, noticing a set of honey colored orbs gazing directly at her. She would smile to herself, thinking they were pretty indeed. She would gasp out loud when she saw a soft, furry head poke their head out, the orbs belonging to a small, adorable creature. What? That's adorable, but what is that?! She would think, panicking. 
( Lol, that sounds good enough to me, and Erin, do you want to respond next? ) (( Yay, Archer you can respond next, I need to catch up and write some chapters, lol XD ) 
Last edited by Ruby Westfall on 27th April 2018, 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

9 3/4 and Compartment 2

Erin watched with growing amusement as the scene unfolded before her. The little Italian girl's antics were beginning to grow on her, and Erin had to suppress a grin as the girl fled from her overenthusiastic sister. When the Italian girl asked about Voldemort, however, Erin allowed the grin to come out full force. Archer had given her permission to go all out, and she was more than happy to oblige. His... slightly... inaccurate guesses as to the identity of Voldemort left Erin with an insatiable itch to correct the mistake.

Erin began her story in a cool, matter of fact way, "Well, the story of the Battle of Hogwarts starts with dark wizard Tom Riddle, who later became known as Lord Voldemort. However, out of fear, many referred to him as he who must not be named."

As Erin continued speaking, her voice slowly and unconsciously transformed from the simple, clear tone of a lecturer to the enthusiastic lilting of a story-teller, "As a student at Hogwarts, some of his earliest crimes involved the murdering of muggle-born students. He framed these murders on the groundskeeper, Hagrid, who was consequently sent to Azkaban, a high-security prison for wizards. Later on, he found a way to achieve immortality. A process that involves splitting one's soul into pieces and hiding them in artifacts. From there, he began recruiting an army. An army that he would later use to start the First Wizarding War. During the war, however, a prophecy arose predicting the birth of one who would bring about Voldemort's downfall," she paused for dramatic effect, eyeing each person in turn, before continuing in a more hushed tone, "As with most stories, he attempted to thwart the prophecy by killing the baby, but the spell rebounded, destroying Voldemorts body, though not his life."

"And so ended the First Wizarding War. The baby, Harry Potter, grew and was accepted into Hogwarts. His years at the wizarding school were riddled with the evil schemes of Voldemort, as the dark lord searched for a way to regain his body. Under constant danger, Harry managed to thwart Voldemort at every turn. That is, until the last Tri-Wizard tournament. During the tournament, a follower of Voldemort was able to trick Harry, and after killing his friend, he used Harry to bring back Voldemort."

Erin stopped her storytelling abruptly, clearing her throat and leaning into the back of her seat, "Before we continue, are there any questions? I would hate to leave anyone confused because I didn't explain thoroughly enough."

Reducio
Here we are! Also, I mainly stopped because this post was becoming so long, and I still had a little ways to go. I am assuming though that you guys know everything from here on, so if you want to say that my character went on to tell the rest of the story or whatever, feel free! But if you want me to tell the rest of the story, that is also an acceptable option.

-Edgar Allan Poe
  Back